What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They sold artichokes at Lidl today!

I've eaten one once, prepared by my mum some 30 years ago.
So can you please share your favourite artichoke recipes before dinner time? Will of course have a look at the Google too to find out what to do with them, but nothing beats using someones favourite recipe. :)

272217412_10224978364560670_5157333085845529894_n.jpg
There's very gew things I've never cooked.... and artichokes is one of them

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And there was me thinking you were going to be fallible, like the rest of us, but no, it was a no sugar cake! I should have known!:)

I don’t like really sweet things any more - they still look good to the eye, but my taste buds have changed. That’s a big advantage.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll let you know if you should after I've eaten!

So far I have made 3 very different and rather odd dipping sauces. Rather odd because I came home with my artichokes completely unprepared so I had to improvise. Very different because I can't remember what an artichoke tastes like, so it's hard to imagine what should go with it. With 3 different ones at least one should do the trick!

Also found out one of my cats goes absolutely crazy over green olive tapenade. (Which I mixed with Greek yoghurt to make a dip. I was guarding the yoghurt, not the olives!)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I've seen videos on how to cook them, but it's always looked so complicated that I haven't bothered. Usually the results don't look very impressive either.

Here's one site:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cook_and_eat_an_artichoke/

If you're concerned about your teeth, it strikes me it might be a bit difficult to eat the leaves.

Edit: I don't mean you should actually eat the leaves - I gather you just kind of strip the insides out of the leaves with your teeth.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
1150EF12-466E-49E2-980B-2A859E8127C5.jpeg
@Antje77 love artichokes but I’m another one who has never cooked them myself I’ve just bought them ready cooked will be interested to see your results and how you go about it.
My cooking today was more pedestrian than artichokes- cooking chicken liver pate, see photo of pate just before put in fridge to set, I used:
Waitrose frozen chicken livers 80p for 250g and less than 1g of carb per 100g see but all supermarkets seem to offer them cheaply:
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/essential-british-chicken-livers/599951-85053-85054
Defrosted chicken livers overnight. Melted about 20g of butter in heavy bottomed frying pan this morning and added livers cooked on medium heat until cooked through.chopped roughly to check cooked. Added flavours when cooked - cooking took about 10mins- - I used dried onion granules, garlic, pepper, and celery salt plus a splash of red wine - you can season to suit your taste. I then put in cylindrical jug and used stick blender to make a smooth pate. Meanwhile melted another bit of butter about 20g. Put puréed pate into dish topped with melted butter and decorated with a dried basil leaf and a few whole peppercorns. Set in fridge.
Lunch about a fifth of the set pate with a few sticks of celery and a hm lc roll followed by yoghurt and a few raspberries
Mid pm 30gof mixed nuts and 10g of 85% chocolate
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with green beans and a glass of dry white wine followed by lc chocolate brownie heated and served with cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 love artichokes but I’m another one who has never cooked them myself I’ve just bought them ready cooked will be interested to see your results and how you go about it.
My cooking today was more pedestrian than artichokes- cooking chicken liver pate, see photo of pate just before put in fridge to set, I used:
Your pate sounds much more complicated than my artichokes, sounds amazing!
I've seen videos on how to cook them, but it's always looked so complicated
I won't faff with cutting the tips off the leaves and such, so I guess I just drop them in a pot of hot water and boil! :)

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: full fat greek with berries and seeds
L: hm lc broccoli soup with added cream, gouda and half a sad looking avocado.
3 sqs berry cake
Mid afternoon walk to deliver something to the other end of the village. It's about 20 minutes there and 20 minutes back but was straight into a very bitter wind so very fast walking indeed.
Lc hot chocolate and a packet of Cheesies
Which seems to have taken edge off appetite so no dinner, yet.
Off to a "social" tonight, not expecting anything low carb. Will i be able to resist I wonder?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 I’ve never cooked artichokes either, I’m looking forward to your verdict.
@Goonergal wow! Cake looks fab. How many carbs per slice was it? And did it affect your BG?

Very busy day today, food was-
B- cheese omelette ( should have had ham too but I didn’t have any)
Mid morning - Postie delivered a parcel containing Lindt 90% choc. A lovely surprise gift, so had a small square with my coffee.
L- didn’t have time.
D- sirloin steak, mushrooms and creamed spinach. Followed a bit later by DGF cake &cream which wasn’t part of the plan but I made a conscious decision to have a treat and not stress about it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a DGF lemon and blueberry cake.
Dinner: Brie and cranberry roll (made with Low Carb Food Company roll and just a very thin spreading of cranberry) with leafy salad and coleslaw followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 Just spotted this. Cut-off the very tough leaves at the base then remove the stalk so they sit flat in the pot. Pop them into plenty salted, boiling water with a slice of lemon if you have it. Depending on the size and how fresh the artichoke it, it can take anything from 15 to 30 mins to cook.
The easy check is, from about 15mins, lift the artichoke out on a spoon and, if a central leaf comes out easily it's ready.

Once cooked you have to get into the centre to remove the choke. There's no mistaking it - it's rather "hairy"! Comes out easily with a spoon.

I always liked them just with hollandaise. Remember with the outer leaves just to pull them off and use your teeth to "scrape" off the soft bottom bit DO NOT eat the tops as they'll make a heck of a mess of your mouth.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now I have the important reply on artichokes out of the way. Can I add, to drain them when cooked, stand them upside down.

Another way I liked artichoke (stripped down to the hearts and No choke, was with spaghetti & anchovies (but obviously pasta is a no no).
You can have the cooked hearts with burrata (a very creamy mozzarella). You can make a dressing with olive oil, balsamic, lemon juice and a tiny amount of honey. Add chopped anchovies & capers and toasted pine nuts on the burrata & artichoke. It's cold dish obviously.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's almost 5.30 pm. Em has gone home with her dad and I'm thinking about making something to eat - it's been all tea today and nothing solid so far. Probably something with eggs will fit the bill. Maybe a couple of fried eggs and that will do me.

BG ridiculously high again, despite a correction dose. Must admit the correction dose did help - dropped it from 18.4 to 11.1 around 5 pm. Been feeling a bit odd with tight chest and a bit wonky when I move around, so maybe that's something to do with the high BG. The lump in my breast is growing fairly fast - I can actually see it now in the right light and it's getting to be a bit uncomfortable - letting me know it's there anyway. Couldn't sleep in bed at all last night - that might be making BG worse.
How long to your pre op @Annb ?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.5 FBG 6.7. Once again I've made minor change/swaps to the DD reset plan. First was on breakfast.

B. TAG and a little later smoked salmon but with scrambled egg rather than avocado & watercress.
L. Nothing but I did have another TAG and a DGF lemon cookie late afternoon as BGs were at 5 and still going down.
D. The DD pork chop with asparagus. (This is the Sunday dinner @DJC3 but I switched it to today as it's haggis on Sunday). I altered the recipe a little too. The "sauce" rather than boil like mad to thicken, I added a little cream and 3 mini mozzarella balls. Thickened very quickly. Had tenderstem broccoli with it.

Currently on a vodka and diet coke to celebrate Friday!
20220121_185441.jpg

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc toasted and buttered and filled with corned beef & a little tomato. Mug of earl grey. 2 squares 90% Lindtt

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette with side salad

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I’ve never cooked artichokes either, I’m looking forward to your verdict.
Can recommend, very tasty, and because of the way you eat it it feels like something special too!
Also, it's the only food I can think of where your plate is fuller after eating than before! :hilarious:

272388673_10224980489293787_1132546852337084360_n.jpg

272249649_10224980488693772_3214901693469193824_n.jpg

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: black coffee, full fat Fage yogurt, walnuts.
No time for lunch. Working out at swimming pool
Mid afternoon: black coffee x2, small piece of cheddar
Dinner: Barnsley lamb chop, brussells sprouts fried in marmite butter, with 3 chestnuts and shallot, sugar free tonic water.

Reactions: Goonergal and Annb

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Don’t think I remembered to post yesterday. Busy afternoon/evening.

Two OMAD days to report on.

Yesterday was slow cooked lamb breast. No pic - demolished too quickly. Felt hungry afterwards but was distracted by a long medical appointment and then Clubhouse.

Today was 2 courses - air fried pork belly pieces (coated in chilli oil) followed by air fried lamb ribs.

View attachment 52974

That belly pork looks wonderful. It's ages since we've had belly...........

Reactions: bkr and Goonergal