New here and struggling

Mummykel

Hi my names Kelly, I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2019 and managed to get it under control with diet and exercise, then covid hit and I haven't seen anyone until this week when a uti has turned into a massive worry, as I have high protein, glucose and ketones but no sign of infection on a urine dip. I have been put on glimepride 2mg along side sukkarto 2000mg and stopped empaglaflozen. Also been asked to monitor blood sugar level, I measured upon waking 1.5mmol then 2 hours later before breakfast 15.6mmol. I am having bloods done this week to check everything including GAD for type 1.
I have no understanding of levels but from Google have worked out neither of the above are in target.
I'm honestly worried that I can't correct this now and don't understand how it's gone so wrong as I've been careful on eating and resumed exercise. I have just got over covid and wondering if that could have effected anything?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @Mummykel

Two likely possibilities here: T2 or T1 diabetes, though there are other types. It is good that they are doing the tests to check.

If it's T2 then it's likely that you have been eating more carbohydrates than your body can tolerate (T2s have a genetic intolerance to carbs in the quantity found in modern diets). If you describe a typical day's food some forumites will be able to advise on how carby it is. In any case if it's T2, there's a good chance that cutting your carbs will reduce your levels to normal quite soon.

Another possibility is T1/LADA (late onset T1). No one really knows what causes this, as it's an autoimmune condition that kills off your insulin producing cells, but once you have it you progress to insulin eventually, so there's nothing you could have done to stop it. Though insulin is no fun, in some ways T1s have more dietary freedom than T2s (they can inject for their carbs) and it's certainly not a death sentence. (I've been T1 for nearly 51 years and am still healthy, and the treatment in my childhood was much less advanced than it is today). If they decide you have this then they'll probably put you on insulin and you should see an improvement quite quickly.

Anyway, no need for self blame or panic, whichever type of diabetes you have, they are all treatable.

Yes, illness tends to push blood sugars up, so it's quite possible that covid has made things worse.

Good luck and once again welcome.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Are you sure the 1.5 mmol was correct because that is an extremely low level and would warant calling 911 or a trip to the A&E.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Sometimes you will find if you go very low , you said you were 1.5 which is very low , your liver can kick in and pour glucose into your system and cause a high giving you a yo -yo effect !

Reactions: jjraak and Mummykel

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
If, as I experienced on several occasions over the years, I had a reading even as low as 1.3, but managed (albeit with minimal cognitive function) to self-correct with fruit juice or similar, then I did not see a reason to seek medical advice. But I assume @JohnEGreen is trying to help @Mummykel understand the significance of levels. Clearly Type 2s can tolerate lower readings than Type 1s, but even then patients vary.

Mummykel

Thank you everyone, I'm going to ring the Dr Monday and have a chat with them. I've never had to do them before and it's very confusing and felt a bit overwhelmed today with it x

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
If, as I experienced on several occasions over the years, I had a reading even as low as 1.3, but managed (albeit with minimal cognitive function) to self-correct with fruit juice or similar, then I did not see a reason to seek medical advice. But I assume @JohnEGreen is trying to help @Mummykel understand the significance of levels. Clearly Type 2s can tolerate lower readings than Type 1s, but even then patients vary.
I think we have different tolerance of low blood sugars , I too have thought I feel a little low so tested and been below 2 and had glucose self corrected without even telling people around me .

Reactions: Grant_Vicat