What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought my piece of pork belly with skin yesterday so today I'll try @Goonergal 's recipe. :)
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2399#post-2478246

My piece is thinner than hers so I hope it works out well. It's currently sitting on a plate in my fridge to have the skin as dry as possible, very excited!
I must have done something wrong, not sure what though. The meat was dry, apart from the real fatty bits.
Too bad, can't have perfect meals every day, and it still filled me up! :)

Reactions: shelley262

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody. Like Coby, I was a bit hesitant of joining in. You all seem to be a group of friends who know each other well and I didn't want to intrude. My name is Rosemary, I am 83 and was diagnosed in 2009. I didn't believe I was diabetic and ignored it. I didn't realise that an A1c of 88 was bad. Now I have seen the light! I have been reading your comments for quite a while and got a good few ideas on what was best for me. So thank you all for that. So today I have had 2 Bratwurst sausages and a fried egg. Lunch will be the remains of the chicken and veg soup I made yesterday and tea will be 2 Ryvitas with soft cheese and slices of strawberries on top.
Welcome! We all started at some point. As others have said we're a friendly bunch and it's an ocean of information as well.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Today I have had....
Breakfast - Two boiled eggs
Dinner - Two freshly made burgers, bacon on top with cheese slice, lettuce slice of tomato.
Evening snack - Cottage cheese with sunflower seeds
Seem to be okay with the cheese slice but time will tell, BG before dinner 6. Will not have anything else as the cottage cheese was at 7pm

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast as out early for yoga in a very cold hall, then straight to the shops for a few bits.
Got tempted to buy 3 choc bars for £1... so did, but at least I only ate one and brought the other too home for the boys. Did enjoy most of it and meter went from 6 to 9. Could have been a lot worse.
L: baked portobello mushrooms stuffed with garlic butter butter cheese, 2 rashers good bacon
D: hm burgers, large salad. 1 scoop ice cream, 3 glasses sloe gin with lots of soda

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've run out of SLC bread but my freezer is rather full at the moment with the DD New me reset. I buy all the food in an end up with loads in the freezer plus extra portions!
I have just replenished my supplies again - they had withdrew the next day delivery service so I had to ration until I got my order about a week later! but I think they should be back to next day delivery again

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.4 FBG 5.9. My BGs have pretty much stabilised after 6 days but still getting the dawn rise if breakfast is delayed. However, even that rise is lots lower. I'd forgotten how much I like knowing what I'm going to eat and even Hubby isn't complaining about his slight amended versions!

B. Stuck with TAG and smoked salmon with 2 scrambled eggs. Then off to rake the boys to jujitsu.
L. Drink of coconut milk when I got back from shopping for today & tomorrow.
D. The chicken and broccoli stir fry I should have had earlier in the week. I made up the spicy, garlic mayo which surprisingly good with it and added green beans. Just water to drink.
20220122_183735.jpg

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
hello & a warm welcome to @RosemaryJackson & @coby - the more the merrier that's what I say ... :happy:

Brunch - 2 scrambled cheese n eggs. Usual mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - sliced turkey breast with brussel sprouts and a little garden peas & carrots. 1 dgf orange & cranberry blondie heated up with some greek yoghurt over the top. Another mug of earl grey

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
hello & a warm welcome to @RosemaryJackson & @coby - the more the merrier that's what I say ... :happy:

Brunch - 2 scrambled cheese n eggs. Usual mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - sliced turkey breast with brussel sprouts and a little garden peas & carrots. 1 dgf orange & cranberry blondie heated up with some greek yoghurt over the top. Another mug of earl grey
I can only have a teeny weeny little carrot and no garden peas. But okay with mushy peas - who knew even I cannot work that out!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have never eaten snails
@Riva_Roxaban, Garlic butter is traditional with snails in France. It can be utterly delicious. I doubt if the actual snails taste of much. There is a vegetarian alternative using mushrooms instead. The advantage of snails is that the shell can be filled to the brim with the melted garlic butter, which is then quaffed off as if from a tiny cup.
I once stayed in a kind of French pub, taking meals in the bar. An old French man had ordered snails and was very pleased with them. He called out to the landlady, "Madame, did you make these snails?" She replied, "Monsieur, it is God who makes the snails. I make the sauce". It was pretty clear which she thought the more important, and she was not wrong!

Reactions: Rachox and maglil55

RosemaryJackson

Morning everyone. Today I've had scrambled eggs for bf and am looking forward to a lamb shank plus roast butternut squash and veg for lunch and 2 Ryvitas with soft cheese and strawberry on top for tea. I was a bit wary of going low carb but have found it quite enjoyable and not as hard as I expected. Maybe I'm getting mellow in my old age!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.4 FBG 5.9. Got breakfast quickly this morning so I'm waiting to see if that suppresses the dawn rise. I know what I'm having today so I'll get this done now.

B. Still on the DD schedule. TAG and Jill's cheese crusted omelette. I'd forgotten how good and filling that omelette is!
L. Nothing - I'll be off to swimming lessons with grandson.
D. Off piste but still low carb - GF Haggis from the butcher (which doesn't spike me), neeps and cauliflower mash. I'm planning on making cranachan with LC meringues & raspberries when I get back. I'll be using Monk Fruit to make the meringues and again for the small amount of toasted oatmeal I'll have to use. There's a good Nick Nairn trick I've used for years when toasting the oatmeal (I was prone to burning it). He mixes it with brown sugar. I use golden Monk Fruit. Spread on a tray and into the oven. Watch like a hawk as it caramelises quickly before the oatmeal has a chance to burn. Once it cools, a quick whizz to break it down but not too much. I never assemble until the last minute. Always just have the cream whipped, meringues crushed and the toasted oatmeal ready to layer with the raspberries. For those who like alcohol in it, soak the raspberries in a LITTLE Jack Daniels Honey bourbon and "accidentally" swirl some through the cream on assembly.
I will have my normal campari and soda too.

Edited to add adjusted burns supper photos. View attachment 53027View attachment 53028

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
OMAD today. It will be the last of the chilli/orange/beef stew that I made a few days ago. Not sure when I'll have it. BG is a bit high again - 13.4 - not high enough to take drastic action yet but I might have to have my meal a bit earlier than intended to get it down to a more reasonable level. So far, since 4 am, only 3 cups of tea. I do take milk in my tea (full cream) so that probably helps to push BG up - of course it takes next to nothing to do that to me.

Last night I chopped up a large bowl full of cauliflower and other veggies to make my piccalilli and left them in salt water overnight, so I'd better get to that - it's ended up rather more than I intended so will have to dig out quite a few jars to store it in.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I may have said it before - I am an experimental cook and rarely remember my recipes from one time to another. I'll try to keep track this time and let you know.

It certainly starts off with "Take whatever cauliflower you have left over and chop into pieces less than 1 cm cubed. Use stalks as well as the flowery bits. Chop a medium sized courgette and a couple of carrots - the same size as the cauliflower. Finely chop a couple of shallots (could use halved baby onions if you can get hold of them - I can't).

Place the whole lot into a bowl with a handful of salt and cover with cold water. Leave to stand overnight, or at least 4 or 5 hours."

I will be adding some apple to give a bit of sweetness but avoiding actual sugar, honey or sweeteners and I will be using cider vinegar. The experiment is in the thickener and the herbs or spices. Usually I just use spices but was thinking of adding my favourite herb - basil - this time. Thinking of using linseed as well. Trial and error is the name of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my OMAD. Took the remaining beef and added some tomato/cauli mixture from yesterday and some spiced yoghurt from a day or so ago - can't remember what I made that for - then divided it into 3 x 1 portion pie dishes. Put puff pastry tops on 2 of them and will get away with a small amount of pastry on another OMAD day. The third one I topped with frozen mashed potato and had that for my meal. Not a huge amount of potato so it is likely to be a reasonable carb level. And the theory is there for testing again (that frozen potato has a lesser effect on BG than fresh potato).

A little earlier my BG rose to 17 so I took a correction dose which depressed the level quite a bit. We'll see what happens after the potato. Couldn't find the cider vinegar but I was sure I had some so making the piccalilli making was delayed until Neil found it for me. I will make it this evening now.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast; low carb granola, a slice of carbzone toast with butter
mocha
lunch: serrano ham with half a pot of cottage cheese and a low carb crispbread. fibre one protein bar
dinner: bacon, egg and a tiny potato skin covered in cheese. raspberries and cream, too much 90% lindt

ordered from DGF as I realised only one mince pie in freezer left! not bad to say they came start of december. never really been into cakes, even pre diabetes but thought I'd try the pecan cookies, orange choc brownies and gingerbread blondies. kept in freezer for an occasional treat, probably still be there in July!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B1DB408E-028B-4EA9-BC5A-C050161554AD.jpeg

Lunch one slice of fried bacon and two eggs with one slice of low carb toast followed by Greek yoghurt and a few raspberries
Dinner roast chicken with a couple of high %pork chipolatas and sprouts with splash of chicken stock with glass of dry white wine followed by DGF lc chocolate brownie warmed and served with spoon of cream.
Will be using left over chicken in a frittata tomorrow and using carcass for hm chicken stock.

Last edited: