My HbA1c Update

Luna21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, so on in early April 2021 I was diagnosed with Diabetes. I came on here in a panic and wrote this thread:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/just-diagnosed-and-devastated.181102/#post-2389139

- Since the day I was told I had diabetes I haven't touched any chocolate, cakes, sweets, crisps, pizzas, high carb foods, sugary drinks, anything I used to have a lot of, I cut it all out and went LCHF. I found it very hard at first as I was limiting myself a lot. Even though I don't feel wonderful still, I don't feel like I want to die like I did before I lowered my levels.

- The end of August 2021 I got Covid and was in the hospital for a week.

- When I was diagnosed my HbA1c level was 58.
- I had my next HbA1c blood test after that in July 2021 and that was 40.
- I had my next HbA1c in December 2021 and my level is now at 38.

I am really pleased with how these readings are going and the nurse is amazed, she thought she would be putting me on medication, which I didn't want.

My issue now though is my Cholesterol. Being on the LCHF I knew I would be eating more bacon, cheese, cream etc than I did before.

My level when I was diagnosed was 4.9
The next one was 5.1
And now it's 5.2 after my last blood test.

They keep trying to get me on Statins, which I definitely don't want knowing the side effects they can have. But the last time the pharmacist from the doctors phoned trying to get me on them. I know it's the breakdowns and not just the 5.2 number. My breakdowns I only have for the last blood test but they are:
Ratio 3.9
HDL 1.34
LDL 3.42
Triglycerides 1.0

I really don't want to go onto Statins, so what is going on with my LCHF and the above numbers. I really want to get them lower. And how bad are they anyway?

Thanks for reading :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hmm, have you been losing weight while all this is happening? My understanding (possibly incorrect) is that weight loss can temporarily increase cholesterol.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A "BRILLIANT & WELL DONE" From me.

When it comes to statins, I'd say @bulkbiker posts would be most informative

If it helps I agree fully with @EllieM

And I did , as I understood read that the real measure is the ratio of trigs v hdl

we naturally make cholesterol, and it can actually be more beneficial not to have it too low as we age.

And it's tryclicerdes that transport the danger.
And for me LCHF took my trigs from very high risk..down to normal....trigs 1.2 iirc..& chol at 5.6 last check

To check ratio, I used this
https://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

Pop yours in for reassurance..they checked out fine.

Obviously more checks for you to do then one blokes opinion on the web, but I'd seek out any statins post by @bulkbiker and delve in from there

Good luck

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My level when I was diagnosed was 4.9
The next one was 5.1
And now it's 5.2 after my last blood test.

Excellent all perfectly normal..

Do you have the breakdown (full liid profile) the overall figure is pretty meaningless in regards to your overall health.

Oops just noticed you have published it...

Your Trig/HDL ratio of 0.74 (1/1.34) is excellent..your heart is likely fine and no drugs required (not that they are mostly anyway!).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done on your HbA1c reduction, keep up the good work!
I’ll leave the cholesterol discussion to those who have a greater understanding than me!