Type 1s and last meal bolus of the day

thewestiesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Taking your bedtime into account what's the latest time of the day you have a meal and bolus?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Whenever I'm wanting to have a meal or a snack requiring insulin.
I do dose a little more conservative close to bedtime though, even with the libre alarms.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Taking your bedtime into account what's the latest time of the day you have a meal and bolus?

Ooooh, tricky one for me.. On average. 8 or 9 pm?
However, I've not eaten for 12 hours, done a gig (can't sing digesting food. Restrict the diaphram breathing. ) then eaten at 1 or 2 am..
Personally had no issues at this late time. (According to my sensor.)
In do find myself more insulin sensitive at the latter half of the day. Even when my basal is meant to have tailed off around 10pm?

It's all indevidual.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I try to eat early evening so I can see the action of my bolus and if necessary take a correction before bed so before 7pm,

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5pm as a rule. Most days I eat main meal in the middle of the afternoon and only eat later if a bit low. So not injecting. However, if out gadding later and food is involved, will eat and inject. Keeping an eye on things at night is now so much easier with the Libre alarms. Irritating but useful!

Reactions: thewestiesmum

thewestiesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I try to eat early evening so I can see the action of my bolus and if necessary take a correction before bed so before 7pm,

Taking into account that the insulin might take 4 hours until it's out of your system how long before bed would you do a correction if one is needed?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
No time restrictions here I eat when I’m hungry worked over 30 years on various shift patterns which resulted in odd eating times , experience and experimentation has got me to where I am now , to be honest I just bolus for the meal I eat . .I don’t seem to have many probs

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6pm as it's improved my overnight readings. If I go to bed early, with a late dinner in my system, my readings can through the roof. I don't have a cutoff time for corrections. I just follow my usual policy of trying to correct as early as is safe to do so* (as the earlier I catch it, the smaller the correction required will be).

*For me, this is no earlier than 2 hours after eating and modifying the correction in relation to Bolus on Board.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Taking into account that the insulin might take 4 hours until it's out of your system how long before bed would you do a correction if one is needed?

I go to bed around 10.30 so will be able to gauge by then what my correction should be like - I do avoid high fat meals tho as this delays the carb absorption so can go high later in sleep otherwise.