Pharmacy Delays UK

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ordered my repeat prescription 11 days ago.

The prescription was signed off by my GP and sent electronically to my pharmacist on the same day I put my repeat prescription in to my GP surgery.

I received the usual text message from my pharmacist eight days later. The pharmacist had everything I asked for.......except my pen needles.

The pharmacist told me there was a problem with their supplier and gave me a slip of paper and said I would get a further text message when they have my pen needles in stock.

Thankfully I still have some unused pen needles left.

The plural of anecdote is not data. But I am wondering whether anyone else in the United Kingdom has had issues obtaining their diabetes prescription items (insulin, needles, test straps, etc) from their pharmacies in a timely manner.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not on insulin, but order tablets, test strips, needles (for glucose meter) & libre online & get my prescription the same day
Obviously helps that my daughter is the pharmacist is looks out for it, but I still try to order a week early just in case

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not on diabetic meds and I have to buy my own test stuff, but I've had serious delays for repeat prescriptions and was told my pharmacy wasn't getting the information from the surgery on the same day since they changed local NHS IT systems again. I used to be able to see a GP, get a prescription sent online at visit and walk a few steps to the pharmacy to collect it, but last time it was 36hrs before the pharmacy got it.
Repeats sent online are now up to 9 days before I get the meds delivered.
I'm also having problems with both my main asthma inhaler and the once a month Vit D capsule. I missed an entire month of Vit D last time as my pharmacy couldn't get it.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ordered my repeat prescription 11 days ago.

The prescription was signed off by my GP and sent electronically to my pharmacist on the same day I put my repeat prescription in to my GP surgery.

I received the usual text message from my pharmacist eight days later. The pharmacist had everything I asked for.......except my pen needles.

The pharmacist told me there was a problem with their supplier and gave me a slip of paper and said I would get a further text message when they have my pen needles in stock.

Thankfully I still have some unused pen needles left.

The plural of anecdote is not data. But I am wondering whether anyone else in the United Kingdom has had issues obtaining their diabetes prescription items (insulin, needles, test straps, etc) from their pharmacies in a timely manner.
What you described happened to me almost exactly 12 months ago. In my case, I relayed that I was almost out of needles and they offered me alternative needles from a different manufacturer until my usual needles came back in stock.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am having long delays in a lot of my repeat medications, not just diabetes ones. Wasn't aware of new IT system, but was told the pharmacy can't get certain ones I order. Currently waiting over 2 weeks for some.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've had no problems with any of my med supplies including needles. Ask the pharmacy whether they have look at alternative needle makes for you. It sounds like supplier problem with your pharmacy.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently had issue with needles but was apparently due to a mix-up at the GP. I have also had problems ordering repeat medication a few time with items appearing on the list but unable to select them. Unfortunately the software used does not work as reliably as we might hope :( I guess the only way to avoid running out is to order sufficiently early.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It may, it may not be, but delays are being reported in certain items coming in from Europe because of the border checks and the paperwork!
Fancy the Europeans putting up trading barriers?:woot:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may, it may not be, but delays are being reported in certain items coming in from Europe because of the border checks and the paperwork!
Fancy the Europeans putting up trading barriers?:woot:
If things are coming into the UK the paperwork and border checks would be ours.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Glad someone is awake!

Funnily enough, you can only find this news on the social network!

Reactions: lucylocket61

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No issues here. My pharmacy are very good and they deliver to me :D

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Issues with my needles too. Had to wait an extra week . Everything else was ok

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I am struggling to get test strips. They just aren’t available in my area.