Big question regarding symptoms and side effects of treatment.

Larna

Hello all. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experience to me and how things worked out?

So I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic and remember clear as day the nurse that prescribed Metformin telling me it will stop me feeling so dry and thirsty. I thought it odd at the time as I had never felt dry or thirsty but as the comment was on the way out of her room I didn't question it.
Skip forward a few days after starting the Metformin (500mg twice a day) and I did then have a dry mouth and need to drink more water. Also my insides swapped from normal regularity to urgent run to the toilet for number twos. Now at this point I had not altered my eating at all yet (I was looking at my food intake and trying to plan a gradual change). So I contacted my Dr's surgery and was transfered to a modified release version of Metformin (1g with largest meal).
Two weeks later I still had the same problem and I'm told to 'stick with it and see if my body gets used to it' 'it should settle down'.

Two months later I was fed up with this and decided to see what happens if I stop the Metformin MR for a few days. On the third day my saliva was wetter, my mouth moister, and I no longer needed to run to the toilet. So I decided to confirm this result by taking a single 500mg Metformin MR tablet, which I took yesterday dinner. This morning my saliva is sticky, my mouth is dry.

So has anyong else had similar reaction to Metformin? If so how did you solve this problem?

Thanks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I haven't taken metformin myself, but I have read the accounts of many on here. Some get on with it, some don't.

Usually the first suggestion would be to ask for the slow release version as that can be easier on the stomach for those who experience that side effect on metformin. However, you've already tried that.

The next suggestion would be to talk to your GP/nurse about removing the metformin and trying either another medication or trying to control the diabetes without medication. Many of us here (myself included) have done just that, so it is very possible.

Metformin alone doesn't directly address high blood sugars, rather it works by helping to reduce insulin resistance by reducing the amount of glucose that the liver releases into the blood, so adjusting your diet is necessary whether you're taking metformin or not so you may not need to make many more changes than you already have.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My initial experience with metformin - 2x500 daily - was spectacularly awful: I didn't dare leave the house, my bowels were so bad, I had very severe stomach cramps, and blurred vision. It all settled down but took about 4 weeks. I am now down to 1 x 500 per day and no side effects.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My mother had terrible issues with Metformin, but she wouldn't stop eating sweets and cake so stayed on it. And developed diabetic complications.
I didn't even try it but went low carb from day 1.

Reactions: T2 Woman

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Never tried it - preferred the diet route instead and am very happy I did. Was back in normal BG range in about three months.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
My experience with metformin was exactly the same as yours. I stuck with it for about six weeks, waiting for my body to get used to it. Eventually I decided enough was enough, I wanted my life back so they went in the bin. I can honestly say that I didn't notice any significant change to my levels. I know it can be a useful drug for people that can tolerate it but all it did for me was make me miserable, I found diet to be a far more effective tool.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So has anyong else had similar reaction to Metformin? If so how did you solve this problem?

Tied to the loo for 3 weeks so binned them.. changed what and when I ate...
best decision ever.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Most people have few problems with Metformin SR as opposed to plain Metformin. Your nurse was pushing the common surgery view that Metformin is a great treatment for Type 2. The reality is that even at max dose it's effect on BS is quite small. I have taken it for 20 years and it has other possible benefits than BS reduction. The most useful way to 'treat' T2 is to have a low-carb diet which the nurse should have told you. If you have any excess weight a low-carb diet will help reduce the weight and BS (and hence thirst). This in turn will reduce insulin resistance and help the body use it's own insulin more effectively. If you are slim and losing weight then Late onset T1 is always possible. Do get hold of glucose meter to monitor your BS

Larna

Thank you all for the info and links. I am going to message my Dr again today about these side effects and tell him I will not take Metformin. Whether he will suggest different medication or not I don't know.
Before I joined this forum yesterday I had very little info about low carb eating and does sound like the way to proceed. It will be a huge change for me as I've always had a sweet tooth and loved cakes, cerials, pies, potatoes, dumplings, bread, etc.
Wish me luck :)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for the info and links. I am going to message my Dr again today about these side effects and tell him I will not take Metformin. Whether he will suggest different medication or not I don't know.
Before I joined this forum yesterday I had very little info about low carb eating and does sound like the way to proceed. It will be a huge change for me as I've always had a sweet tooth and loved cakes, cerials, pies, potatoes, dumplings, bread, etc.
Wish you good luck!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course we wish you well. Just takes a bit of determination and a lot of learning as you have to rethink everything BUT it works! Get a blood glucose meter and you will soon see for yourself what those foods do to your body

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hello all. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experience to me and how things worked out?

So I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic and remember clear as day the nurse that prescribed Metformin telling me it will stop me feeling so dry and thirsty. I thought it odd at the time as I had never felt dry or thirsty but as the comment was on the way out of her room I didn't question it.
Skip forward a few days after starting the Metformin (500mg twice a day) and I did then have a dry mouth and need to drink more water. Also my insides swapped from normal regularity to urgent run to the toilet for number twos. Now at this point I had not altered my eating at all yet (I was looking at my food intake and trying to plan a gradual change). So I contacted my Dr's surgery and was transfered to a modified release version of Metformin (1g with largest meal).
Two weeks later I still had the same problem and I'm told to 'stick with it and see if my body gets used to it' 'it should settle down'.

Two months later I was fed up with this and decided to see what happens if I stop the Metformin MR for a few days. On the third day my saliva was wetter, my mouth moister, and I no longer needed to run to the toilet. So I decided to confirm this result by taking a single 500mg Metformin MR tablet, which I took yesterday dinner. This morning my saliva is sticky, my mouth is dry.

Thanks

Unlike many reports here, I have never had a problem with Metformin. Sometimes a drug can have different side effects for different people, depending on other drugs, i.e. interactions.

Reactions: JMK1954

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Larna I tried to take Metformin for about 5 weeks and was never more miserable in my entire life. I took it with Atorvastatin and thought that I would need to go into a care home.
When I stopped taking it I found I had never needed it. At the first retest my blood glucose levels were normal, my Hba1c was much reduced and I felt so much better.
I am sure that some people must have got some benefit from taking the tablets as prescribed, but there seems to be an awful lot of people who are experiencing the side effects and being assured that they should go on taking the pills for the rest of their lives.

Larna

The reply to my message to Dr about not taking Metformin was: "I've done you a prescription for Alogliptin, take one tablet evert morning". I had thought I would get a telephone discussion at least, silly me.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice.Not atypical, sadly.
Take time to research the new drug before you take it, so you know what to expect.
Hugs.

Reactions: Hezzie

Larna

Well it comes with an info sheet bigger than A4, possible side effect list rather long but can hope I won't get them.... really hope I won't lol. It got delivered half hour ago so will start it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I'm having trouble understanding how taking a drug to squeeze even more insulin out of your poor pancreas can possibly improve your insulin resistance. Unless I'm missing something, have you had a c-peptide test ?

Tutts711

You'll be fine. It a big ask of a single medication to treat this incredibly complex body for a condition where experience differs so vastly from one another.

Binkz

I am a male aged 49 who was sedentary for a few years, in Sept 21 was diagnosed as diabetic with a HBA1C at 52. Doctor checked again a week later it dropped to 51. I had another test 1 month later after a low carb intermittent fasting diet it dropped to 48. On my glucose monitor its now reading on the 90 day average of 5.9. Mmol/l. I read books by dr.Mosley and do HIIT 3 times a week and lost 11kg so far. Personally I want to stay clear of meds and eat my self fitter. Food is medicine supplemented by Fasting and Exercise it can put diabetes into remission. I know I will always be on the spectrum but can manage it by being careful of the Glycemic Index for all that I consume. I do binge on alcohol some weekends and eat carbs. I use cinnamon, ginger, turmeric in water get thru carb withdrawals. Be interesting if I can maintain the momentum long term. Hope this is a help to others.

Reactions: Outlier

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Unlike many reports here, I have never had a problem with Metformin. Sometimes a drug can have different side effects for different people, depending on other drugs, i.e. interactions.
Just an afterthought: At least I don't "know" that metformin does not cause symptoms; I have some symptoms that just maybe be due to metformin induced lactic acidosis-- muscle pain, but I had a fall so I can't distinguish the two. I'm going to try stopping the metformin for a week?