Freshwell surgery low carb manual

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
www.lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/meal-planners/

Not seen this anywhere yet on forum forgive me if it is. From the above link if you click on booklet cover image you can access an excellent new low carb resource in addition to the surgery’s other resources such as their app and website www.lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk
It has info on
Intermittent fasting and time restricted eating
Fats - differences and impact
Carb addiction
Stress and sleep
Supplements including impact of magnesium
The gut biome
Low carb recipes and also
A four week meal planner
I found it very clear and helpful information

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I downloaded the app a while ago, some good recipes on there
Yes agree app is good. This new downloadable booklet only just out January 2022 and reads very well. I feel there is loads of useful information to help us in our low carb journeys.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Some lovely sounding recipes particularly in the dessert/bun/bread front

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some lovely sounding recipes particularly in the dessert/bun/bread front
Agree really fancy trying the low carb granola and also the chocolate orange cake. Only concern is that the granola looks like it could be addictive!

Larna

Reading through the info on 'Time window eating'. I wonder how reducing the window fits with taking medication for pain etc?

The food planner and menu does look very good, I've bookmarked those for oft-reading, Thanks :)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Agree really fancy trying the low carb granola and also the chocolate orange cake. Only concern is that the granola looks like it could be addictive!
Yes, I agree on the granola!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading through the info on 'Time window eating'. I wonder how reducing the window fits with taking medication for pain etc?

The food planner and menu does look very good, I've bookmarked those for oft-reading, Thanks :)
Not sure about the medication issue I do restricted time eating but I’m not on meds. If your meds upset your tummy without food I’d guess you’d have to take care. Something to check with your dr if you need to take regular meds. I think if it were me I’d look at what is sometimes called fat fasting. As fats don’t put up your bgs usually you could just eat small amounts of fat when take your meds eg double cream in your coffee or piece of cheese ? Hope this is helpful.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Great to see a surgery pushing the low-carb approach. My surgery DN also supports low-carb. Also good to see fats being put into perspective. Few seem to understand the way fats are metabolised in the body and the role the liver has in managing blood cholesterol.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great to see a surgery pushing the low-carb approach. My surgery DN also supports low-carb. Also good to see fats being put into perspective. Few seem to understand the way fats are metabolised in the body and the role the liver has in managing blood cholesterol.
Agree I thought the fats information was particularly unusual coming from a GP practice - my own high cholesterol has been an issue with my surgery who follow the very traditional low fat advice so found this refreshing.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was concerned to read one recipe called for 6 tablespoons of erythitol. Since this is a known laxative sugar alcohol, I question the dosage.

Nice to meet a fellow traveller on the LC journey - an echo chamber par excellance. well written, and well researched too. Thanks for sharing it here.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was concerned to read one recipe called for 6 tablespoons of erythitol. Since this is a known laxative sugar alcohol, I question the dosage.

Nice to meet a fellow traveller on the LC journey - an echo chamber par excellance. well written, and well researched too. Thanks for sharing it here.
I had a relook at that recipe think it’s her granola recipe? I’d be inclined to add less than she suggests but as with everything I suspect it would be also how much of the actual product you eat! It looks like it could be tempting to over nibble on! I don’t have any gut issues with erythritol but know some people do - also I tend to use as little sweetner as I can get away with as don’t like stuff over sweet anymore after now heading towards 5 years keto/ low carb.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a relook at that recipe think it’s her granola recipe? I’d be inclined to add less than she suggests but as with everything I suspect it would be also how much of the actual product you eat! It looks like it could be tempting to over nibble on! I don’t have any gut issues with erythritol but know some people do - also I tend to use as little sweetner as I can get away with as don’t like stuff over sweet anymore after now heading towards 5 years keto/ low carb.
Confirmed. Perhaps its a ploy to prevent the 'danger' of overindulgence. Maybe should carry a health warning?????

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Shelley262. Thank you for bringing the Freshwell Site to our notice. I love it and will be trying out some of the recipes.