Parotitis and Diabetes

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evidently because we have compromised immune systems / endocrine disorder we can get parotitis. Has anybody else developed this? Mine appeared on Friday out of the blue. Looked like mumps on one side. Dr said it could be a stone/ infection. Antibiotics haven't started working yet. I now have less noticeable swelling outside but all the salivary glands inside the mouth now hurt. I have a temperature as well. I was taking amiodarone which killed off my thyroid and there is a possible connection with this as well. Going back to Drs on Thursday if no signs of improvement.
I would be really interested if anyone else suffers from this.

alaska

Hi SparkJack

I take it parotitis is a form of infection of the salivary glands. Infections tend to be more likely when the mouth is dry and blood sugar levels raised.

Can I ask if you've had high blood sugar levels recently?

If so, then lowering your levels may help towards clearing the infection.

Ed

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3 weeks of antibiotics and I still have it. The last week I took 2 different types of antibiotics to try and clear it up. Back to docs and then it looks like the max fax clinic at the hospital. Can't even drink while on on the tablets either.......I'm sure the odd brandy or 2 would make a really good mouthwash!

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
SparkJack said:
Evidently because we have compromised immune systems / endocrine disorder we can get parotitis. Has anybody else developed this? Mine appeared on Friday out of the blue. Looked like mumps on one side. Dr said it could be a stone/ infection. Antibiotics haven't started working yet. I now have less noticeable swelling outside but all the salivary glands inside the mouth now hurt. I have a temperature as well. I was taking amiodarone which killed off my thyroid and there is a possible connection with this as well. Going back to Drs on Thursday if no signs of improvement.
I would be really interested if anyone else suffers from this.

Gosh you must be feeling awful. I hope you get well real soon.

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get to feel your falling apart sometimes? Still something wrong with my glands. Blood tests for anaemia and infection clear. Now on a hunt the stones scan that I have to wait 6 weeks for. Good news is no antib's so I can use brandy as a mouthwash. SOOO much better than the proprietary brands.......

QUOKKAGIRL

It appears, after a lymphoma scare, that I have parotitis. Bilateral and painless. I am to have further consultation to establish the cause but I've just spotted that it can be linked to diabetes. I'm type 2 and struggling to maintain good readings. On lyxumia injections and metformin but not stable.
The parotitis has been making me feel fluey and fatigued but no infection on full blood count. I want to be more informed about this before I see the ENT consultant again.
Any experts out there?