Post Covid Blood Sugars

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I'm around day 16 of testing positive of Covid as symptoms are more or less gone apart from cramping within my muscles. I feel like I've lost perception of my ratios, corrections and long acting insulin. Has anybody else experienced this as my blood sugar's are like the big one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Just a visual guide below to what I've been going through. I'm contacting my Diabetes team tomorrow as they basically said see how it goes. Just something that's bothering me a lot.
Screenshot_20220124-205657.jpg
Screenshot_20220124-205623.jpg
Screenshot_20220124-205602.jpg
Screenshot_20220124-205632.jpg

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you testing the highs with finger pricks.
I find Libre tends to exaggerate readings in double figures.
This may explain the roller coaster of you are over treating highs.

Reactions: JCBBFC27

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could have written this post.
My. Blood sugars like that after covid

Tbh they're still really bad. I had covid at the start of Jan. Symptoms very mild
Sugars terrible. Increased my basal. Ratios messed up. Still not sorted

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My BS readings using my Libre 2 have been really high during Covid. I suspect this is partly the body fighting the virus (Sick Day rules) and I also wonder whether the virus is additionally damaging more beta cells which viruses can do.

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad that others understand what I mean. It's very tiring and hard work. Regarding the highs and the Libre now I've been testing when It goes up it does seem off by even 3mmol so only going to correct after testing with the finger prick. I find the Libre definitely over exaggerates lows and highs. Having my bloods done at the doctor's to rule out other issues but think this is going to be a long term thing unfortunately.

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad that others understand what I mean. It's very tiring and hard work. Regarding the highs and the Libre now I've been testing when It goes up it does seem off by even 3mmol so only going to correct after testing with the finger prick. I find the Libre definitely over exaggerates lows and highs. Having my bloods done at the doctor's to rule out other issues but think this is going to be a long term thing unfortunately.
Put my lantus up more. Kept the ratios the same. Still spending 50 percent of the time out of target. Very very frustrating.
Screenshot_20220127-120743.jpg

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
@JCBBFC27

My takeaway from your graphs is that you seem to trend upwards from around midnight.

Questions that spring to mind :-
When do you take your lantus? Are you taking it once a day or twice a day?
What are you typically eating for your evening meal - I find that if I eat late, then something like pasta maight start to increase my blood glucose after the bolus insulin has worn off.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Put my lantus up more. Kept the ratios the same. Still spending 50 percent of the time out of target. Very very frustrating. View attachment 53094
My Libre looks like that after each vaccine. After the booster it took 6 weeks to settle down It’s very hard work, but it will settle eventually. My nurse spoke to me numerous times I ended up doubling my Levemir doing loads of corrections, extra walk8ng but I think it just took time and came right in the end for no apparent reason other than my body had finally got back to ‘normal’! Stick with it I know it’s awful but I am sure you will get through it.

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JCBBFC27

My takeaway from your graphs is that you seem to trend upwards from around midnight.

Questions that spring to mind :-
When do you take your lantus? Are you taking it once a day or twice a day?
What are you typically eating for your evening meal - I find that if I eat late, then something like pasta maight start to increase my blood glucose after the bolus insulin has worn off.
I am currently taking 15 units at 10pm every night. Usually I take 13 but I don't want to push it too much as I worry about it dropping in the night. I haven't actually noticed the midnight trend thank you it's definitely rising in the morning which used to be a problem when I took too much lantus but at the moment don't have a choice.

Markca91

I had covid in November, and I am happy to say that based on my experience, you have nothing to worry about. I had super easy covid (I only had fever for half an hour, until ibuprofen started working, and once it started it never came back). Honestly, covid was probably lighter for me than 90% of other flus I had.

Anyway, even though it was this easy it absolutely destroyed my blood sugar control. I am now risking of being considered as crazy, but my apidra almost completely stopped working for a few days. Usually I take one unit for every 10g on carbs, but I ate 40 grams of carbs, took over 30 units of apidra (I took 5, then 5 more, then 10 more etc) and my glucose still went to 21-22, which never happened for 3 years.

After I took first 10 units of apidra, I took new pen, thinking that insulin is not good. However, that wasn't the case.

Over the next few days, I went to zero carbs, because as soon as I take any carbs, my sugar went to skies. Interestingly, my tresiba seemed to work normally, but apidra almost stopped working. I was really scared that apidra might start working again immediately and that I might go to coma if that happens (if I overdose).

This was happening for a few days and then it started slowly recovering. I had periods where I needed to take 3-4 times more apidra than usual, then 2-3 times more, than 2 times more etc. It lasted probably for a month, slowly returning back to normal.

Again, for me covid was really light, I am vaccinated, I am 30 years old, and my HBA1C tested a few days ago (so including covid) is 41. I never had issues before covid, but while it lasted, it was absolutely mad.

Therefore, assuming it is the same case as with me, it will all come back to normal and you shouldn't worry too much.

JayF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm exactly the same. I use the Libre and your graphs could be mine! Had covid at the beginning of January and was bed ridden for a few days with it. Blood sugars were high which I accepted but 3 weeks since testing positive bloods are still all over the place. I do feel "recovered" and only have a snotty nose in the morning and a cough now and again. I've had to increase my ratios significantly. Novorapid still seems to be working but Lantus isn't bringing the glucose down even though I've increased it to nearly double! I'm feeling so despondent. I'm still doing my lchf regime as well so it's not as though I'm eating the wrong foods. Perhaps I'll give it another few weeks before putting a call into my consultant. I have also read that covid can make your body more insulin resistant which would certainly seem to be my case.
Thank you for sharing. It makes me feel better knowing that I'm not alone in experiencing this covid phenomenon.

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear everyone's struggles even though it's slightly comforting to know others understand. Yesterday I had a good day thinking I was returning to normal. This morning carnage once again .