Chorizo and Eggs

Suzannelife

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BOLL
I think these recipe will great for diabetics. I want to share it with you.

image_thumb14.png

Growing up, we had some of the standard American foods for breakfast—cream o’ wheat, oatmeal, waffles, fried eggs, pancakes (no sugar coated cereals in this household!)—and a couple things I never saw in any of my friends’ homes—huevos, and my favorite chorizo with eggs.

My mother is hispanic by ancestry and looks, and even though she doesn’t speak a drop of Spanish she still cooks what she was taught by her mother, grandmother and relatives, growing up in Tucson, Arizona. Thus we alone on our block had chorizo, or Mexican sausage scrambled up with eggs. I didn’t even know that chorizo was the name of the sausage and not the dish until I was in my twenties.

What is chorizo? A spicy pork sausage. While the Spanish version is usually spiced with paprika and garlic, Mexican chorizo is spiced with chile peppers. I’ve seen chorizo served in Mexican restaurants most often as a side sausage, like bacon. We cook ours up with the eggs and add some raisins as well, the sweetness of which provides some balance to the spicy chile in the chorizo.

Chorizo and Eggs Recipe
  • Prep time: 10 minutes
  • Cook time: 10 minutes
  • Yield: Serves 2 to 3
Ingredients
  • Olive oil or bacon fat
  • 1/3 cup chopped onions (green, red, or yellow onions) optional
  • 1/4 lb of Mexican chorizo sausage, removed from sausage casing
  • 3 Tbsp raisins – soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained
  • 5 to 6 eggs
  • Salt
  • Tortillas – optional
  • Cilantro – optional
chorizo-1.jpg

Chorizo sausage from Whole Foods. Whole Foods has a standard recipe and spices for making chorizo sausage and may make some up for you upon request if you don’t see it displayed.

Method
Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil or bacon fat in the pan. Add the chopped onions (optional) and cook until softened.

2 Once softened, move the onions to the side of the pan and add clumps of chorizo into the pan. Use a wooden spatula to break up the pieces of sausage. Add the raisins. Stir until the sausage is cooked through, though not necessarily browned. If you are not using lean chorizo, drain the excess fat from the pan before proceeding.If you are not using lean chorizo, you may want to cook the chorizo first, draining the excess fat, then remove to a plate while you cook the onions in the remaining fat. We usually cook with lean chorizo, so excess fat isn’t an issue.

eggs-chorizo-a.jpg
eggs-chorizo-b.jpg

eggs-chorizo-c.jpg
eggs-chorizo-d.jpg

3 Crack the eggs one at a time, into the pan. Break the yolks and stir the eggs into the sausage. Add a light sprinkling of salt. Stir constantly until the eggs begin to set, but are still moist. Remove from heat.

Serve immediately with a side of warmed corn tortillas and cilantro as a garnish.

Source: http://mydiabeteswar.com/chorizo-and-eggs/

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've made this before, but minus the raisins yeeuk. Fat is not a problem, I would add more. It's tasty too, although no wraps unless they were low carb.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That does sound very nice @Suzannelife, here in the UK we get our Chorizo sausage from Aldi, we de-skin the sausage and cut it up into small piece and fry it with onions and garlic :)

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love chorizo! I often fry small chunks in butter with lots of asparagus, then crack a couple eggs on top. I prefer them sunny side up, as runny egg yolk is a perfect sauce!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think these recipe will great for diabetics. I want to share it with you.

image_thumb14.png

Growing up, we had some of the standard American foods for breakfast—cream o’ wheat, oatmeal, waffles, fried eggs, pancakes (no sugar coated cereals in this household!)—and a couple things I never saw in any of my friends’ homes—huevos, and my favorite chorizo with eggs.

My mother is hispanic by ancestry and looks, and even though she doesn’t speak a drop of Spanish she still cooks what she was taught by her mother, grandmother and relatives, growing up in Tucson, Arizona. Thus we alone on our block had chorizo, or Mexican sausage scrambled up with eggs. I didn’t even know that chorizo was the name of the sausage and not the dish until I was in my twenties.

What is chorizo? A spicy pork sausage. While the Spanish version is usually spiced with paprika and garlic, Mexican chorizo is spiced with chile peppers. I’ve seen chorizo served in Mexican restaurants most often as a side sausage, like bacon. We cook ours up with the eggs and add some raisins as well, the sweetness of which provides some balance to the spicy chile in the chorizo.

Chorizo and Eggs Recipe
  • Prep time: 10 minutes
  • Cook time: 10 minutes
  • Yield: Serves 2 to 3
Ingredients
  • Olive oil or bacon fat
  • 1/3 cup chopped onions (green, red, or yellow onions) optional
  • 1/4 lb of Mexican chorizo sausage, removed from sausage casing
  • 3 Tbsp raisins – soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained
  • 5 to 6 eggs
  • Salt
  • Tortillas – optional
  • Cilantro – optional
chorizo-1.jpg

Chorizo sausage from Whole Foods. Whole Foods has a standard recipe and spices for making chorizo sausage and may make some up for you upon request if you don’t see it displayed.

Method
Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil or bacon fat in the pan. Add the chopped onions (optional) and cook until softened.

2 Once softened, move the onions to the side of the pan and add clumps of chorizo into the pan. Use a wooden spatula to break up the pieces of sausage. Add the raisins. Stir until the sausage is cooked through, though not necessarily browned. If you are not using lean chorizo, drain the excess fat from the pan before proceeding.If you are not using lean chorizo, you may want to cook the chorizo first, draining the excess fat, then remove to a plate while you cook the onions in the remaining fat. We usually cook with lean chorizo, so excess fat isn’t an issue.

eggs-chorizo-a.jpg
eggs-chorizo-b.jpg

eggs-chorizo-c.jpg
eggs-chorizo-d.jpg

3 Crack the eggs one at a time, into the pan. Break the yolks and stir the eggs into the sausage. Add a light sprinkling of salt. Stir constantly until the eggs begin to set, but are still moist. Remove from heat.

Serve immediately with a side of warmed corn tortillas and cilantro as a garnish.

Source: http://mydiabeteswar.com/chorizo-and-eggs/

This whole recipe and blurb about the Hispanic mother is pasted from Whole Foods Market's website !

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
chorizo seems to be generally low carb - just watch for what you add to any dish using it - the recipe from the OP contains raisins which are high carb.

D

Deleted member 543160

@Julie4Harold Yes chorizo is low carb, so is fine for us T2s! :hungry:

Chorizo is one on my regular LCHF foods and I've cooked it with various different ingredients. but my favourite is:
crustless quiche made with chorizo, baby peppers, baby tomatoes, and oregano, baked in a mix of egg, sweet smoked paprika and soft cheese or quark.

I buy Unearthed Smoked Cooking Chorizo from Ocado or Waitrose:
Nutrition Typical Values Per 100g
Energy 1238 kJ
299 kcal
Fat 26g
of which saturates 9.4g
Carbohydrates 0.8g
of which sugars 0.8g
Fibre <0.5g
Protein 17g
Salt 2.4g

Ingredients

Pork, Paprika (2.5%), Salt, Garlic - nice & simple and nothing extra added.

But you may wish to check what's in other brands as they may contain more ingredients, or preservatives or additives such as nitrates or dextrose.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My local butcher makes them (Chorizo) at his shop here in Bundy , they're nice and spicy but lately have given my insides a bit of grief though.

I just cook them the same way as any other sausage, sorry, I have no copy and paste recipes to post here.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
This whole recipe and blurb about the Hispanic mother is pasted from Whole Foods Market's website !
Really, I tried to find it and couldn't, bizarre :hilarious: