starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

blacksmarty1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi geordie

I couldn't agree more I feel I was so badly let down by my diabetic team
with the information that I was given virtually nil and what I have learned
on this site in a few short months.
Power to the people on here for sharing all with everyone......THANKS!

I am 4+ months on from doing the 'Newcastle Diet' and my bgs are still
never above 5.8 at anytime even 2 hours after meals.

Immis

Hi Blacksmarty,

What has your diet been like since you ended the 'necastle diet'?

Do you portion control?
Eating carbs or not?
Eating like a 'normal' person?

blacksmarty1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Immis

If I'm going to be totaly honest all over the place........ I had planned to continue with the program
after the 8 weeks, having lost 33lbs in that time. But I never got there, it was as if I had been sabottaged
after having a few weeks off the strict regime.
I put a little weight back on initially due to eating more ordinary food and filling up my tum. However
my bgs have still remained low. Most of the time I am in the 4.5mmol to 5.2mmol and depending on
what I am doing socially I am eating 'normal' and then sometimes if I am in the mood I do the low
carb thing. I do always try to do portion control anyway.
But to try and answer your question I have been out for
meals and had a few drinks along the way. Generaly I don't eat potatoes, pasta, rice or much bread,
but I live in France and the bagguettes are wicked and the wine well .... need I say more.
I hope this helps
Diane

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great to hear that the BG are still low now you are back to normal eating, Diane. I have only got two weeks to go so am really starting to think about my diet post newcastle.

You BG's are amazing Immis - so chuffed for you :)

Looks like you and your other half enjoyed valentines day, Geordie!! Me and my hubby had a curry, but I just had a veggie side dish so I didn't fall too far off the wagon - I do not have your willpower and would never be able to go back to the diet if I fell too far!!

Having said that, weighed myself this morning and lost five pound - so celebrated with a skinny latte :oops: I am really missing milk lol :D

evensteve

Last night the Irish national broadcaster RTE aired a show called 'Operation Transformation', the sixth in the current series. It is a weight loss production, featuring dieting leaders and a panel of fitness, diet and coaching experts. One of the sub-stories concerned Michael Casey a 5 year T2 chef, who did the Newcastle Diet under the supervision of Prof. Gerald Tomkin. The result was a loss of 4 stones and +2 hour glucose level of 4.2.

As some of you people are comming to the end of the course, you may be wondering how to keep your glucose levels in remisssion, as there is quite a bit of evidence to suggest that the 'cure' may only be a temporary phenomenon for some, if not most of those who get this far.

Is there any more information to suggest the best follow-up or maintenance diet to persue? The Newcastle diet as it stands is far too restrictive to adapt to normal eating patterns, but if the principles behind its operation were know, it might be possible to devise a suitable long term plan. For example why is all meat, fish and dairy food prohibited? (should this be opened under a new thread?)

Immis

Evensteve,

The meat/fish/dairy is prohibited because of the fat content in these things.
The idea about the diet being that you make your body take as much energy from its own fat reserves as possible.

I agree that it will not be something that lasts forever but this diet has given me the motivation to keep my weight loss off and also allowed me to reset my eating habits.

Coming out of it I intend on keeping the shake for one meal per day but having a low carb and balanced diet for the other meals.

evensteve

Immis: Thanks. Yes, I thought that was the reasoning, but I would like maybe one of the diet architects to give a full explanation of each of the choices and restructions, and the reasoning behind each. I also suspect that the reason for Optifast was used was that it is approved for use in bariatric diets, and the additional nutrients makes it safe for longer term use that the 8 week period. I substitued lean ham, turkey breast, tuna and whey protien for the protien part. (I have only seen the 'official' version since finishing my own 8 weeks at 600 calories).

I am also interested in making the diet more accessible and appealing to others, by introducing a wider element of variety and alternatives, for those who need more choice, or for those who are put off by not being able to obtain or afford the Optifast, or who view its current format as unsafe. Thank you Geordie and others for opening this topic up. It is by far the brightest ray of hope that I have read since being diagnosed t2 last October. :thumbup:

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
ive just viewed the article on RTE and it seems that those that stick to diet seem to have similar results.

At end of day it is proving that on the whole type 2 can be controlled by weight loss, noone said it would be easy but if you can stick to it the results are there to be seen

We all need to stick at it and once we all finish the diet after eight weeks we need to keep posting to give tips and advice and also the pitfalls of returning to a sensible eating regime. One thing iv noticed about myself though is that in the past when i had a craving id go for the sweetest highest carb thing i cud find, now i stop , think about it, have a glass of water and if that doesnt satisy me then grab one slice of meat not the white bread or donuts.

Lets keep it going

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
little tip to all

When you go out for a drink remember that you havent had any alcohol fo rnearly two months, i didnt and boy did i pay for it lol

:lol: :crazy:

evensteve

Catherinecherub: Yes, that's the one. Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, if I access video from my work PC it set off all sorts of alarm bells in the IT dept.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi all
not long till im done , only a week and three days, i may not have lost the weight some of you have - getting on for 1 stone and 10 pounds but my sugars are excellent and the changes to my body are amazing, im even starting to get abs lol and the abdominal 'v' lol, im going to keep this going in a slightly adapted form but certainly going to try to maintain a sensible weight loss, still want to lose another stone and a half or so, or until i feel ive lost enough and look good with sensible bg readings.
Not going to be a very effective prop anymore lol and my barber didnt recognise me lol

kward69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Awesome Geordie! My bloods are not as good as you (had an HBa1C at week four of the diet which came up at 59 - not too bad) but total weight loss 30 lbs or so so far, finish on the 27th Feb. To be honest getting to the point where I'm considering doing it for another couple of weeks cos I'm liking myself in the mirror for once!!

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Same here Kward look in mirror and see a different me lol
Im gona keep going until ive dropped a fair bit more weight tbh, want to get down to preteen weights lol, like 13 stone lol :D

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
weigh day tomorrow last week here we come
mind its been quiet in here lol everyone must be getting heads down for final furlong
going to try and maintian this after next week and see if i can keep dropping weight tbh

Immis

This weeks weight loss is in...

2.7kg

brings me down to 98.8kg
Nothing like the weight loss of the previous weeks, but then I haven't been to the gym once last week.
Only good thing is that my weight is down to 2 digits rather than 3. First time in about 5 years.

Highest BG of the week was 5.0 (this monring) but then I was out till 7.30am and took the sugar reading at 10am so not much of a fast.

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think you are right, geordie - i have my head down, looking at that finishing line now!! one week, two days to go!!

Had my first small fall off the wagon this weekend :oops: Hubby brought the mystery flavour walkers crisps home and we all tried guessing what they were. There are three of us, and three flavours, so i counted that i had had one packet of crisps so had no shake at lunchtime to make up for it - oh dear :shock: On the upside, I believe my guesses were much better than my hubby's and my daughters lol

Immis

Geordie, I was out on the Coke Zero, and watched my mates get drunk....not fun.
I have to say my firends are being very supportive and didn't pressure me into drinking.
It was the first time in 10years that I was the designated driver...now I know what my friend who is always the driver goes through...

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
lol ditto m8 altho i did get drunk this week i stuck on vodka and slimline tonic, looking at my figures didnt do me any harm lol

Now for the figures lol

Weight loss this week 4lb!! Down to 15 st 2lb, that must be my lightest in at least fifteen years!!

My fbg this morning was 5.3 which is slightly higher than normal but didnt take it when i woke up so might be the dawn phemon kicking in.

Have to say im delighted with it and hope to break the 15 st mark next week which will be a massive achievement for me.

keep up the good work everyone you know its worth it

If you have a little slip get straight back on, i think that is really the secret, dont let your head convince you that just cos youve had a crisp or a slice of bread that all the good work is undone, just make up for it the next day. Dont give in that easily as I think in reality we all could.