Bacon smoked or Unsmoked

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Smoked or unsmoked no difference. If honey or maple syrup was used in the curing process that would make a difference.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No carbs in smoke.
Easiest way to check is to see what it says under carbs on the back of the package.

D

Deleted member 543160

I eat both though I generally prefer smoked, but as a T2 I definitely avoid any bacon that's "sweet cured". As @Antje77 says, check the nutritional info if in doubt

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
You had me at bacon. Thick cut would be preferred. Smoke- or no smoke depends on what flavor you’re going for at the time.

Carbs are just on the label.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Smoked for me - a recent development. Always used to eat unsmoked, but recently tried smoked as part of a recipe and I’m hooked, at least so far as streaky bacon is concerned. If eating back bacon, extra thick cut wins. And whatever the cut, the fattier the better!

M

Member496333

I would say that even the sweet cured stuff isn’t exactly dripping in sugar so it’s probably not worth worrying about too much. Exception will be in the US where it’s more like sugar cured with bacon…

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Yummm! Thick cut, crispy bacon! You people are my people!

Reactions: Goonergal

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It may be just a family thing, but I boil bacon for a minute or so then sieve it out and fry it in a hot pan. It must remove a lot of the soluble preservatives including the salt.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It may be just a family thing, but I boil bacon for a minute or so then sieve it out and fry it in a hot pan. It must remove a lot of the soluble preservatives including the salt.
@Resurgam Very good idea! Maybe this could even remove some of the added sugar? I have searched in vain in supermarkets for bacon without nasties.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

RosemaryJackson

Alexandra100. I found bacon and sausages with nitrites and nasties in Tesco. Go under the name of BetterNaked! The sausages are lovely and are 0.7g carbs for 2 sausages. Haven't tried the bacon yet but they do streaky

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
WITHOUT nitrites and nasties!!!! I really must read my letters thro before I post!
There's an edit button under every post. ;)
I'd be in big trouble if there weren't, I always make typos and mistakes! :D

M

Member496333

I think the jury is still out in the case of nitrates/nitrites vs. the people. I don’t pretend to know all the particulars but as always there is more to it than the accepted paradigm suggests. Not unlike saturated fat allegedly being a killer, it turns out that all may not be as it seems. For starters the mouth is already full of nitrites, and apparently even celery contains nitrates. Not sure on the quantities or the apparent complex relationship between the two, but as far as I’m concerned bacon is innocent until proven guilty. Well that’s my excuse anyway.