Which is best? Fewer Calories or fewer Carbss

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cabbage
I've been monitoring my diet using the fitness Pal app. I was proud to loose 10lb over 4 weeks. However, this has lead to me feeling worse. Someone suggested kito flu. So this week I've gone with my gut feeling (excuse the pun) and I eat if I feel hungry. However, I've doubled my total calories, but kept the percentage of carbs the same.

Total calories have gone from 1060 to 2065

Carbs have gone from 33% to 31% of my calories

Carbs Grams from 106g to 139g

I'm worried that I've increased my calories yet at least I've balanced the number of carbs...

... So is it better to eat fewer carbs or eat fewer calories?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Even though you are running and cycling, as a Type 2 the carbs are high. Assuming you eat in an omnivorous way, I would focus on the animal protein e.g 2 steaks, small amount of keto veg, salad and maybe coconut or almond pancakes with a small amount of berries.

Carbs I would half and replace with protein, as you can eat more with more themic effect and better body composition.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
.. So is it better to eat fewer carbs or eat fewer calories?

I don't think there's necessarily a one size fits all answer here. People's metabolisms vary so much. Why don't you get a glucometer and see what effect the changed diet has on your blood sugar levels?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Even though you are running and cycling, as a Type 2 the carbs are high. Assuming you eat in an omnivorous way, I would focus on the animal protein e.g 2 steaks, small amount of keto veg, salad and maybe coconut or almond pancakes with a small amount of berries.

Carbs I would half and replace with protein, as you can eat more with more themic effect and better body composition.
some people are much more tolerant to carbs than others and testing to the meter is a good way to determine how foods impact.

I was able to drop significant weight with very similar levels @Dave Russell was on, and moved to non diabetic hba1c. In fact I probably have more carbs than that, but not much more. I also was able to sustain about a kg drop a week for a good few months, but I also had a lot of weight to lose, it plateaued towards the end, and that’s also something to know, the initial rate of drop may not continue but trend is the aim.

sone others are not as lucky and in that case dropping the carbs down to the lower levels are needed to maintain the levels

All that said, this also depends on the aim. If it is to drop blood levels then that’s one thing, if this is for keto and ketosis then that’s a different matter

also, calories vs carbs is an endless debate. Personally I watched both carbs and calories. I do now believe calories are not always the same, so calories in sweets don’t necessarily correlate to the same weight gain as calories in cheese even though they are implied to be and carb counting is better. But if you eat a whole packet of nuts and a block of cheese you may be low carb but I’m sure you’d pile the weight on

that’s my view anyway, I’m a hybrid :)

Last edited:
M

Member496333

If you’re trying to improve glucose regulation in the setting of pre-existing type 2 diabetes, then fewer carbohydrates. No question. Case closed. Lock thread. Throwaway the key :pompous:

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cabbage
get a glucometer

Oh I should have mentioned I test my BG, which I'm managing and keeping within 'recommened range' - give or take the experimental treat. It's now my calorie intake I want to control and reduce my weight, maybe another 10 lbs.

Reactions: EllieM

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Our problem is that our bodies have become inefficient at using carbohydrates (insulin resistance)
More carbs = more insulin = more insulin resistance
Your percentages and ratios of carbs to calories probably look good on a graph but all that your body see's is the extra 33 grams of carbohydrates that it struggles use.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
some people are much more tolerant to carbs than others and testing to the meter is a good way to determine how foods impact.

I was able to drop significant weight with very similar levels @Dave Russell was on, and moved to non diabetic hba1c. In fact I probably have more carbs than that, but not much more. I also was able to sustain about a kg drop a week for a good few months, but I also had a lot of weight to lose, it plateaued towards the end, and that’s also something to know, the initial rate of drop may not continue but trend is the aim.

sone others are not as lucky and in that case dropping the carbs down to the lower levels are needed to maintain the levels

All that said, this also depends on the aim. If it is to drop blood levels then that’s one thing, if this is for keto and ketosis then that’s a different matter

also, calories vs carbs is an endless debate. Personally I watched both carbs and calories. I do now believe calories are not always the same, so calories in sweets don’t necessarily correlate to the same weight gain as calories in cheese even though they are implied to be and carb counting is better. But if you eat a whole packet of nuts and a block of cheese you may be low carb but I’m sure you’d pile the weight on

that’s my view anyway, I’m a hybrid :)

I have not seen this tolerance play out on this forum - sorry I believe it is wishful thinking mostly, with acceptance of spike tolerances I could name many would not accept as normal. Are we talking about one potato, one slice of bread, or stacks of exercise with the protocol for this to fit.

Yes there are variances in one or 2 foods in terms of spike volume, but if someone is claiming they can do more carbs, I would invite them to show pictures of meals over a period of time (with the pre and post glucose numbers); we can then see if it is a token amount or what could be considered in general as a regular portion e.g. 3 or 4 mid size roast potatoes, a wedge of a side of rice / pasta, 3 slices of regular toast, a bowl of any mainstream cereal (I judging these sizes based on what I would had prior).

I know that I can do mid level carbs such as carrots and butternut quash in satisfaction levels of sizes with my meals to get 5.7 postprandial - could I do this without the exercise (not willing to test). I recall a thread within the last year where someone posted a spike of 4 mmol/L after increased carbs and several thought this was par the course.

Show and tell as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: Dave Russell
D

Deleted member 543160

For me definitely reduced carbs. I work on the basis of enough protein for body repair & maintenance, and a balancing act with carbs and fats for fuel/energy with a bias towards less carbs.

I only ever counted calories many years ago on a 2 week very low calorie diet (600/900 calories alternate days). it was a complete hunger nightmare and though I lost weight, it came back with a vengeance after the diet ended. In no way would this calorie level have been at all sustainable IMO. In contrast, when I was diagnosed with T2 at the end of November 2013 I started cutting right down on carbs, and reduced both my glucose levels and my weight quickly and without any issues - hunger or otherwise. I've kept my glucose at low pre-diabetic levels and my weight stable with my LCHF/ketogenic style of eating for 8 years now. Which suits me fine, and I see no reason not to continue indefinitely.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been advised to go on low calorie, low fat, high carb diets - until I was almost spherical and had very bad type 2 diabetes.
Reducing calories just resulted in no energy, turning pale grey and any exertion resulted in collapse, palpitations and breathlessness.
Low carb eating resulted in energy, increasing fitness and weightloss at higher levels of calories, with increasing well being.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all different.

I've battled my weight all my life, and tried every low-calorie regime there is. Result - permanently wracked with hunger pangs, and weight went back on as soon as I relaxed the regime. Some people never feel hunger, but I'm not one of them.

Low carb - keto in my case - easy peasy, can eat enough to feel comfortable, and I can do this for the rest of my life.

But - that's me. Others will be different.