Just been approved for the libre 2

Bunnie06

I'm so happy , this will help me so much .

I brought one myself a libre one a year or so ago to try it , I fount it didn't stay on me very well now I've got funding for the libre 2 are there any tips or tricks , or does anyone put anything over it to help it stick and stay ?

Oh and how do I get them I've got a phone appointment later with the consultant but do they just get put on your repeat prescription ?

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great news getting the Libre of prescription. As I am sure you found during the trial, it is a brilliant tool provided you understand its limitations.

I would say the tricks that I use for getting the Libre to stick are
- ensuring you place the sensor on a flat part of the arm and not on a part of the muscle that will bend
- ensuring the arm is clean and grease free. This means applying no moisturiser
- being aware of the sensor so you don't knock it. This is something I familiarised myself with over time.

Unfortunately, some people have naturally more oily skin and they need assistance to keep their sensors in place.
Some people use Tegaderm to keep their sensors in place but I am not a fan of using more single use items and they tend to get tatty over time.
Other people have found elasticated straps which can purchase from eBay are helpful. I used one of these for a while but have found I no longer need them.

For me, the Libre was put on my repeat prescription but, depending upon your GP surgery, this can take some time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I brought one myself a libre one a year or so ago to try it , I fount it didn't stay on me very well now I've got funding for the libre 2 are there any tips or tricks , or does anyone put anything over it to help it stick and stay ?

Oh and how do I get them I've got a phone appointment later with the consultant but do they just get put on your repeat prescription ?

Hi,

Great news on approval.. :)

For me, my Endo approved the L2 then sent a letter to my GP instructing they go on repeat. (Of which I was CC'd receiving a coppy.)
You should notice the item added to your prescription list if you order online at your surgery? (If you are registered for online ordering?) your usual chemist wher you pick up your repeats should get them in for you.

I normally fit my Libre after a shower, exfoliating the site whilst bathing then dry. I use an alcahol swab to further clean the area then dry. Sometimes using my wife's hairdryer to speed up the process..
If the new Libre is a little cold? (Fitting in winter.) When primed to fix, I gently play the hairdryer over the unit to help the pad's adhesion, before banging on?
It's a trick I picked up working with "3M" tape for automotive trim or anything attached to the screen like a "dash cam.."

To date, I've not lost a sensor prematurely..

Best wishes.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always use a Hypafix patch over the sensor, I've lost a few before I did.
Without a patch I'm very aware of my sensor, taking care to watch out for door posts, bra straps and curious cat paws (I had one pried off my arm by my cat when I slept once), especially right after swimming.
With the patch I can simply forget about it.

upload_2022-1-27_12-31-10.jpeg

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Bunnie06

Great news about Libre 2. I use Skintac which I buy on Amazon. It makes the skin sticky. On me this works very well.
Good luck

Torres71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news. I'm chuffed with my Libre 2 & am on my 4th now. I use a alcohol wipe, put it on the back of my arm under my triceps muscle. I use elastoplast knee & elbow plasterers. They work a treat keeping it in place. I experimented & did manage 4 days without a plaster until last Saturday. Unfortunately, my Libre 2 got ripped off, as I caught it on my t-shirt when taking it off. Ouch..

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The new Aidex suggest shaving the area - presumably that is only worthwhile if the area is quite hairy. I've followed advice on here to just wash with soap and hot water and to make sure your skin is completey dry before affixing the sensor. I did that and had trouble getting it off again once it had died!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had no problems with adhesion. I clean the area with a couple of alcohol wipes, let it dry and then apply the sensor. Abbott used to supply wipes with each sensor but stopped doing that fairly recently, so I've bought a box of Sterets - 100 for £3.25 from our local pharmacy.

Markca91

Check out four to six life bands. I can't post website since it is blocking me, but start with www. and then write fourtosixlife and then .com

I bought it a few months ago and it is absolutely brilliant. I went on summer vacation and swimming 2 times a day was no issue at all.

For me personally, it is one of the best things I bought.

Markca91

P.S. I did try other things as well, like patches. For me, they are good until they get wet for the first time. Also, I felt like I am creating too much waste.

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have one of the arm bands mentioned but tend not to use it any more. When I apply a sensor, I press around the adhesive edging with a teaspoon, to ensure that it is firmly stuck on and that seems to be working ( I haven’t lost a sensor since going from the Libre to the Libre 2 a couple of months ago.

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots

Hi, I'm new to all this getting diagnosed in November 21. Tried Libre 2 on free trial. My dietitian is getting me put on it. But not heard anything. Nearly a month now. How long was it for you please? Since being diagnosed I've been using caresens dual. But it's a drag as can only be used indoors. Because of temperature atm.

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
For the trial I got a patch from diabetic supply's online. But for the future have bought round plasters from Amazon. 25 for £9.99. There's also a disc with these. Hopefully it'll stop any compression lows