Not drinking enough water

Over the hill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it normal to have raised bg when not drinking enough water? I had the same lunch today as yesterday but went up to 9.2 2 hrs after lunch when yesterday it was 7.9. The only difference i can think of was i was really busy and didn't drink anything.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on fluid restrictions for the past 18 months of max of 2 litres a day, my bgl have been yo yoing a bit. I have been told by my GP not to worry about it to much.

This is caused not only by the small fluid intake, but various medications for other problems, the dyes / barium meal from having CT scans, blood / iron transfusions all have effected the regular bgl I did have.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Has someone told you to drink lots of water?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BG can be affected by many things. Some of which are:
Exercise, duration and intensity
Sleep, duration and quality
Medication
Illness
Stress
So it's very rare that one day is the same as the next. Continue measuring and see if you can spot patterns, but don't stress if you can't. Bg is a wondrous, ever changing enigma

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can confirm water intake does help somewhat with lower blood sugar atleast for me. I wear libre and can see my BG near real time and for me atleast less water intake results in elevated numbers.

Having said that with my ADF regime I try and drink about 4.5 litres of fluid each 24 hours... fluids mind you include coffee, tea ( normal as well as mint) and water. I have also noticed that mint tea seems to have good effect on lowering my BG levels.

Hope this helps.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try and drink about 4.5 litres of fluid each 24 hours... fluids mind you include coffee, tea ( normal as well as mint) and water.
It also includes cordial, gravy, jelly, custard, fruit, and that old whipping boy salt, on my fluid list. It was hard to get to 2 litres a day but I got there when I understood the cause of my fluid retention problems.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
A DN once advised me to drink water to lower a high bg. However, she also advised exercise would do the same and it raises bg for me.