1 a day then after 2 weeks to go up 2 daily

Any advice ??

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Glucose in the blood comes from carbohydrate in the diet, reducing high starch or sugar foods should result in a reduction in blood glucose for an ordinary type two.

pre-predb

Glucose in the blood comes from carbohydrate in the diet, reducing high starch or sugar foods should result in a reduction in blood glucose for an ordinary type two.
That makes total sense, but I eat a low-carb diet and do a lot of exercise, and my Hba1c always hovers round 39-41 (and once went to 42). In the first lockdown - taking advantage of having total control of everything I are - I managed to lose half a stone by going even lower carb, but my Hba1c remained exactly the same. I notice you are hypothyroid - as I am - and wonder how much you know about the effect of that on blood sugars.

I happened to watch a TV programme last night called "You Are What You Eat" which looks at improving people's diets. The two women featured both ate a huge amount of food - mainly high carb junk food and did little exercise. However, their cholesterol was good (3.9) and moreover their Hba1c was 40 and 36 respectively! 36!! And that was the woman who ate a jar of chocolate spread a day! What on earth am I doing wrong?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

I happened to watch a TV programme last night called "You Are What You Eat" which looks at improving people's diets. The two women featured both ate a huge amount of food - mainly high carb junk food and did little exercise. However, their cholesterol was good (3.9) and moreover their Hba1c was 40 and 36 respectively! 36!! And that was the woman who ate a jar of chocolate spread a day! What on earth am I doing wrong?

You have the wrong genes and the wrong micro biome - LOL !

Reactions: Outlier

pre-predb

You have the wrong genes and the wrong micro biome - LOL !
Genetic testing has in fact revealed I have a gene for T2 diabetes, which hasn't happened - though I am at the high end of normal. I would consider I have quite a good micro biome from what I eat.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That makes total sense, but I eat a low-carb diet and do a lot of exercise, and my Hba1c always hovers round 39-41 (and once went to 42). In the first lockdown - taking advantage of having total control of everything I are - I managed to lose half a stone by going even lower carb, but my Hba1c remained exactly the same. I notice you are hypothyroid - as I am - and wonder how much you know about the effect of that on blood sugars.

There’s a brilliant talk by the Canadian nephrologist Jason Fung about exactly this on YouTube. Some of it is counter intuitive which I expect explains the roomful of American doctors being rude to him. Insulin Toxicity - sorry I can't retrieve the web address from my phone

pre-predb

There’s a brilliant talk by the Canadian nephrologist Jason Fung about exactly this on YouTube. Some of it is counter intuitive which I expect explains the roomful of American doctors being rude to him. Insulin Toxicity - sorry I can't retrieve the web address from my phone
Thanks - will try and look that up.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin made a big difference to me. I would say that if you get GI symptoms at first, try to stick it out for a few weeks to a month or so and see if it gets better; my understanding (and personal experience) is that for most people it resolves as you adjust to the medication.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@pre-predb I'm not hypothyroid - my thyroid has started to work again in the last half year and I have been told to reduce my dose of Thyroxine from 200 to 125 micrograms a day in 25microgram stages as my levels were too high.

Reactions: Outlier

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a stunning bit of progress Resurgam, and one that can give hope to a lot of subclinical hypothyroid sufferers too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'd suggest that your "low carb" diet (how many per day do you think) might not be "low" enough carb for you.

Others might not have so much damage as you ...... yet

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, 200 mcg is very high! I take 75.
I needed 200 micrograms for decades but my GP was always pushing me to eat low fat high carb, at least once a year, with diet sheets visits to the clinic and constant nattering as my weight increased.
I have eaten low carb for 5 years now, and feel so much better for it.

M

Member496333

Genetic testing has in fact revealed I have a gene for T2 diabetes, which hasn't happened - though I am at the high end of normal. I would consider I have quite a good micro biome from what I eat.

Has it revealed a gene for type 2 diabetes or has it revealed a gene for an intolerance to a high carbohydrate diet as per the norm in the modern world? The two are not the same thing, in my opinion. If those susceptible ate an appropriate diet then in all likelihood they would live out their days diabetes free. The big question is will those with this alleged gene received the correct dietary advice to suit? Almost certainly not. Just saying. As you were…

Reactions: ziggy_w and Mike d

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you get severe issues with diarrhoea ask to try a different non-shellac coated brand.