almond flour

Drfarxan

Does anyone use it? my wife made me flat breads using almond flour with meat and kidneys on the side last night, feel in love with the almond flat bread. You have to use like one table spoon of wheat flour for the bread to stick(if anyone has another sugestion for this ill be gratefull i would like to avoid wheat flour completely :D ) which is 6 -8 gr of carbs. A half a cup almond flour is 12 gr of total carbs and like 4 gr of net carbs. You get two flat breads from this and it tastes great especially if you add butter.

SO...... who else uses almond flour for bread or something else? does it raise your blood sugar? how and in what do you use it?

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Almond flour is a godsend. Shame it is so horrendously expensive!

The only suggestion I can think of to aid sticking without using wheat flour (it'll be for the gluten I expect) would be to perhaps use an egg?

I used to make all sorts of baked goods with almond flour and it fitted in perfectly with my keto diet. Have fun!

Reactions: Drfarxan
M

Member496333

Never used it myself. Seems to be a great wheat flour alternative to aid glucose regulation, but it’s also high in omega-6 and, worse, oxalate. Sorry to be a party pooper :depressed:

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Coconut flour is another alternative. One uses less of it than almond flour, and it is also significantly less expensive.

Lakeslover

I use it in baking, and also making American style pancakes for breakfast with bacon.
F643563D-33D9-4CE9-AEBA-84774182E04A.jpeg

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone use it? my wife made me flat breads using almond flour with meat and kidneys on the side last night, feel in love with the almond flat bread. You have to use like one table spoon of wheat flour for the bread to stick(if anyone has another sugestion for this ill be gratefull i would like to avoid wheat flour completely :D ) which is 6 -8 gr of carbs. A half a cup almond flour is 12 gr of total carbs and like 4 gr of net carbs. You get two flat breads from this and it tastes great especially if you add butter.

SO...... who else uses almond flour for bread or something else? does it raise your blood sugar? how and in what do you use it?

I agree with you, breads made without grain flours are a godsend.

When making my own bread, I use almond flour, but also include oat fiber and lupin flour (which have even few carbs). Instead of gluten (or wheat flour), I use ground psyllium husk (0 carbs) to give the dough/bread elasticity.

mouseee

Pancakes.... my new found keto love..

1 cup almond flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk.

I added blueberries last time I made them. Makes about 8 small American style pancakes.
I eat 4 and reheat the other the next day.

Yum.

Reactions: Wilber123
D

Deleted member 543160

I don't actually use almond flour due to its higher price, but I've used ground almonds since I discovered low carb baking soon after diagnosis. There weren't many low carb baking recipes available online then, but I adapted my existing ones to low carb using them as a guide to alternative ingredients.

As well as ground almonds I also use hazelnut, walnut and pecan flour/meal on a regular basis, and occasionally use sesame flour for "bread" or for a basic sort of pastry. I've tried coconut flour but didn't get on with it at all. :( The others are more or less interchangeable for most of my baking, using this basic recipe:
Ingredients:
(Approx) 200g of ground almonds
or ground almonds or sesame flour and (golden) flax seed mix - about 60/40 proportion wise
or other nut flours/meals
(Approx) 75g softened butter
3 eggs
1-1.5 teasp. baking powder
Optional
salt for savoury
erythritol/stevia for sweet
One/no eggs and no raising agent for shortcake or biscuits/cookies

I add various other ingredients for range of sweet and savoury baked goodies - my old post lists some of them here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-recipes.4871/page-48#post-987609 - most are flexible and can be baked in individual muffins in pans or cases, a loaf pan/cake tin for bread or cake, flattened into a largish circle and scored for shortcake, or rolled into little balls & flattened for biscuits/cookies.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I just ask, what is the difference between almond flour and ground almonds? Also where do you get your almond flour? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 543160

In general, apart from possible price differences, almond flour is much finer in texture and ground almonds somewhat coarser.

Amazon is usually a good source for both types but check information carefully as some brands have a rather ambiguous description!

Last edited by a moderator:

Drfarxan

Never used it myself. Seems to be a great wheat flour alternative to aid glucose regulation, but it’s also high in omega-6 and, worse, oxalate. Sorry to be a party pooper :depressed:
those two reason are a problem 1.) after you get kidney stones because of oxalate while using almond doctors will blame your low carbs diet and insist that you stop 2.) i love peanuts i tell myself its a good magnesium source but see how the omega 6 affect me from eating peanuts from acnes to minor allergic reactions like itchy eyes(which is inflammation)

But i am guessing in small quantities both wont be a major problem. Balanced amount of omega 6 is actually good and oxalates not good for us as far as i know but small quantity once in while.

Reactions: Member496333

Drfarxan

Can I just ask, what is the difference between almond flour and ground almonds? Also where do you get your almond flour? Thanks.
they look the same to me!!! i am new to the almond flour thing sometimes i just ask the market i buy from to make me the flour from almond nuts directly which looks like ground almonds,isn't the usual ground flour the type of flour that is made with grinding grains between stones?!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I just use ground almonds - much cheaper. And instead of wheat flour, depending on the bread recipe, I use eggs or whey powder or xanthan gum (only a tiny amount of the last!).

Reactions: Mumachelle

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes. Psyllium husk, makes it 'fluffier' I find, and eggs - great almond flour baking binding agent.

The difference in Aotesroa and Australia between ground almonds and almond flour is, I find, just the brand. And either can be courser. You can see through the packet usually, if it has ground skin in it (the courser varierty), or is what they call blanched - no ground up almond skin in it also. A matter of taste which one you like and which works best in what recipe.

I love the stuff for keto and low-carb baked goods. Where it can get you is that it is high-energy - so make sure any extra usused energy isn't being stored around your waist and on your belly! From lots of almond flour. (Ditto any nut flour.) I haven't found it to make a difference with belly fat myself - I can eat quite a lot of it.

But everyone's metabolism is different, ditto their diabetes (to a certain degree) - so different types of food and hidden elements affect us differently.