One week in

Ian in Cheltenham

At the risk of sounding negative...

It's just over a week since I was told I have diabetes and what a difference to the way I feel about myself. I have been overweight for a number of years and last Friday was about 20st. I also have sleep apnea for which I have a machine to help me sleep. The weight has also given me painful knees. I should have done something 20 months ago when I had a glucose intolerance test which came back higher than it should have done but not in the diabetes range. As a result of my foolishness I now what is decribed as a serious medical condition medical condition which I have for life - however long or short it will now be. I am so stupid to have stuck my head in the sand.

I'm feelng guilty for letting myself and others down - I'm not sure I can bring myself to tell some people. I'm not sure how this will effect my relationship with someone who loves and accepts me - I just feel such a different person from my pre diagnosis.

It's a struggle at the moment - it's rather turned my life upside down.

Ian

C

catherinecherub

Hi Ian

Your reactions are quite normal. There are not many of us who were not devastated by the news and we all wished that we had been more sensible about things prior to diagnosis. Some of us thought we were eating healthily prior to diagnosis but have been diagnosed as well. The guilt you are feeling about your situation will eventually fade as you get to grips with managing your condition. The stereotyping by the media does not help the situation either. This condition can be managed and you will get your life back.

The advice that Daisy gave you will help you understand what needs to be done with regard to adjusting your diet. It will take a while but things will become clearer and you will gain control. Keep that food diary going and test to see what you can eat or what needs a smaller portion.

Come back with any questions you have or to have a rant about how you are feeling.

Take care,

CC.

Ian in Cheltenham

Part 2!

Like other posters I have started viewing food as poison. I've really eaten very little this week and lost about 12 lbs which is good but may have contributed to my low mood. I'm not sleeping at all well and have restless and painful nerves which could be psychosymatic as its unlikely I could have damaged them so quickly (or is it?). My first session with the diabetic nurse was not very reassuring yesterday - questions like 'how do I know what damage has been done already to my body?'' and 'will I be able to stop or slowdown futher damage without resorting to tablets?' she couldnt answer. THe DN suggested I see a Dr as she though I was depressed - I did cry a little. All in all I feel a bit of a basket case.

Sorry to off load like this but I am in anxiety freefall.

Ian

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
You are still the same person you were before diagnosis, so the person "who loves and accepts me " will still love and accept you. It's how you feel about yourself that's causing the problems, but this disease can be controlled and with the love of such a partner you have every incentive to take that control-good luck

Ian in Cheltenham

@gappy thank you

I started eating more sensibly towards the end of the week - 3 meals a day. Mainly protein and salads and a little carb. In all I lost 12 lbs - so the worry helped kick start the diet! On reflection my calorie intake probably did nt much exceed the first week of the Newcastle University Experiment. I think it may have had a positive effect on my BG levels. Yesterday my highest level was 6.5 on waking up. The rest were breadkfast +2 hours = 5.9, Lunch + 2 hours = 5.5, pre dinner = 5 and Dinner + 2 hours 5.9. However, I'm not going to get cocky or complacent - round 1 may to me be but there's a lot more bouts to fight!

Ian in Cheltenham

On reflection could it be that anyone can get their levels to those if they cut back drastically for a week. Would be grateful for any comments so I don't end up deceiving myself.

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ian - it sounds like your getting it all together, I got a wake up call 2 weeks ago and my BS levels are all over the place 8.9 up 18.9 , like you Im a big lad was 23 st 7lbs 2 weeks ago , now 22st 5lbs .
as my levels are all over the shop Im concentrating in getiing them lower, stabilising them and getting down to around 16 st ( hmm that will take a while ) .
'tis not the end of the world , just another stage to deal with , I have a couple of other problems like osteo arthritis in both knees, chronic venous insufficiency in both legs, asthma and now diabetes . Most of it my fault as Im way overweight and have beaten the **** out of my body over the years .. rugby, skiing, hill walking, ice hockey and lots of martial arts, I stopped fighting in the ring at age 45 whan i was 20 st ( 3 black belts( karate, ju-jitsu, kick boxing) , qualified kick boxing coach , judge, ref etc ) . I'm now 58 and a bit knackerd single dad .
I'm going to lose weight, reduce my BS levels and take control .. my target is to put a couple of planks on my feets and slide down a scottish mountain again before I am 60.
Good luck with this , it sounds like you are getting positive .
slainthe
Hamish - Ispwich
HBA1c 12.6%
Cholesterol 5.5.
BP 132/80

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Well done Ian on getting some control again, althoug I wouldn't expect to lose 12lb every week! I make small changes and have lost 2 1/2 stone and now at 14 1/2 stone my loss is slowing considerably but never mind I'm still better off than before! And one of the nicest (but unfortunately married) women from badminton says I'm looking good, so that's another benefit to getting control, hearing compliments is really ego boosting!

Ian in Cheltenham

Many thanks mish1953 and Gappy for your encouragement. I'm anxious my efforts don't fizzle out! And no, I'm not expecting to lose 12 lbs next week....unfortunately. I'm aiming eventually to get somewhere near the 15st mark - I can't remember when I last saw that on my scales!

Congraulations on shifting that weight Hamish, hopefully we will both get lighter and healthier over the following months!

sharonsw

Hi Ian
I think that you shouldn't really reflect on the past and what you could have done. You know what you're dealing with now so the aim is to remain positive and move forward.

That said I've done the whole stupid cow thing as I had my warnings with gestational diabetes so should have taken more notice and done something. But I didn't really so here I am with my diagnosis. Mine is post meal stats though I have no way of monitoring at the moment (must buy more test strips). My surgery go straight for metformin and it's making me feel ill.

So, Ian, onwards and upwards. Your loved ones will still love you I'm sure. It's not your fault you have diabetes. There's lots of things you really have little control over. And yes, your levels can be that good as when you're testing it's based on what your body is doing for that meal or at that time. Have you had an HBA1C done? That's the one that tells you the overall control (or not hehe).

I need to lose about a stone and a half. Trouble at the moment is when I feel sick I just pick at the wrong things.

Good luck

Ian in Cheltenham

I thought I'd use my first thread to update where I am after my diagnosis of having diabetes last October. I've managed to lose 16 kgs by cutting down on carbohydrate and have upped my exercise to swimming for 30 - 35 minutes, 4 or 5 times a week. This has had a good effect on my Hba1C which has dropped from 8% to 5.8%. Much of this was due to the advice and encouragement I obtained from reading this forum. I want to continue my weightloss - currently it's plateaued out :cry: (a little too much cheese has crept (or galloped) in. So, the struggle continues!
The weightloss has also helped my over all health - most of my aches and pains have gone and I no longer have to dragged my sorry *rse up stairs by the handrail. Amazing!
Ian

lyn hathawy

hi ian just read your threads as im a newbie myself been diagnosed 4 weeks ago. would just like to say well done on the weightloss and you seem to be handling your situation a whole lot better .good luck and keep up the hard work its paying off in your blood results.well done again

Pneu

Ian in Cheltenham said:
I thought I'd use my first thread to update where I am after my diagnosis of having diabetes last October. I've managed to lose 16 kgs by cutting down on carbohydrate and have upped my exercise to swimming for 30 - 35 minutes, 4 or 5 times a week. This has had a good effect on my Hba1C which has dropped from 8% to 5.8%. Much of this was due to the advice and encouragement I obtained from reading this forum. I want to continue my weightloss - currently it's plateaued out :cry: (a little too much cheese has crept (or galloped) in. So, the struggle continues!
The weightloss has also helped my over all health - most of my aches and pains have gone and I no longer have to dragged my sorry *rse up stairs by the handrail. Amazing!
Ian

Congratulations Ian good to read another success story.. good luck going forward!

Momblegoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Ian

Thanks for sharing your progress, your results are very encouraging! :)

You are an inspiration.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Congratulations Ian, has your sleep apnoea improved at all, I only ask as I had sleep apnoea and as I lost the weight so the sleep apnoea improved to a point where I was discharged from the sleep clinic and no longer have a problem :thumbup:

Keep up the good work :D

Ian in Cheltenham

Thank you for your help and support.

I'm not sure the weightloss has had much impact on my sleep apnea. I fell asleep the other night without my mask and woke up gasping for air and pulse racing!

This week I'm struggling with hunger big time - the battle continues!

Ian