Food in moderation?

Madilew

Hi all
I've been diagnosed about a month now and think I'm doing ok. My level was 49 the day I was told by the Dr, and 3 weeks later it was down to 45. Very pleased, but I had cut out bread (but not entirely and if I had, it was wholemeal), cakes, crisps etc and lost a bit of weight to boot. My question is, I really miss some of the foods I used to eat, like a chicken kebab, which we know is cooked on the hot plate, and fish and chips. My diabetic nurse told me to watch my carbs, which I am doing, but also to have a treat every now and then.
Has anyone suffered badly from having their little treats, like fish and chips or a kebab? Just want to know I'm not being really bad if I do have a small portion every now and then (I only used to have it once or twice in as many months, so not regular).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I really miss some of the foods I used to eat, like a chicken kebab
Chicken kebab has no carbs, why shouldn't you eat it regularly?
Just want to know I'm not being really bad if I do have a small portion every now and then
Many of our member use a glucose meter to test before meals and two hours later to see how their diabetes reacts to a particular meal. It's a very useful tool!

Reactions: SaskiaKC
M

Member496333

I think it’s a very personal thing. Some people find abstinence easy and moderation impossible, while others find moderation easy and abstinence impossible. Also everyone has different goals and standards that they’re willing to accept. Plus we all come from a different starting point. Keep in mind that the mechanism that made you diabetic in the first place is still there, so if you’re going to flirt with treats then be sure to arm yourself with a glucometer and learn how to use and interpret it.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kebabs in the UK are typically part of a post drinking diet and include a pita to hold the "meat" and chilli sauce in.

@Madilew congratulations on your improvements. In 3 weeks it is fantastic, especially as HbA1C is an average oft he last 3 months weighted towards more recent data.

Regarding kebabs and fish and chips, how about having them but reducing the carb content. For example, have a kebab but don't eat the pita/wrap or have fish but remove the batter (I prefer it that way as it steams the fish beautifully) and a few chips on the side rather than a full portion.

A meter should help you work out what your body can tolerate and give you some guidance as to what moderation means to you.
As someone with Type 1 diabetes, I sometimes make mistakes with my insulin dosage which can mean my levels are higher than they should be. I don't stress about what the affect this momentary slip is going to have on my life expectancy. Instead I return to something familiar and get back on track.

Reactions: Madilew

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah thanks! I had no idea, you correctly assumed a cultural difference between our countries here. :)
Not necessarily, we have both types of kebab.
The good ones and the not so good....
kebab 2.jpg
kebab 1.jpg

Attachments

• kebab 1.jpg
    kebab 1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 84
  • kebab 1.jpg
    kebab 1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: Jayne1983

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.

Many of our member use a glucose meter to test before meals and two hours later to see how their diabetes reacts to a particular meal. It's a very useful tool!
I eat a chicken kabab every Saturday with lettuce and red onion and garlic sauce the pitta goes to the kids or bin

M

Member496333

Funny thing is I always thought the fatty meat was the unhealthy part of a ten-pint kebab. Little did I know back then that it was the pita bread that was giving me a helping hand to becoming diabetic twenty years later. And the ten pints…

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My local chippy does both shish and donner kebabs, and will happily do just meat in a tray with sauce (and salad) Mmmm you're giving me ideas for a payday treat

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My local chippy does both shish and donner kebabs, and will happily do just meat in a tray with sauce (and salad) Mmmm you're giving me ideas for a payday treat
My local kebab shop does too. In fact pitta separate or no pitta and tray of meal are all options listed on the menu as well as salad customisation. This and an Indian are my main two options for takeout. (And safe as measured by the meter)

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
I've been diagnosed about a month now and think I'm doing ok. My level was 49 the day I was told by the Dr,

Enough of the kebab talk, you're all making me hungry.
Mightn't seem like it now but getting picked up on the bottom rung of the diagnostic ladder is akin to winning the lottery in my book.

finzi1966

Just as a data point (but everybody is different so you must test!) I am absolutely fine with doner kebab, salad and garlic mayo. I throw away the pita bread, obviously. But in addition to individual variations between people, kebab shops vary as well, and some doner has carby filling added. So I always use the same shop, which I’ve tested with my Libre and I know is fine.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had some chicken kebab (only the meat) with my wife a week ago and BS were all right so its back on my list of things to eat as a treat now and again :)

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Have you seen the tiktok where a drunk guy is filmed eating his kebab AND the polystyrene box it is in, a bite at a time.... Luckily I don't think polystyrene affects bg!