What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Thanks for the info @Granny_grump_

You have reminded me, I also have some CBD cream. I use it more on my hands because of the pain from arthritis.

In the 4's is no good for me either. I am often in the 6's, but going into 5's which I do sometimes. I am better above 5.5 I think.

You have done a great day so far.
Thank you on BG readings lots on here in the past like 2015 when I used to be on here we’re aiming for has low has possible it was like who could get BG lowest. But we are all individuals and has such our bodies react differently so I do what is right for me and so it seems do you and that’s how it should be. I am somewhat concerned about newbies on here seeing these lower readings and thinking that’s what they should be instead of working out what BG level is right for them, but experienced diabetics and moderators will hopefully guide them through these early stages hope so anyway.
I’ve found newly diagnosed type2 diabetics aren’t given enough information on diet and exercise to help them in the early days from doctors and nurses our diabetic doctor is useless being paid for lying across his desk resting on his arm doesn’t engage with patients and he’s the size of an ox and guess who I’m seeing for consultation on Monday yes this same doctor about swellings in both feet and ankles been like this over 3 to 4 months but can’t get an appointment with any doctors it’s telephone consultation and a photograph. Useless I wouldn’t have got this but both podiatry and physio said I needed to see a doctor has the swelling issue isn’t down to either soft tissue damage in my knees or from my back.
So here I go on Monday I won’t hold my breath him diagnosing what’s causing it but will wait and see.K

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you on BG readings lots on here in the past like 2015 when I used to be on here we’re aiming for has low has possible it was like who could get BG lowest. But we are all individuals and has such our bodies react differently so I do what is right for me and so it seems do you and that’s how it should be. I am somewhat concerned about newbies on here seeing these lower readings and thinking that’s what they should be instead of working out what BG level is right for them, but experienced diabetics and moderators will hopefully guide them through these early stages hope so anyway.
I’ve found newly diagnosed type2 diabetics aren’t given enough information on diet and exercise to help them in the early days from doctors and nurses our diabetic doctor is useless being paid for lying across his desk resting on his arm doesn’t engage with patients and he’s the size of an ox and guess who I’m seeing for consultation on Monday yes this same doctor about swellings in both feet and ankles been like this over 3 to 4 months but can’t get an appointment with any doctors it’s telephone consultation and a photograph. Useless I wouldn’t have got this but both podiatry and physio said I needed to see a doctor has the swelling issue isn’t down to either soft tissue damage in my knees or from my back.
So here I go on Monday I won’t hold my breath him diagnosing what’s causing it but will wait and see.K
Thoughts and prayers with you for Monday. Dr Ox may amaze you. By coincidence Ox cheek is one of the few red meats I still find acceptable and we have some in a freezer. Thanks for the reminder that hope springs eternal. Even LC food in winter may provide unexpected pleasure. LC gravy/casserole spoils that but like Dr Ox you never know.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thoughts and prayers with you for Monday. Dr Ox may amaze you. By coincidence Ox cheek is one of the few red meats I still enjoy and we have some in a freezer. Thanks for the reminder that hope springs eternal. Even LC hot food in winter may provide unexpected pleasure.
I will try and remember the Ox Cheeks never ever had them will be interesting.K
We live on casseroles and homemade soups during winter great foods liver and bacon casserole beef, chicken, sausage casseroles roasted vegetables I love prefer them to regular boiled veg. I’m having shepherds pie today for evening meal but replacing potatoes with cauliflower rice it’s very good put a few pieces of butter in cauliflower or cheese sprinkled on top in individual dish for me hubby and grandson will have larger portions with potatoes we all have two to three veg with our meals. But cauliflower is one veg anyway probably green beans or broccoli it doesn’t matter what veg has long has you enjoy your meal. But to newbies on here vegetables grown above ground are better for diabetic’s than vegetables grown underground, take care everyone have a good weekend.K

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It will surprise no one that we buy ours at Waitrose. Few outlets sell them and theirs have always been cheaper plus they often reduce them. Long slow cooking is required. The cheeks, not the doctor:angelic:

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It will surprise no one that we buy ours at Waitrose. Few outlets sell them and theirs have always been cheaper plus they often reduce them. Long slow cooking is required. The cheeks, not the doctor:angelic:
Try the doctor it will give a whole new experience for you.HaHaHa.K

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try the doctor it will give a whole new experience for you.HaHaHa.K
Maybe not. The good thing about LC being taste unfriendly is it stops me eating much so weight stays good. Over 6.5 years I have had a whole raft of new experiences taste wise that I wish I had never endured. Better than diabetic complications but horrible memories.

Last edited:

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We live on casseroles and homemade soups during winter great foods liver and bacon casserole beef, chicken, sausage casseroles roasted vegetables I love prefer them to regular boiled veg. I’m having shepherds pie today for evening meal but replacing potatoes with cauliflower rice it’s very good put a few pieces of butter in cauliflower or cheese sprinkled on top in individual dish for me hubby and grandson will have larger portions with potatoes we all have two to three veg with our meals. But cauliflower is one veg anyway probably green beans or broccoli it doesn’t matter what veg has long has you enjoy your meal. But to newbies on here vegetables grown above ground are better for diabetic’s than vegetables grown underground, take care everyone have a good weekend.K
Years ago on here people would put all kinds of helpful information to try and help newbies with foods that keep your BG down the tip on vegetables above and below ground was one of them. Those grown above ground broccoli cauliflower Brussels etc. don’t spike your BG like carrots turnips potatoes etc. and another tip Some supermarkets and Iceland sell bags of 4 individual packets of cauliflower rice or broccoli rice for around a £1 a bag I used to do my own with a ricer but why when it’s cheap enough at £1. And no BG spike from not using potatoes has a topping..K

Reactions: jjraak

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Maybe not. The good thing about LC being taste unfriendly is it stops me eating much so weight stays good. Over 6.5 years I have had a whole raft of new experiences taste wise that I wish I had never endured. Better than diabetic complications but horrible memories.
Can’t begin to imagine elaborate.K

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply @Granny_grump_
Good luck for Monday x

lindisfel

Expert
The duchess was met by a dozen Swaldales coming up the front steps into the front garden this am. They ran off but later came back again. These farmers move them all over to get a bit of grass. Oh what bucolic bliss, they later made a further attempt.
This time they went down the road and went in the dentist garden and were discretly put in an agencent field for the farmer to collect and stow safely.
They get taken for slaughter this week so I dont grudge some fresh grass and some liberation.
They must have known we didnt eat mutton or lamb.
D.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunelm

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No fbg today as at 2am I woke up with a truly awful tummy upset which went on for the rest of the night. Slept all day and am only now feeling a lot better.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The duchess was met by a dozen Swaldales coming up the front steps into the front garden this am. The ran off but later came back again. These farmers move them all over to get a bit of grass. Oh what bucolic bliss, they later made a further attempt.
This time they went down the road and went in the dentist garden and were discretly put in an agencent field for the farmer to collect and stow safely.
The get taken for slaughter this week so dont grudge some fresh grass and liberation.
D.
g02106.gif
g02106.gif
g02106.gif

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No fbg today as at 2am I woke up with a truly awful tummy upset which went on for the rest of the night. Slept all day and am only now feeling a lot better.
So sorry to read that and hope things have improved. Obvious question is have you done an LFT?

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to read that and hope things have improved. Obvious question is have you done an LFT?
Did an LFT this evening and it was negative. It looks like the bug was a 24 hour bug, thank goodness, as I am loads better this evening. Blood sugars are crazily high but hopefully they will settle down tomorrow.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Gave winner as so agree.

Too little info at DX.
Agree about personal BG range
4 has me feeling very rough.

Everyone has I believe a natural balance.
I think we all, if sensible have a "sweet spot" for most things.

Recent hospital stay, bay of 4

3 of us T2D.
Others no idea about their health, sadly.

Nurses rather amused I knew what my scores re BG & temp & weight usually / actually are.

Any variance above 36.5 had my ears prick up, covid, infection etc.

And the casual "under 10 BG is good," carried no weight here..no siree.

Got it down once I got to grips with menu choices. Mind you plethora of meds didn't help.

Explaining to the 2 other why they tested higher then expected, because of food choice, was a surprising lesson for them, and they began taking s little more notice and I tried to educate a little about the effects of carbs/sugars etc

I hope a seed was planted

Much work to be done on far too many, sadly.

And as for the forum, I wonder if aiming for unsuitable scores is often counter productive to a happier/Healthier life, imho.

Anyway, a big hug for the need for appointment.
Hope all goes well and Dr ox surprises you.

Good luck .

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you imply managing one's wellbeing - wellness is a red herring IMHO - is a judgement call. Once told one has T2 none of the options are good. Complications are to be avoided full stop - which is where they'll end. Insulin is, by all accounts on here, a life saving miracle for many but also comes fraught with very unwelcome side effects and calculations I have no wish to make. LC in some way is the least bad route but it must come with some downsides. Don't the scientists operate with a paradigm that says every action has an equal and opposite reaction or was Newton's 3rd law part of Plan B?

Agree.

I think none of us know the full price we'll pay until the end of the game is much closer.

This far out, we can only imagine the future endings, and try to guide ourselves as best we can to the safest of endings

I just see it all as a seesaw now.
As one measure/criteria goes up
Another invariably goes down

At the moment for me, a bit more need to secure a better repair & an unwillingness to Don a hairshirt, has made moderating the diet necessary, for now at least.

And I think that the need for adjustment, is a constant.

We do it at first until we find a lifestyle / diet we can live with
With the proviso things can change.

And change they will, whether by age, stress, other illnesses, they'll all impact how we live.

So yeah ..no one size fits all.
We simply try to avoid the worst, as best we can

But good to remember, all advice, is simply just that ..advice

We are free to take it or leave it.
Hopefully having given it a decent examination, of course.

As you succinctly say,
It's a judgement call.

Let's hope we all make the best ones we can.

Last edited: