Insulin pen issue

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
When giving my levemir dose just now , I found when pressing the pen button down to inject there was quite a bit of resistance. I had to push the button very forcefully . As I was halfway through the injection I couldn’t stop and start again. I primed before the injection as always and the pen made the familiar ‘click’ sound at the end of giving the dose and the dose memory ( novopen echo) indicated 10 units given. Maybe I was in some scar tissue or my finger was at a funny angle when injecting but I’m worried it won’t absorb properly. :(

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
When giving my levemir dose just now , I found when pressing the pen button down to inject there was quite a bit of resistance. I had to push the button very forcefully . As I was halfway through the injection I couldn’t stop and start again. I primed before the injection as always and the pen made the familiar ‘click’ sound at the end of giving the dose and the dose memory ( novopen echo) indicated 10 units given. Maybe I was in some scar tissue or my finger was at a funny angle when injecting but I’m worried it won’t absorb properly. :(

Hi,

Was a new needle fitted? & does it seem a fraction longer than "the usual?"

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Was a new needle fitted? & does it seem a fraction longer than "the usual?"
It was a new needle. I always use a fresh one each injection. It’s a 4mm. Looked normal length and a bit of insulin was on the tip of the needle as often is when I pulled the pen out after the injection so I don’t believe it was clogged.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a new needle. I always use a fresh one each injection. It’s a 4mm. Looked normal length and a bit of insulin was on the tip of the needle as often is when I pulled the pen out after the injection so I don’t believe it was clogged.

Not so much clogged.. But, I have noticed some occasional resistance using some cheaper needles..? 4mm.

What happens is the plastic screw doesn't grip the needle with is sharp at both ends & the end that's meant to penitrate the membrane on the cartridge, doesn't quite.. The needle looks a little longer as its forced in the other direction from the resistance in the rubber?

Like below.. Which can feel like resistance in the bung that pushes the insulin from the ram assembly on the dialled dosage?

image.jpeg

Reactions: Sharrryn

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
O
Not so much clogged.. But, I have noticed some occasional resistance using some cheaper needles..? 4mm.

What happens is the plastic screw doesn't grip the needle with is sharp at both ends & the end that's meant to penitrate the membrane on the cartridge, doesn't quite.. The needle looks a little longer as its forced in the other direction from the resistance in the rubber?

Like below.. Which can feel like resistance in the bung that pushes the insulin from the ram assembly on the dialled dosage?

View attachment 53182
Oh wow. That’s really interesting information. Thank you. Actually this current box of needles are a different brand from my usual as they had none in stock and some have been a bit ‘blunt’ so I think they are a bit inferior and cheaper.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
O

Oh wow. That’s really interesting information. Thank you. Actually this current box of needles are a different brand from my usual as they had none in stock and some have been a bit ‘blunt’ so I think they are a bit inferior and cheaper.

Possibly a little blunt at both ends, causing a little "push of war" twix the skin tissue back onto the cartridge membrane?
Not what I call aiding a smooth action with injecting..

That's my take on what I've occasionally observed..

Reactions: Sharrryn