Low blood sugars

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I get low blood sugars at least once or twice a week. Is that going to affect my diabetes long term like high blood sugars would? My hba1c is 53 so it is good. I don't mind getting low blood sugars but will it impact me long term?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @ariaxo Unfortunately no one can tell you categorically yes/no, the focus is ensuring you maintain a good 'time in range and of course a relatively stable HbA1c, some t1s can remain unscathed in regards to future complications with a good HbA1c and others can suffer long term effects despite years of good control, it's the luck of the draw, I believe it's vital to just focus on the present and do what you can do each day to remain healthy, that's all we can do.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting question, I have always ASSUMED that as long as I don’t go into a coma and die, low sugars are harmless, never considered they could be harmful long term, I can go low three times a day or no times a week. Thankyou for the question, following with interest.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think most T1s get hypos, though the frequency and depth will vary from person to person. Too many hypos can lead to loss of hypo awareness (though that can often be regained by maintaining higher sugars for a while). But the real question, as @Antje77 said, is how low do you go? Non diabetics can regularly go down to the mid 3s, but it's not an issue because they don't go lower.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Interesting question, I have always ASSUMED that as long as I don’t go into a coma and die, low sugars are harmless, never considered they could be harmful long term, I can go low three times a day or no times a week. Thankyou for the question, following with interest.
I think most T1s get hypos, though the frequency and depth will vary from person to person. Too many hypos can lead to loss of hypo awareness (though that can often be regained by maintaining higher sugars for a while). But the real question, as @Antje77 said, is how low do you go? Non diabetics can regularly go down to the mid 3s, but it's not an issue because they don't go lower.
Hi so sorry for the late response. It can get as low as 2.5 sometimes.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi so sorry for the late response. It can get as low as 2.5 sometimes.
Yes, at 2.5 I would be having trouble concentrating and getting to my carb stash. I would regard that as dangerously low, not because of long term health aspects, but because of the risk of a short term collapse or catastrophic action (eg walk out into the middle of the road without looking). (I've had seizures during hypos which are low enough to make me pass out, and when pregnant I had a hypo where I was found wandering the street in bare feet, incoherent.)

Helendogs

Hi
I wish my Hba1c was that low as mine is 73 at present & for me that's considered good. However I also go go 2.2 & lower (meter doesn't go any lower - it just says urgent low!) several times a week & occasionally a few times a day (had poor ambulance people out twice within an hr once!). I have a meter as have lost all hypo awareness, though afterwards I can remember getting very cross with people!

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t take insulin, lowest I’ve had is 2.4 & felt absolutely fine

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T2 and I have hypos. Even on days where I haven't needed to take insulin.

Good afternoon Zoe,
I am completely baffled by your statement "even on days when I didn't need to take Insulin" - Insulin gives you the energy to get through your day.

Can you please clarify.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi
I am T2 and I have hypos. Even on days where I haven't needed to take insulin.
What meds are you on? Other than insulin?
Also what was your hba1c, to give you the 2 diagnosis?

The reason I ask is, it is not usual to get hypos with T2, unless you take too much insulin or on meds!

Best wishes

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I can confirm as well as my physical health suffering, my mental health had and was considerably effected by continuous hypoglycaemic episodes. Before diagnosis, I refer to this time as my hypo hell! And I have given many examples of the effects of these episodes.
Genuine wow.
Things us T2s never even consider.

Similar experiences, and worse when you are not aware of what is going on!
I have been found in a shop, on a deserted field, and outside my son's house after going for my nightly walk.
Thought at times to be asleep, but rather a nap or an episode and sweating and shaking when woken! Readings very low! That is why control of you blood glucose levels are important, low, as well as continuous highs!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good afternoon Zoe,
I am completely baffled by your statement "even on days when I didn't need to take Insulin" - Insulin gives you the energy to get through your day.

Can you please clarify.

Insulin is necessary to give you your energy, due to glucose derived from food.
Too much of either is not good!
If the poster finds that because they are eating a low carb diet enough not to take insulin. If they up the amount of carbs, they would then need to take insulin.
Using experience of testing and having good control, can help you learn so much!

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An excellent HbA1c could be an average of very high and very low readings. A consultant once told me too many hypos can lead to neurological problems —and can even be fatal. CGMs with alarms like Libre2 are proving to be wonderful solution to these problems.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

What meds are you on? Other than insulin?
Also what was your hba1c, to give you the 2 diagnosis?

The reason I ask is, it is not usual to get hypos with T2, unless you take too much insulin or on meds!

Best wishes

Good morning Lamont D

WOW - who told you that "it is not usual to get hypos with T2"?

I was Type 2 for at least 20 years and Hypos were a regular problem until I started on Insulin about 10 years ago.

On Insulin I have learnt to vary my Insulin depending upon my meter readings/my exercise/my food intake/my head/my stomach. Hungry going to bed will give me a Hypo about 3 am. During the day I control "Hypo warnings" with fruit or cheese. Hypos day or night are a "delicate balance" - and I am a Type 2 of 30 years experience.

Its a delicate balance but I normally keep my morning FBS Meter reading between 5 and 6.

Sadly, when I have a cold it jumps up to over 8 - and I can do nothing about it.

Please update your information on Type 2 and Hypos.

Have a nice day.

Reactions: ZoëSilva

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was Type 2 for at least 20 years and Hypos were a regular problem until I started on Insulin about 10 years ago.
Were you on any medication for your diabetes before starting insulin?

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Were you on any medication for your diabetes before starting insulin?

Good afternoon Antje,

Yes I was taking about 15 tablets per day including Gliclazide and Statins. The Doctor started me on Insulin because he thought that I would have better control - he was right. My fasting BS could rise as high as 24 or as low 2.5.

Now I take 4 Metformin SR along with my Insulin - I vary my Insulin as needed but not my Metformin.

I stopped the Statins because they were destroying my memory to the extent that I could not hold a proper conversation because I could not remember the next word in the sentence.

I vary my insulin depending upon my fasting BS. My readings are usually between 5 and 6 this morning it was 5.4
I do not test the rest of the day - only before breakfast.

My last three HbA1c were: May 50; 7 October 46; 27 October 47. My Doctor phoned me up to congratulate me.

Are you surprises?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning Lamont D

WOW - who told you that "it is not usual to get hypos with T2"?

On Insulin I have learnt to vary my Insulin depending upon my meter readings/my exercise/my food intake/my head/my stomach. Hungry going to bed will give me a Hypo about 3 am. During the day I control "Hypo warnings" with fruit or cheese. Hypos day or night are a "delicate balance" - and I am a Type 2 of 30 years experience.

Its a delicate balance but I normally keep my morning FBS Meter reading between 5 and 6.

Sadly, when I have a cold it jumps up to over 8 - and I can do nothing about it.

Please update your information on Type 2 and Hypos.

Have a nice day.

I think you need to define what you consider a "hypo". What levels were you seeing. And as @Antje77 says what other medication were you on when experiencing them.

It is indeed extremely unusual for a T2 to experience an unmedicated hypo.