Struggling for meal ideas

Relaxman

I am 67 and type 2, my problem is I am not overweight at 9 stone + I need to maintain this and preferably increase it. Here in is my problem I am struggling for ideas as carbs turn to sugars and don’t help my diabetes. If anyone knows of a meal plan or book that would help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ged

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi, I made up my own meal plan. I base every meal around one or more protein sources. In my case this is a choice of fish, cheese, eggs, Quorn, tofu, nuts and seeds. I also count pulses like lentils and beans as protein sources even though they are also sources of carbohydrate. I then add in vege, mostly above ground, and sources of healthy fats like full-fat plain yoghurt, olive oil, butter and avocado. I eat a lot of protein to keep up active muscle tissue as sarcopenia, loss of muscle, is an increasing problem in older people. Protein and fats both provide energy and technically carbohydrates are not required at all. I sure others will be along shortly with links to recipes e.g. the diet doctor website.
For example today I had a slice of low carb toast topped with trout pate for breakfast, celeriac and leek soup with cheese for lunch and I'm making aromatic Quorn mince for tea which I shall have with plain yogurt. And while I'm waiting for it to cook I'll probably have way too many cashews!

Last edited:
Reactions: shedges

Relaxman

Hi, I made up my own meal plan. I base every meal around one or more protein sources. In my case this is a choice of fish, cheese, Quorn, tofu, nuts and seeds. I also count pulses like lentils and beans as protein sources even though they are also sources of carbohydrate. I then add in vege, mostly above ground, and sources of healthy fats like full-fat plain yoghurt, olive oil, butter and avocado. I eat a lot of protein to keep up active muscle tissue as sarcopenia, loss of muscle, is an increasing problem in older people. Protein and fats both provide energy and technically carbohydrates are not required at all. I sure others will be along shortly with links to recipes e.g. the diet doctor website.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I am/was a normal weight Type 2 diabetic (now in remission).
The secret to Low Carb eating is that even for those who want to lose some weight, they still need to increase the amount of protein and fat they eat so as to replace some or in my case add in more calories than are lost though reducing carbohydrates.
In my case those additional calories come from fatty cuts of meat, fatty fish, eggs (sometimes called the 'perfect food'), cheese and nuts.
I have always liked cheese and hated missing it when told to eat low fat. Now, having realised my mistake I eat about 500gms of it per week, not all at one sitting - though I probably could if I allowed myself to over-eat it to that extent.

So find something low carb but high(ish) calorie that you really like and treat yourself to it regularly.
It could be fatty fish, or fatty meat like pork belly, or cheese, or even olives or avocado. Olives contain around 6gms of carbs per 100gms and avocado only 1.8gms per 100gms, both have lots of healthy oils (and so plenty of calories).

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pork belly, roasted and served with green vegs with some of the fat & juices from the pan poured over them, A low carb version of butter chicken with cauliflower rice and a green salad with an oil based dressing.
Stir some double cream into full fat greek yogurt with a few raspberries or make a low carb 'crumble' using ground almonds instead of flour and a low carb fruit mix (I like rhubarb or rhubarb mixed with raspberries), served with real egg custard made with half cream & half milk

Relaxman

I am/was a normal weight Type 2 diabetic (now in remission).
The secret to Low Carb eating is that even for those who want to lose some weight, they still need to increase the amount of protein and fat they eat so as to replace some or in my case add in more calories than are lost though reducing carbohydrates.
In my case those additional calories come from fatty cuts of meat, fatty fish, eggs (sometimes called the 'perfect food'), cheese and nuts.
I have always liked cheese and hated missing it when told to eat low fat. Now, having realised my mistake I eat about 500gms of it per week, not all at one sitting - though I probably could if I allowed myself to over-eat it to that extent.

So find something low carb but high(ish) calorie that you really like and treat yourself to it regularly.
It could be fatty fish, or fatty meat like pork belly, or cheese, or even olives or avocado. Olives contain around 6gms of carbs per 100gms and avocado only 1.8gms per 100gms, both have lots of healthy oils (and so plenty of calories).

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I too eat to my own personal balanced diet, that works for me!

However, I would recommend dietdoctor.com.

Reactions: BravoKilo

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi we post lots of meal ideas on the what did you eat today for those eating low carb
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2421#post-2484350
You’d be welcome to post your own food we love people joining in or just take a look at what we eat to get ideas.
Important thing if you want to maintain is to eat enough especially protein and good quality fats while keeping your carbs at the level that works for your blood glucose levels.
Most important is to really choose foods that keep you healthy but you also enjoy as then it’s easier to maintain your health.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Relaxman

Hi we post lots of meal ideas on the what did you eat today for those eating low carb
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2421#post-2484350
You’d be welcome to post your own food we love people joining in or just take a look at what we eat to get ideas.
Important thing if you want to maintain is to eat enough especially protein and good quality fats while keeping your carbs at the level that works for your blood glucose levels.
Most important is to really choose foods that keep you healthy but you also enjoy as then it’s easier to maintain your health.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPY, Ged

BravoKilo

I do my own semi-chaotic meal plans (!) , but use recipe books & the Web.

There are various low carb cook books: a lot of forum members like the Caldesi cook books - see Caldesi.com or search the forums here for “Caldesi”. I’ve just bought a couple.
For “standard” cook books, Jamie Oliver’s Take 5 is one of the few to include nutritional info, so some of these are low carb. Otherwise I just adapt recipes from (high carb ) standard books.

The Freshwell site https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/ or Freshwell app (for mobiles) has a few recipes, some info and a meal planner that might help.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/ recommended above by @Lamont D is very comprehensive.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Way before diabetes was diagnosed I found Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution useful. I was already eating low carb but all the HCPs I spoke to were hellbent on me eating far more carbs and feeling ill all the time when doing so.
I got several editions, the one from 2003 was probably the most useful for menus and lists of foods to buy.

Relaxman

Thanks again for your reply the other day, could I just ask, what do you mix or use in conjunction
With “Tofu & Quorn” as I have never tried these, and obviously you having mentioned them they must be of some benefit.
Some pointers would be great, THANKS