Covid + Type 1 + Pregnant = Chaos

El_em

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I tested positive for Covid yesterday after getting the sore throat and congestion symptoms that seem to be common with Omicron. Have since found out my daughters entire class have come down with it, and so we have our main culprit for where it came from!

As type 1 this has obviously done a number on my blood glucose levels, I was fighting highs every hour during the night and am getting some unexpected highs today - randomly shot up to 11mmol earlier. Hard enough normally but I’m also 27 weeks pregnant and trying realllly hard to keep my sugars in range - so I’m finding the chaos both stressful and disheartening. Has anyone got any wise words of encouragement? I will speak to my diabetes nurse also.

thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

With covid & kids? None I'm afraid.. ("Wise words" wise.)
To date. Dodged the bullet on both.

Hopefully, you have family support to help soften the chaos blow too?

However. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery..

Reactions: EllieM

Wooly123

I have no wise words unfortunately. I’m currently 14 weeks pregnant and my sugar levels are constantly high or low and there doesn’t seem to be an in between. My healthcare team don’t seem to know what to do. Their only advice is to increase my insulin doses which causes more lows and then in turn cause highs after treating. It’s incredibly depressing and makes pregnancy a very sad and lonely time. I think if you’ve got to 27 weeks without many highs you are lucky as I can’t seem to get through each day at the moment with an ‘in range’ reading at any point at all. I wouldn’t put too much pressure on yourself as I feel the mental stress of diabetes while pregnant is possibly doing more harm than our glucose readings x

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all

I tested positive for Covid yesterday after getting the sore throat and congestion symptoms that seem to be common with Omicron. Have since found out my daughters entire class have come down with it, and so we have our main culprit for where it came from!

As type 1 this has obviously done a number on my blood glucose levels, I was fighting highs every hour during the night and am getting some unexpected highs today - randomly shot up to 11mmol earlier. Hard enough normally but I’m also 27 weeks pregnant and trying realllly hard to keep my sugars in range - so I’m finding the chaos both stressful and disheartening. Has anyone got any wise words of encouragement? I will speak to my diabetes nurse also.

thanks
My only wise words are re not worrying too much about the excursions. Your baby has done its crucial development at weeks 1-12.
Women who aren't diabetic get infections and their blood sugars rise and are dealt with silently by their own bodies. We can just see the chaos going on and as pregnant t1s are told to be very worried about it. You don't want a very large baby that has hypos after birth so do what you can but since you are young enough to be pregnant I imagine your body will deal with the infection soon and you will notice a drop in your insulin needs and blood sugars possibly to be followed by further insulin needs as you get into your last 3 months.
Best of luck. Did it 3 times and pregnancies are never completely smooth especially with other kids to look after.

Reactions: nickyc1987