Jabberwock

Hello everybody

Hopefully somebody out there will have some experiences related to my current issues

I have been enlisted to drive a support vehicle across Europe this summer for a charity cycling event. There are a few hurdles for which I have not yet obtained reliable information and I hope there may be some assistance here

Basically I need to know what size of vehicle I am permitted to drive under my medically restricted (3 year) UK driving licence both here and in The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and Italy. Having already made 104 ( yes !) calls to DVLA before obtaining a human on the other end, the outcome of those enquiries was wholly inadequate and inconclusive. The upshot being that the onus rests upon the driver to be certain if they are permitted to drive the vehicle they are intending to but with NO MEANS to ascertain how and what those rules are or, indeed, how to find them !!.....and so I am turning to online forums for any glimmer of hope

All research has mostly drawn confusing and unsatisfactory answers. DVLA's own online pages are quite literally useless. One finds an answer only for the following page to contradict those - utterly infuriating - surely these laws and rules cannot be so difficult to clarify !?

I am intending to drive a large size campervan, bigger than standard but nowhere near the upper weight limit I've been informed is permissable however, my licence states only a Category 'B' vehicle is legal for me to drive and yet DVLA cannot tell me what exactly is covered by Category 'B' and, again, the onus is placed upon myself to be certain without them offering any guidelines whatsoever

Before I claw out my own eyes, can anybody out there please offer any assistance from experience or point me in the direction of answers, regardless of how insignificant they might seem, otherwise I and a sizeable amount of charitable donations may have to abandon all hope !

Thank you for reading

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Basically I need to know what size of vehicle I am permitted to drive under my medically restricted (3 year) UK driving licence both here and in The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and Italy.
You'd be allowed to drive whatever vehicle you're allowed to drive in the UK, as far as I'm aware.
The categories are international and used throughout Europe.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everybody

Hopefully somebody out there will have some experiences related to my current issues

I have been enlisted to drive a support vehicle across Europe this summer for a charity cycling event. There are a few hurdles for which I have not yet obtained reliable information and I hope there may be some assistance here

Basically I need to know what size of vehicle I am permitted to drive under my medically restricted (3 year) UK driving licence both here and in The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and Italy. Having already made 104 ( yes !) calls to DVLA before obtaining a human on the other end, the outcome of those enquiries was wholly inadequate and inconclusive. The upshot being that the onus rests upon the driver to be certain if they are permitted to drive the vehicle they are intending to but with NO MEANS to ascertain how and what those rules are or, indeed, how to find them !!.....and so I am turning to online forums for any glimmer of hope

All research has mostly drawn confusing and unsatisfactory answers. DVLA's own online pages are quite literally useless. One finds an answer only for the following page to contradict those - utterly infuriating - surely these laws and rules cannot be so difficult to clarify !?

I am intending to drive a large size campervan, bigger than standard but nowhere near the upper weight limit I've been informed is permissable however, my licence states only a Category 'B' vehicle is legal for me to drive and yet DVLA cannot tell me what exactly is covered by Category 'B' and, again, the onus is placed upon myself to be certain without them offering any guidelines whatsoever

Before I claw out my own eyes, can anybody out there please offer any assistance from experience or point me in the direction of answers, regardless of how insignificant they might seem, otherwise I and a sizeable amount of charitable donations may have to abandon all hope !

Thank you for reading

Hi,

As someone who's has toured Eroupe to Poland & Italy & back with all the countries in between. Either as a Happy camper in a Mazda Bongo or with a Metal band gigging.

Now, what you intend to be driving sounds like the equivalent of a long wheelbase van?
I've certainly not had any issue regarding entitlement to drive these, either. In the day job capacity & setting up the relevant paperwork with employers..
It may depend on the weight??

I'll tag in @searley , he is entitled to drive som beasts on insulin. & maybe able to clarify your position.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
you can drive what is shown on the back of your license

you won't gain or lose any entitlement when you leave the uk

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With a restricted licence you can drive anything in the B category which is up to 3500kgs. You can also tow a trailer but there are restrictions on its size according to when you got your licence and towing capacity of the vehicle.

Most family sized (2-4 beds) vans are on the 3500 limit however they may go over the limit if they have been altered in any way for example buying a older one, gutting and rebuilding it. That's why it is your responsibility.

Anything between 3500kgs and 7500kgs you will need C1. Have you considered applying to get that back (if you had it in the first place)?

Anything over 7500kgs you need at least C.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-motorhome