Type 2 and High Blood Pressure

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I thought I was immortal.

I now weigh 17 stones and have BP around 155/85.
I have dodged the GP for 10 years! But menopause has nearly killed me so here I am.

I’m awaiting blood tests results before I am given medication.
I’m thinking of say no thank you.
I’m fat and convinced it’s the source of all my issues.
So, I’m aiming for remission.

I am a life long vegetarian. I have a large family, I’m the only cook and we like carbs. I already fast because I dislike breakfast.
I will need a lot of willpower.

I think I can do it. I would like to think I can do it by the summer.

I’d welcome thoughts, tips, success stories please.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Menopause is a pain. It totally shakes things up, if you're unlucky. But you can get on top of it, even get into remission, if you can swap your diet.

May I recommend Rose Elliot books. She has produced at least 2 on low carb eating as a vegetarian. I'd tell you their titles but I've just looked and can't find mine.

The low carb forum is probably the best 'go to' for success stories.

Good luck!

Reactions: EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why are you reluctant to take the bp meds? Those are typically meds which are reduced or stopped if your blood pressure comes down, so if things improve you won't have to take them anymore. And until that time they may save you.

Wish you good luck, I hope you'll manage to find a way that suits you!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I thought I was immortal.

I now weigh 17 stones and have BP around 155/85.
I have dodged the GP for 10 years! But menopause has nearly killed me so here I am.

I’m awaiting blood tests results before I am given medication.
I’m thinking of say no thank you.
I’m fat and convinced it’s the source of all my issues.
So, I’m aiming for remission.

I am a life long vegetarian. I have a large family, I’m the only cook and we like carbs. I already fast because I dislike breakfast.
I will need a lot of willpower.

I think I can do it. I would like to think I can do it by the summer.

I’d welcome thoughts, tips, success stories please.

Since you aren't new here, you already know that low Carb reduces Blood Glucose and usually reduces weight.
Well it also reduces BP if its too high. Dr David Unwin says he had to reduce and then de-prescribe his own BP meds and also those of his patients when they went low Carb.

So I would say that your problems (including being overweight) are due to your love of carbs - so I suggest you treat the cause rather than a symptom.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think you are right to give yourself a chance to self regulate, BP drugs only mask a problem, and never root cause cure. I decided not to take drugs for BP and have had this result over the last few years:

upload_2022-2-6_11-17-47.png

(at the doctors I recall a systolic of 150 a few years ago, with a mean of circa 140 / 80 something)

The low carb Doctors I follow such as Ben Bickman and Paul Mason directly relate higher circulating insulin to higher blood pressure as well as excess fat. What I have done is multi-faceted:

Fat loss
Low carb / Keto
Walking (proven to reduce BP)
Hand Grips (CAMRY Digital Hand Dynamometer Grip. These types are proven in fighter pilots)
Real Garlic ((not powder) not so much now, just in food)
Beetroot
Sleep
100% dark chocolate (for the magnesium and pleasure)
Lo-salt (for the correct ratios of sodium to potassium)

I have been in remission since 2016:
upload_2022-2-6_11-40-48.png

It took a while for the low 120's / lower 70's. I remember having low 130's / 75's for maybe 3 years or so.

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are right to give yourself a chance to self regulate, BP drugs only mask a problem, and never root cause cure. I decided not to take drugs for BP and have had this result over the last few years:

View attachment 53239

(at the doctors I recall a systolic of 150 a few years ago, with a mean of circa 140 / 80 something)

The low carb Doctors I follow such as Ben Bickman and Paul Mason directly relate higher circulating insulin to higher blood pressure as well as excess fat. What I have done is multi-faceted:

Fat loss
Low carb / Keto
Walking (proven to reduce BP)
Hand Grips (CAMRY Digital Hand Dynamometer Grip. These types are proven in fighter pilots)
Real Garlic ((not powder) not so much now, just in food)
Beetroot
Sleep
100% dark chocolate (for the magnesium and pleasure)
Lo-salt (for the correct ratios of sodium to potassium)

I have been in remission since 2016:
View attachment 53240

It took a while for the low 120's / lower 70's. I remember having low 130's / 75's for maybe 3 years or so.

What benefit do you get from the Camry device you mention? I haven’t heard of it before and wonder if it’s something that might help me.

JohnEds

Hand grip exercises are thought to reduce blood pressure. I'd say a good thing generally and good for people that have mobility issues as you can do them sitting down. But, like everything, there are conflicting research results. Most I've read don't find a significant benefit for BP.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
What benefit do you get from the Camry device you mention? I haven’t heard of it before and wonder if it’s something that might help me.

This lowers blood pressure by vessel dilation:

https://www.biospace.com/article/re...ir bodies.-,Dr.,their blood pressure, as well

Grip strength is also found to correlate to longevity:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6778477/

I am so glad that I did not take any pills, thereby proving in my case the results to-date are life style.

In addition grip