keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hoping someone can help...

Ive ordered the 2 week free trial of the Libre 2 sensor. Im just hoping that people have used it before and have good stories on it.

Did it make it easier?
Did it come off easy after showering when you didnt want it to?
Did you find yourself catching it on things?

I've been diabetic now for 13 years and I've just started my training to become a nurse hence wanting to start using it to keep a better control and see if it makes life any easier for me.

Any stories welcome! xx

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many people have used Libre and find it helps us greatly.
There are many many threads about it on this forum (use the Search on the top right of the page).

To answer your questions
- if you understand the data and the limitations and know what to do with the data, it greatly helps diabetes management. “Easier” is a relative term. You have to put in effort to use the data but if you are willing to put in the effort, it can help your diabetes management.
- if the sensors came off in the shower, they would be a waste of money. But you need to follow the instructions when applying the sensor, especially ensuring your arm is clean, dry and not greasy (so no moisturiser).
- if you are aware the sensor is there and careful, you will not catch it. Bras are the arch nemesis of Libre sensors but with experience and correct placement, they become no problem.

I strongly encourage you to read the threads about Libre and familiarise yourself with the limitations.

Good luck with your nurse training.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see it states you are Type 1, ask your team if you can obtain it on prescription if its something you decide to continue with xx

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did it make it easier?

1. The 2 version gives you alarms to your phone so that defo makes things easier

2. It doesn't come off. But here's a tip... when you attach it for the first time make sure your skin is bone dry, this seems to help the adhesive

3. Not really or very rarely. I wear a libre band from ebay that helps keep everything secure and remind me that it's there

Good luck!

Reactions: keishamarie

holdem

I’ve had freestyle 1 and 2

I’ve possibly lost 2-3 from catching them in maybe 4 years as in not very often. I think it’s more a factor on holiday when it’s been loosened by suntan cream etc

my tips / findings

1) put a new patch on perhaps 36 hours before you start it. So keep a track on how many days your current sensor has left. I find it gives more accurate readings that way.

2) start the new sensor during a period your bloods are relatively well controlled and flat. Ie if possible not during a eating period. It struggles with highs and lows I feel and it it sort of calibrates when your sugars are moving I think it finds it troublesome.

3) test with a blood test any sort of highs that are unexpected. I used to correct a high and then crash later. It try’s to use algorithms I think to predict where you’re going to be in like 15 mins it can be wrong as is trying to predict and as such best to double check. Ditto lows. I find lows more accurate though.

4) on the whole it’s very accurate in the range you want to be which i guess is a bad point as when you’re well controlled you almost don’t need it.

5) I find it super helpful for sort of the trend. Before this I would test my bloods before going into a meeting or something and say I was 6 I would have to be thinking am I 6 coming down from a 10 and soon to be low and as such eat in fear before going into a meeting etc. The general direction gives you much more confidence of where you are.

6) I live in Herts but go to st barts for my healthcare and I used to self fund but then did a daphne (May be spelt wrong) course and there were some criteria to tick that meant you could get it on prescription, I think it’s a bit sort of postcode lottery but worth asking.

7) it’s so much more social to test than doing a blood test the only few times I find it worrysome are when I’m having a conversation and people may think I’m being rude by unlocking my phone and testing but then it’s a lot less stressful than explaining why you’re pricking your finger etc.

holdem

Also if it’s a worry it may come off and you’re self funding if the sensor comes off they replace it for free.

I am on the omnipod pump and I knock one of those off perhaps every 2 mths as they're a lot bigger. It’s really not a concern I don’t think and shouldn't worry you.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do keep in mind they only have to replace 3 for falling off and may refuse after those 3 days if it falls off again xx

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried the free trial early last year. I found it very helpful as I sleep so heavily that I sleep through a hypo and hubby has to sort me out......poor soul I can be such a ***** when in a hypo :oops: :playful:

I tried to get it on prescription but, as @holdem says, it's a post code lottery so I'm self funding. Wouldn't be without it now, we're both able to sleep without any worries.

I've only had one come off, during the night, and Abbott replaced it no problem. I've never knocked one off either. In fact I have trouble getting the thing off at the end of it's time. I put a new one on as I get out of bed and 'start' it about 6pm as the last one expires.

I'm in my 70s and been diabetic just short of 50years. The Libre has been a life changer in our house. Good luck with your studies and stay safe and well.

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots

Ive ordered the 2 week free trial of the Libre 2 sensor. Im just hoping that people have used it before and have good stories on it.

Did it make it easier?

I've been diabetic now for 13 years and I've just started my training to become a nurse hence wanting to start using it to keep a better control and see if it makes life any easier for me.

Any stories welcome! xx

Only been type 1 since November. Tried Libre 2 just after Christmas. Took nearly 3 weeks for the free trial to arrive. Just bear in mind it's not exactly the same as BGM and sometimes the reading is what's going to happen 15-30 mins down the line. I worn a sticky patch over mine as I'm active. No problems at all. Helped a lot knowing what foods do in the In-between meals period. That BGM don't tell you. Unless you use a stack of sticks. Luckily I should be getting my NHS funded one soon. Good luck! It's a great piece of kit and makes life easier.

JoeyGraf20

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The cold
I've been type one for just over a year now and jumped on the Libre 2 as soon as it was available to me. I don't find diabetes a struggle but the one thing I hated was the finger pricking!

So find this makes everything alot easier

I order patches from a company called Type Strong which help make the sensors last the full 2 weeks without catch on anything, I can remove clothes easily, dry after showers and you can get a tan colour so they don't stand out if you feel uncomfortable with it.

Give them a try when you get you trial

Joe
Screenshot_20220211-230149_Samsung Internet.jpg

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type one for just over a year now and jumped on the Libre 2 as soon as it was available to me. I don't find diabetes a struggle but the one thing I hated was the finger pricking!

So find this makes everything alot easier

I order patches from a company called Type Strong which help make the sensors last the full 2 weeks without catch on anything, I can remove clothes easily, dry after showers and you can get a tan colour so they don't stand out if you feel uncomfortable with it.

Give them a try when you get you trial

JoeView attachment 53351
Have you used these while swimming. So far I haven’t had a problem with the sensor becoming dislodged but have avoided swimming, I’m wondering if this would help?

Mike Watson

Related question - I've been using these for a while but sometimes get one that doesn't apply correctly. And get the 'your sensor is loose' (which it isn't) 'please reapply' (which is silly) message. Does anyone else have problem applying? I've checked their videos and think I'm doing the right thing. Is there a good or bad time of day?
Apart from that I love it.

Azizullah26

Did it make it easier?

Any stories welcome! xx
hi +923444541053 wattsapp plz

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't know if anyone can help, since doing a software update on my android Samsung phone the libre 2 won't work at all. Just get the screenshot attached over and over again, tried 3 sensors and re installing the app but doesn't work. So back to test strips for me for the time being, very disappointing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220216-070928.jpg
    Screenshot_20220216-070928.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 137

Jrsmith

I’ve been on the Libre 2 for just over a year now. It’s helped me a lot, I check my sugars more often but still don’t control it. There are however a few issues, sometimes it’s not as accurate as blood testing machines. So always have strips, it doesn’t come off in the shower. You can knock it off if you aren’t careful I’ve done it a few times. There’s also an issue that sometimes if your glucose drop too fast, or go up too fast that it says it’s unavailable. It can be irritating and last quite a while but it always works again

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it very helpful. No serious hypos since wearing it, and I now have it on prescription.

Not 100% reliable - of the last seven sensors, two have failed and had to be replaced. Not knocked any off yet or lost any in the shower/bath.