What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Brunch: Em came to visit late morning and eventually asked for pancakes, which I made for her but when she realised I was about to have bacon and egg, she wanted that as well, on top of the pancakes. So, a large pan of bacon and then 3 eggs (2 for me).

2nd meal: some frozen mash and peas - kind of bubble and squeak. Hasn't affected my BG at all - odd that but I guess it's just the frozen potato thing again.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out to early yoga in a cold hall. Came home ravenous.
Ate 6 97% chipolatas nd 2 chicken drumsticks, a bit of cheese and 2 seedy crackers

Come dinner time, still not hungry so apart from tastes of the celeriac mash and cheese as I was cooking for the boys only had a packet of Cheesies and 2 sqs 85% choc. Not fancying alcohol and have a bit of a throat and headache. Still testing negative after my covid contacton Monday

Reactions: maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three hard boiled eggs, two slices low carb toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Nothing for smoko.
Mild chicken curry and veggies from our next door neighbour, tub of green jelly for lunch.
Last box of JO's fish cakes mashed on toast for supper at six.

Blue cheese and pepper crackers watching tv.

RosemaryJackson

@Alexandra100. If you bake the egg shells, then crush them into powder, you can sprinkle some on your yogurt. I read about that a few years ago and my daughter did it and used it. But I didn't fancy it, but I might just try it now! I'm not at all sorry I asked! If I don't ask, I don't learn. @shelley262. I take vit D3 all year round because I read that as you get older, your body doesn't absorb it so well. Didn't know about the need to take them with fat. I do read a lot but can't always retain what I've read.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast was a spoonful of Fage yogurt.
Not felt like eating much rest of day, so I haven’t just a few cups of decaff coffee, and plenty of water. Feel a bit peckish now, but too tired to bother, so will plan a good breakfast tomorrow instead.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forget to mention yesterday that I tried clove tea. I added 4 whole cloves to a cup of boiling water and let it sit for a few minutes. Was pleasant and tasty but I struggle to understand there's anything in there that would affect my gut, it was more of a scent than a substance.
Had a second cup later.
Might try grinding the cloves but even then sieving means I won't get anything into my gut, or will I?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might try grinding the cloves but even then sieving means I won't get anything into my gut, or will I?
@MrsA2, I was shocked to find out that a cup of tea supplies about 0.5g carbs (versus a cup of brewed real coffee, which seems to be carb-free) so it appears to me that just as something reaches my gut from the tea, the same applies from those cloves. But very little?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@MrsA2, I was shocked to find out that a cup of tea supplies about 0.5g carbs (versus a cup of brewed real coffee, which seems to be carb-free) so it appears to me that just as something reaches my gut from the tea, the same applies from those cloves. But very little?

I'm shocked too but is that tea with milk in it or black tea? And how about fruit teas. Most of the fluids I drink are tea based but I almost never drink coffee. 8 cups of tea a day would equal only 4 grams though, so it's not much. Still, it all contributes to the carbs in the diet.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
2 extra units of Tresiba this morning and then my usual 60u of Humalog before breakfast which was half a slice of wholemeal bread (made by Neil for me) with Dairylea cheese. Surprisingly B G dropped.
2nd meal: 2 patties of bubble & squeak.
3rd meal: will be some unidentifiable patties that I found in the freezer. I think they are mackerel based and have some vegetables in them, but I'm not sure. Might be able to identify them later.
BG has been up and down all day - but almost all the readings were well within range.

Edited to add: the patties were meat based - still unidentified and actually inedible. They're in the compost bin and I had the remaining bubble & squeak. BG 7.2 - just outside of range.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm shocked too but is that tea with milk in it or black tea?
@Annb, sorry to say, black tea. However it's possible that different teas vary. They mostly don't declare their carb content. Some packets / sites give 0.5gc, some 0.4. Peppermint tea 0.5. My favourite Chai 1.4 ! Adding milk would bump up the carbs a lot. 2T milk = 2gc.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to post yesterday but it went something like this:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a DGF chocolate fudge cake.
Dinner Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly and cream.

Then today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a mint carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Dinner: (ILs have covid so no Jaffa cake for me this Sunday :() Low Carb Food Co pork pie with leafy salad and coleslaw followed by DGF gingerbread and cream.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
0BDA797B-EB27-4F5B-9E38-BBAFAE3F2CC3.jpeg

Brunch one each of slice of bacon, egg and Hilo lc bread toasted
Dinner another variation of lasagne - no pasta version. I made a passatta with med veg and one tin of tomatoes and used grass fed British venison mince slow cooked all day in slow cooker. Layers were bolognese then field mushrooms fried in butter followed by more bolognese then sealed top by using slices of Parma ham and topped with grated vintage cheddar served with salad and glass of red wine. Would recommend Parma ham versus pasta it’s fairly impermeable so works well and tastes yum. Pudding a few raspberries with yoghurt.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 Please, where did you buy this? (I'm assuming you did buy it, rather than shooting, skinning and mincing it yourself.)
I got from a local community farm that does a lot of grass fed stuff for locals - they don’t sell online but think there are grass fed game sellers out there- internet search?
However Waitrose does lots of grass fed game including venison - mince, meatballs, diced and steaks, pheasant and partridge breasts and sometimes mixed game. A lot of game is grass fed and UK sourced you just need to check would imagine you could get other places?think I’ve seen U.K. venison mince in M and S?
Just check label.
We love game at ours and of course much is in season at the moment.
Edit just searched online for game meat suppliers U.K. and lots out there
Fieldandflower.co.uk
Farmison.com
Wildgamemeat.co.uk
Www.wildmeat.co.uk
Etc

Last edited:

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast; low carb granola, a toasted slice of carbzone bread and butter
mocha
lunch; l/c crispbread, cream cheese, ham, protein bar
dinner; chicken rogan josh with a low carb wrap, spoonful of pilau rice, salad. raspberries and cream.
a packet of salted popcorn
90% lindt

No walk today, the rain was horizontal!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hello everyone, just a quick reminder that this is the "what did you eat today thread" and if you want to chat about other stuff there is a parallel chat thread in the general chat forum
"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat | Page 88 | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

And to keep in the spirit of things, yesterday I had
scrambled egg and bacon with a (small) slice toast for lunch
For a (birthday) dinner we went out to a local restaurant and I had
salmon bite (salmon mixed with cucumber and avo)
baked clams (shared with husband)
whole baked flounder with salad.

The main dishes all seemed carb free (we could have ordered side dishes with carbs) so was able to have some carbs for dessert to use up some insulin but in deference to the low carb nature of this thread I'll leave that out...

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feeling more like eating today, so
Brunch: egg, bacon, pork sausage, mushrooms black coffee
Dinner: braised steak, onions, purple broccoli, two baby carrots, gravy, two glasses of red wine.
Love Sunday menu. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone, just a quick reminder that this is the "what did you eat today thread" and if you want to chat about other stuff there is a parallel chat thread in the general chat forum
Thanks for the reminder, I'm afraid I'm one of the worst on this thread when it comes to derailing, and I'll try to keep it to food and some chat in the future instead of the other way around.

Had the other pork belly from the package today, fried in pieces with a large onion. Added snow peas for the last minutes, quick and tasty meal! :)