Type 1.5 Jury service

Althornton29

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I’ve been summoned for jury service a week tomorrow and just wondered if anyone else had had this experience as a T1/LADA diabetic? I wonder how easy it will be to test when needed and treat hypos or dose for highs while sitting on the jury in court?

Any advice welcomed!

Thanks

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I’ve been summoned for jury service a week tomorrow and just wondered if anyone else had had this experience as a T1/LADA diabetic? I wonder how easy it will be to test when needed and treat hypos or dose for highs while sitting on the jury in court?

Any advice welcomed!

Thanks
Hi I don’t have any experience of this but I would be phoning up the court tomorrow and asking. Good luck

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think they'd rather you test and correct than pass out whilst on jury service.
In your position, I wouldn't bother asking, I'd assume I can keep my life saving equipment with me at all times. I am sure they wouldn't tell someone else with a disability that they couldn't take their wheelchair to the court room.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

ROE100

I know this doesn't answer your question but T1 been asked to do jury service twice once down south and once in the north - both times when I have mention T1 they have said no thank you we will remove you from the list - to be honest I was disppointed both times and thought surely all T1 can't be excluded - but in the end both of the times I work was not in a great place so actually it probably was the best. But glad to hear T1 are not excluded.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
both times when I have mention T1 they have said no thank you we will remove you from the list
@lexiex29, When I was asked to do jury service I asked to be excused on the grounds of my many and various health problems. If I were LADA like you, even with no other health difficulties, I would write asap mentioning all the requirements I might have. Might you need to test, inject, eat at inconvenient moments? Lose concentration / lie down? Maybe you would have to fore-go your usual exercise, and that might change your insulin requirements (if you inject insulin). As you say, there is no knowing in advance how well you might be on the day. Vital to let them know the sort of problems you might have BEFORE you arrive. The last thing they will want is to have to re-start a trial because one of the jurors couldn't carry on.

It's all very well saying that pwds can do anything, but sometimes discretion is the better part ...

Good luck!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@lexiex29, When I was asked to do jury service I asked to be excused on the grounds of my many and various health problems. If I were LADA like you, even with no other health difficulties, I would write asap mentioning all the requirements I might have. Might you need to test, inject, eat at inconvenient moments? Lose concentration / lie down? Maybe you would have to fore-go your usual exercise, and that might change your insulin requirements (if you inject insulin). As you say, there is no knowing in advance how well you might be on the day. Vital to let them know the sort of problems you might have BEFORE you arrive. The last thing they will want is to have to re-start a trial because one of the jurors couldn't carry on.

It's all very well saying that pwds can do anything, but sometimes discretion is the better part ...

Good luck!

How fragile do you think the average T1 is...?

Reactions: lovinglife

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
both times when I have mention T1 they have said no thank you we will remove you from the list - to be honest I was disppointed both times and thought surely all T1 can't be excluded - .

is that because they didn’t want you or because they thought you were asking to be excused and simply allowed that easily? Surely this is some form of discrimination for those that would like to take up the opportunity and they should be accommodating disability which type 1 qualifies for.

I was excluded by occupation for many years but even since that no longer applied I’ve never been called. I know others that have been called several times.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I was called.. when I completed the form I declared I was diabetic

they said that's fine... if I need a break simply raise my hand and they will break for 10 mins to allow me todo what I need

luckily a few days later I received a letter saying I'd be discharged

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Similar to searley above, I was told to let a court usher know if I needed to eat and they'd have a 10 minute break. Over the years I've been on two juries one for a few days and the other, three weeks. Thankfully, I never had any problems. If you are chosen you may find the timings suit you. We'd a break mid-morning and mid-afternoon and a longer one for lunch. I'd no problems with the food they provided and the their timings were perfect. They also made a room available for me to inject.

Reactions: EllieM

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Phones are allowed in the court building but not in the actual courtroom even if turned off.
Which can up in tears for the juror if caught using one, with a contempt of court directive from the judge.

If I was T1 I would be asked to be excused before they pick the jury.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Phones are allowed in the court building but not in the actual courtroom even if turned off.

What about a libre reader? That would be allowed.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about a libre reader? That would be allowed.
As a reader doesn't take photographs or communicate with anyone outside the courtroom I would assume that is ok, however it would be wise to make its presence known to avoid any misunderstanding.