What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didnt manage to post yesterday and I can’t actually remember most of what I ate anyway. Nothing carby but did score an 8.3 on the meter after DGF Christmas pud - v Disappointing as I loved it.
Today brunch was- croque monsieur made with fried 90 second mug bread and slice of cheddar
Dinner- slow roast (7hr) leg of lamb with garlic cauliflower purée, and green beans with pine nuts. Followed by a large cheeseboard- all local cheeses, with M&S seedy crackers.
@Pipp I’ve seen frozen avocado but presumed it’d be all mushy, is it ok?
Panicked this evening as I couldn’t find any chocolate in the house and ended up spending around £40 on Montezumas. I definitely need to curb my on line spending.

Reactions: maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Steak, egg and cheese omelette, button mushrooms for breakfast.
Two cold hard boiled eggs, lemon cordial / osmolax mis for smoko.
Corned silverside, veggies, pineapple jelly for lunch.
Prawns and salad in low carb wraps for supper at six.

Pepper crackers with blue cheese, watching "Reacher" on Prime Video, highly recommended series if you have Prime.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So, a mug of tea with milk would be about 2g carbs. I have that 8 times a day usually so that's 16g carbs I wasn't allowing for.:banghead:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B : ff greek with seeds and a small pear
Walk, only an hour
L: 6 97% chipolatas
D: slow cooked beef (10 hours in slow cooker in beer) 1 small Yorkshire, carrots, broccoli, roast cauliflower and roast peppers. Berry cheesecake with cream (I used a recipe for 4 but made it into 6 ramekins, no one else noticed) Cheeses. Red wine.
Perhaps not as low carb as usual but it was shared with neighbours and much enjoyed

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t post here yesterday, although a pic of my main meal is in Carnivore Corner, so no surprise that it was meat heavy - a large, bone-in rib reverse seared. Eaten as brunch as I was hungry early in the day. Delicious.

I picked the rest of the day - combination of 0% Fage, cream (found both clotted cream and double cream in the yellow sticker section), raspberries (also yellow stickered) and Lindt 90%.

EC8AAF8C-F8DB-4482-B7E2-18DFF131D8C8.jpeg

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, a mug of tea with milk would be about 2g carbs. I have that 8 times a day usually so that's 16g carbs I wasn't allowing for.:banghead:
@Annb Maybe you are about to start a new life of real coffee with double cream (1T double cream = 0.3gc). NB instant coffee = 0.5gc per cup black, so no better than tea. 8 cups of real coffee would of course be OTT for caffeine (though tea does contain some), but decaff? 8T double cream = only 2.4gc. So, switching to real coffee + cream would save 13.6gc - more than half my daily carb ration !!! Only saying!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
clotted cream and double cream in the yellow sticker section
@Goonergal Ah the joy of these small wins. Lately I keep finding Sainsbury's Organic double cream yellow stickered, imo MUCH nicer than the basic sort. Such luxury, and at a bargain price! (Seems to keep OK long after use-by date.)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My fermenting jars arrived today so plans afoot for later in week
@shelley262 Admirable! I would like to follow your example when I am less preoccupied, so do please post full details of your proceedings. I spend a fortune on live kimchi, and rather less on live sauerkraut, but worse than the expense is the inconvenient trip to the wholefood shop to buy them.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
kind of bubble and squeak. Hasn't affected my BG at all - odd that but I guess it's just the frozen potato thing again.
@Annb how long after did you test this meal? When I don't see an expected rise, I am always suspicious that it may have come later. I read in Dr Cavan's book on T1 that a high protein meal can take 4 hours to show up. Not that bubble & squeak is in itself high protein. I have read elsewhere that high fat can also delay things.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb how long after did you test this meal? When I don't see an expected rise, I am always suspicious that it may have come later. I read in Dr Cavan's book on T1 that a high protein meal can take 4 hours to show up. Not that bubble & squeak is in itself high protein. I have read elsewhere that high fat can also delay things.

Because of the higher level of basal dose, I have been testing frequently (easy to do with a Libre sensor) so I tested at 90 minutes, 150 minutes, 240 minutes (4 hours). It was real enough but it may be because I was having a "low" day. Today, on the other hand, is shaping up to be a "high" day. BG earlier topped out at 18.8. Then I took a correction dose (60u) and now down to 13.3 (after 2 hours). No food so far, but I have had 2 cups of tea, with milk. This is the way it goes with me.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Waitrose does lots of grass fed game including venison - mince
@shelley262 Thank-you so much for this thorough and practical reply. I have seen venison steaks in Morrisons, but never venison mince. My problem just now is that my freezer has died, so buying meat online won't work. However I am intending to make a trip to Waitrose for low carb sausages in a bit. More variety does seem a good idea.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Behind again Wednesday 2 February - bed 7.1 FBG 7.6

B. TAG followed later by back bacon, 2 fried eggs and 4 santini tomatoes.
L. Coconut milk.
D. Courgetti carbonara that should have been yesterday's dinner. This time, I kept the courgetti on kitchen towel and got rid of a lot of liquid. Much improved.

Thursday bed 6.0 FBG 6.8. Boys here for dinner so I had to have a DD recipe that was adaptable for them.

B. TAG and scrambled eggs.
L I had the one remaining buffalo drumstick from the other day.
D DD butter burger with tomato, red onion, avocado, cheese and spicy mayo. Boys had theirs with a brioche bun, fries and a cob. Very successful. I'm instructed I can do that again but with a smaller bun/burger.

20220203_183633.jpg
20220202_162017.jpg

RosemaryJackson

Hello. Well, the day started out well. 6'3 bg am but it is now 10.5 because I'm having a bad day. Eaten far too many carbs and the bg is sure to go higher. Had bacon and cheese with a lc buttered roll, then went to my pensioners lunch and common sense flew out of the window. I will have egg mayo and salad for my tea so hopefully by bedtime I will have redeemed myself somewhat.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Reverse of yesterday’s eating pattern - picked this morning and ate properly this evening.

This morning/afternoon was too much 90% choc, cream and yoghurt.

Dinner was a decent fry-up. Yum. Note to brain, this actually tastes much better than what preceded it! One sausage left to eat cold tomorrow.

4AEA03DA-083D-455E-9F25-C5E69DC608A6.jpeg