All over muscle pain

Trick753

Hi everyone,

Complete newbie here.

I am recently diagnosed with type 2 and I am slowly working my up to full strength metformin. I am now taking 3 tablets, soon to be 4. this weekend after being on pill 3 for 4 days my body encountered very painful muscle pain from top to toe, I didn't even think my fingers could hurt!! Mainly my upper body but at times all the way to my toes. Just wondering if many others have had this issue? It might be a complete coincidence, who knows?

A quick mix of Ibuprofen and paracetamol seems to reduce the effects pretty quickly but if I miss a painkiller dose I know about it!!

I shall be speaking to my GP tomorrow but as far as I am aware muscle pain isn't a common side effect for a 45 yr old man, 85 Kg's

Reactions: Megnala

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Trick753 and welcome to the forum. I take Metformin and don’t think it’s know for muscle pain, however statins are, we’re you started on statins too?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am recently diagnosed with type 2 and I am slowly working my up to full strength metformin. I am now taking 3 tablets, soon to be 4. this weekend after being on pill 3 for 4 days my body encountered very painful muscle pain from top to toe
Have you by any chance been put on statins at the same time?

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin does effect muscles:

upload_2022-2-7_18-29-22.png

Trick753

Thanks everyone,

I have not been put on statins. I shall quiz my GP tomorrow and take it from there.
Thanks once again for your replies.

Reactions: Rachox

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi everyone,

Complete newbie here.

I am recently diagnosed with type 2 and I am slowly working my up to full strength metformin. I am now taking 3 tablets, soon to be 4. this weekend after being on pill 3 for 4 days my body encountered very painful muscle pain from top to toe, I didn't even think my fingers could hurt!! Mainly my upper body but at times all the way to my toes. Just wondering if many others have had this issue? It might be a complete coincidence, who knows?

A quick mix of Ibuprofen and paracetamol seems to reduce the effects pretty quickly but if I miss a painkiller dose I know about it!!

I shall be speaking to my GP tomorrow but as far as I am aware muscle pain isn't a common side effect for a 45 yr old man, 85 Kg's

I have painful tremor and muscle cramps, esp. on my knees, lower back, feet and hands. I hesitate to jump to any particular med as the cause as many conditions and meds, or injuries, or interactions, or internal disorders or one drug or two or three or one but not two at the same time, etc.-- may be *the cause*. Time is also an important variable. You can always do the "challenge-rechalenge-chalenge" test for the meds. Finding the cause is like an Agatha Christie novel and a background in medical experience. Doctors start to look like Sophists to me sometimes.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @Trick753 ,

Your suggestion about talking to your doctor is a good one. It can be easy to blame every symptom on either a condition or a medication but it is not always related.

Good luck and let us know what your doctor thinks.

Welcome.

Trick753

Hi all. Just an update.
My GP has took me off the metformin and put me on gliclazide. Last night was standard though, being woke up with muscle pain at 4 am, ibuprofen and paracetamol and 10 minutes later all pain gone. Through the day, when the pain killers wear off the pain throughout my body becomes debilitating. Again pain killers and 10 minutes later all fine! I do hope that it has been a side effect of the Met otherwise it’s another hassle I have do deal with. Time will tell.

Trick753

Update number 2.

Still no positive news about the muscle pain, it has changed now to an ache and muscle weakness, plus feeling extremely cold when the pain killers wear off, maybe nothing to do with the Met?.

My GP has informed me that he spoke to a diabetolologist and between them have decided to put me on insulin. So starting tomorrow I’m one of the gang!!

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hello and welcome @Trick753 ,

Your suggestion about talking to your doctor is a good one. It can be easy to blame every symptom on either a condition or a medication but it is not always related.

Good luck and let us know what your doctor thinks.

Welcome.

Thank you. I have appointments with my physiotherapist; lumbar or entrapped nerve some yrs. ago, is a possibility. Thank you for your reply.