No licence - No income.

ritfor

Hi folks,

If you lose your license for any diabetes related reason and this means you lose all of your income (i.e. if you’re self employed), what happens in terms of income support?

Just wondering.

Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks,

If you lose your license for any diabetes related reason and this means you lose all of your income (i.e. if you’re self employed), what happens in terms of income support?

Just wondering.

Thanks

Hi there,

Do you feel you are likely to lose your entitlement to drive?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No. I’m just wondering what happens to those that do?

Well? I was spooked a while back after treatment for "macula oedema." Still fully hypo awair. (Even whilst asleep.)

I still hold a valid licence & had driven as part of my work. As well as to & from place of.

I know many non Ds who don't drive. & still find a way into work? Some of which I gave a lift. ;)

I appreciate it's easier said than done.. Just focus on reasonable managment of your condition. You can't go far wrong with the DVLA. :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Note: this is only my thoughts (and may sound a bit blunt so I apologise about that)

I would imagine its the same as anyone else not having a license, you would be expected to find a job that did not require you to drive.
The DWP don't give out money just cos you cant drive (for whatever reason), plenty of people don't drive

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I am T2, this basically applies to T1's as well.

I lost my driving licence for a year, it did not stop me from working at the time though. I managed to get lifts into work with my work mates most of the time, I walked on quite a few occasions.

Here in Queensland you can ask for a special 6:00 am to 6:00 pm licence, but they double the suspension period which I did not think was a good deal, so opted for a full suspension.

ritfor

Interesting.

If you choose not to drive, fair enough.
If you lose your license through speeding or drinking, serves you right.
If you lose your license on health grounds, lose your income and potentially everything that income provides you, seems a bit harsh.
I get why, of course, safety first, but surely there’s a support mechanism. There ought to be.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting.

If you lose your license on health grounds, lose your income and potentially everything that income provides you, seems a bit harsh.
I get why, of course, safety first, but surely there’s a support mechanism. There ought to be.

It just doesn't work like that though as I realise you know, many people lose out for a whole variety of things that weren't their 'fault'. There is a support mechanism in theory I guess, anyone who is disabled in any way and can't work would be entitled to income support but of course that is far removed from a situation where someone 'can't work' because they can't drive. It's a terrible consequence of a health condition isn't it, but where would it end if financial support was given to someone who could find alternative work perfectly ably but didn't have to because the govt felt sorry for them. At the risk of also sounding harsh, life really isn't fair. I guess that's why there is insurance you can take out to protect against job loss but I'm not sure it covers every health condition.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do / did not get any benefits being self employed, although I have been retired now for the last few months.

I do not look or get for Federal or state government handouts for having bowel cancer let alone being T2 diabetic as a right for loosing a licence.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I am T2, this basically applies to T1's as well.

I lost my driving licence for a year, it did not stop me from working at the time though. I managed to get lifts into work with my work mates most of the time, I walked on quite a few occasions.

Here in Queensland you can ask for a special 6:00 am to 6:00 pm licence, but they double the suspension period which I did not think was a good deal, so opted for a full suspension.

I had work mate a year before his retirement lose his licence due to night seizures & getting "blue lighted."
His wife drove him in.. I assured him he would get his entitlement back.. He did. A month before his leaving doo.

Interesting.

I also am a member of a band?
When I got spooked at the prospect of possibly losing my licence. The drummer said, "you can still sing, if you do go blind.."

At the end of the day. You have nothing but your own ingenuity & the support & respect of friends or colleagues.

Reactions: EllieM

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Problem is the government wouldn't be able to afford it - especially since many can still work, diabetes is certainly not the only thing can can cause a medical DQ - epilepsy is just one example, POTS is another (a heart condition - I got checked out for it a one point, turns out I didn't have it), many with said conditions can still work - and I bet there are a lot

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot think of the well know drummers name from a few years back, it dd not stop him earning a living either.

Drummer from "Def Leppard." Lost an arm. Didn't stop him.
But we digress regarding this particular topic... Inspirational though. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting.

Someone who becomes unwell and unable to work would be supported - whether they have had an accident skiing (or any other "dangerous" sport), or a degenerative disease.

The thing about diabetes is that for many, with decent care, sight can be saved. Obviously, not all, but for many, provided the individual does their bit.

If someone became incapacitated - say, by an accident, meaning they couldn't walk, they would be bound to rebuild their life and when otherwise fit, look for work in another field.

I think it was recently announced that anyone losing their job would, after a period of one month, now be required to find a job in another field, for which they are suited. For someone without sight that might be working in a call centre or such like.

I am a great believer that we should support those who find themselves in difficult times. Not one of us can be certain it would never happen to them. What I cannot support is someone no longer able to carry out one occupation being supported because they don't much fancy doing something else.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I'm T1 and HGV driver.. so this is a concern every year when I have to renew my license

I'm afraid to say the only benefit you would get it job seekers allowance (if it still called that). which won't go far

you won't get any disability payments UNLESS there are other health factors that mean you qualify for disability payments

you simply be expected to get a job that does not require driving...

face it a supermarket job is typically available and there is normally bus stops locally

but if you like your job and don't want to lose your license then that good enough incentive to do your best control wise so that you don't lose it

Reactions: oldgreymare

DazNE

Hi folks,

Just wondering.

Thanks

I have to admit since I was diagnosed last week with T2 this subject has also crossed my mind.

I'm a self employed taxi driver however asking around I have come across alot of lads that have the same condition and still driving.

WOW if I lost my license I would be devastated, I have done this for 22 years now and love the freedom as well as the fact that I have built my own work up over the years I would hate to lose what I have achieved.

The other thing is I love driving on my days off, nothing better than a trip across to the Lake District.

No life without a licence would be very depressing for me and at 55 years young I would hate to go back to working for someone else.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to admit since I was diagnosed last week with T2 this subject has also crossed my mind.
There is absolutely no reason at all to expect you'll lose your license as a newly diagnosed T2.
Should you ever need insulin for your diabetes there will be a few hoops to jump through to keep your license, but that's not something I would expect if you keep an eye on your diabetes.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

I'm a self employed taxi driver however asking around I have come across alot of lads that have the same condition and still driving.

WOW if I lost my license I would be devastated, I have done this for 22 years now and love the freedom as well as the fact that I have built my own work up over the years I would hate to lose what I have achieved.

The other thing is I love driving on my days off, nothing better than a trip across to the Lake District.

No life without a licence would be very depressing for me and at 55 years young I would hate to go back to working for someone else.
they don't revoke car licenses even when moving to insulin... even then you'd have to have serious issues to lose your license ie have severe hypos....

HGV is slightly different as your license is revoked upon going on insulin

but I've been on insulin for nearly 12 years and have HGV

(edited)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DazNE