Type 2 Chinese meal, any advice…..

JayBee28

Any advice would be welcome…..I’m only 4 months in my journey, and still have loads to learn. We have a family meal at a Chinese restaurant on Saturday. Obviously, I won’t be having rice, noodles, sweet sauces, prawn crackers. Are there any dishes I should leave alone.

I’m going to stick to meat, fish and veg.

Thanks in advance.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Roast or crispy duck.. if crispy ditch the pancakes and sweet sauce.
Roast belly pork.
Stir fried prawns/other seafood with some veg.
If you ask many chinese restaurants will fix you something without starchy additions.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chinese is the most difficult when eating out. Even the meats tend to come in sweet sticky sauces. As you say avoid the obvious carbs, enjoy the evening, and get straight back on low carb the next morning.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Roast or crispy duck.. if crispy ditch the pancakes and sweet sauce.
Roast belly pork.
Stir fried prawns/other seafood with some veg.
If you ask many chinese restaurants will fix you something without starchy additions.
It's 4.38 AM and you've just made me want a Chinese!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the advice that @bulkbiker suggested. I tend to stick to crispy skin (not fried with batter) duck or chicken. I also tend to have something to eat before I go so I am less tempted by higher carb offerings.
You can also suggest a nice walk after dinner which would also help- not sure what your weather is like.
However, the most important thing is to make sure the next meal is back to your routine.

I admit I do struggle with Chinese in particular. I try to remember that it is not perfection that I strive for but the best I can do.

Good luck-enjoy the company of your family :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Foo yung- Saturday I had special chop suey, basically meats, veggies and bean sprouts ask for no sauce and salt and pepper ribs- though check if you have ribs etc because sometimes they use the bbq ribs for every thing, my local doesn’t.

Reactions: JayBee28

ZoeMobley

Yuk sung - minced pork & veggies wrapped in iceburg lettuce and no sticky sauce. I think it’s normally a starter but could have it as a main

Reactions: JayBee28