T2 Thin Newly Diagnosed

Babble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I have recently been diagnosed with T2 Diabetes.

I had Gestational Diabetes twice and the last pregnancy was 7 years ago. Both babies were 7lb full term, diet controlled until the last weeks with the second when I had insulin for a couple of weeks. My hba1c levels have crept up over the past 7 years, despite avoiding sugar/ carbs and not smoking or drinking. Last recorded at 54. I have always been ‘Slim’ and with a BMI of 20 at 5ft 11 I’m being told not to loose weight.

I have been advised to go on the NHS diet education programme, but I feel I know what I am doing diet and exercise wise by using my meter, as demonstrated throughout my pregnancies. Previous experience of advise from a dietitian doesn’t seem to work for me and I stick to low carb high fat. My cholesterol, blood pressure etc are all in the low or normal levels.

I’m just wondering if there are any others out there in the same boat. I just seem to get the same gobsmacked looks from Nurses and Doctors and lots of muttering about how I don’t look like a T2 which isn’t very helpful and is really getting me down.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just seem to get the same gobsmacked looks from Nurses and Doctors and lots of muttering about how I don’t look like a T2 which isn’t very helpful and is really getting me down.

Use that to get a c-peptide test so you at least know if you are over or underproducing your own insulin?

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Babble
I too had gestational diabetes 24 years ago, only diagnosed 6 weeks before my son was born(8lb 5.5oz at 34 weeks)
Diet controlled until this May with a1c of 128.
Now down to 34 (on & off gliclazide, now off, just metformin)
Had c-peptide & gad test, loads of insulin & no antibodies
I’ve got ‘oddity’ on my medical notes, they haven’t a clue what to do with me, bmi of 18 and evercise 5 days a week, you’re not alone.
Hope you get sorted no fun being in limbo

Reactions: ert and EllieM

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've been down the same path. Do get a GAD and C-Peptide done. Don't bother with dieticians as few know much about diet.. One day you may have to go onto insulin but some tablets such as Gliclazide can help for a while

Babble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Babble
I too had gestational diabetes 24 years ago, only diagnosed 6 weeks before my son was born(8lb 5.5oz at 34 weeks)
Diet controlled until this May with a1c of 128.
Now down to 34 (on & off gliclazide, now off, just metformin)
Had c-peptide & gad test, loads of insulin & no antibodies
I’ve got ‘oddity’ on my medical notes, they haven’t a clue what to do with me, bmi of 18 and evercise 5 days a week, you’re not alone.
Hope you get sorted no fun being in limbo

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I’m glad to hear I am not alone.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oddity here too! No GAD or the other T1 antibodies, low-normal c-peptide, BMI about 20, zero family history, regular exercise, healthy (but back then that meant whole-grain not low carb) diet, stubbornly high fasting glucose, possible gestational diabetes (no GTT but surprise 9lb baby). Mine started after I had mono so my understanding is that that may have kicked things off. At first I was rally worried about the LADA shoe dropping but it's been 7y now so I think I'm just a weirdo T2.

Reactions: OrsonKartt