High and low blood sugar days?

claire mccann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Does anyone else find that they have some days where their blood sugars are high snd others when they are just going low with no clear reason why? Like I swear I have days where it’s like the insulin is super active and others where it’s practically asleep!

Also then I feel I’m doing something wrong when it’s high, like I’ve failed or behaved badly-does anyone else feel like that? How do they get past it?

Thank you

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else find that they have some days where their blood sugars are high snd others when they are just going low with no clear reason why?
Definitely!
Although I'm quick to adjust my insulin so it's more that I have high and low insulin use days. I usually recognise a high insulin day in the morning, and it means I'll take more insulin for the same food over the day.

Reactions: JMoli and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Does anyone else find that they have some days where their blood sugars are high snd others when they are just going low with no clear reason why? Like I swear I have days where it’s like the insulin is super active and others where it’s practically asleep!

Like @Antje77 , it happens to me too. As I have a cgm I can act fast to knock in some extra humalog but then I have weeks where I have to drastically increase and then decrease my basal.

I try not to blame myself though. It's no one's fault that I have T1, and it can be unpredictable, and my cgm is a literal life saver. Yes, maybe I could sometimes manage it better, but I do the best I can. Life's too short for self blame over blood sugar control.

No one should blame themselves for having diabetes, of any type.

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep. Even times when I've no bolus on board & the basal should have tailed off hours ago?
I inexplicably went low last Saturday night?

What basal are you prescribed, @claire mccann ?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another from the ‘why the …. did that happen?’ camp here.
I worried about it for years, but realised if I have days (weeks sometimes) when things are perfect, then days when they definitely are not but I am still behaving in the same way, I just have to accept them as a blip that will rectify itself. It’s the only way to live with the condition and remain sane. Annoying when it messes up those perfect CGM stats though.

Last edited:

nicki92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is all still very new to me but yes I had a day recently where the Libre app showed 100% time in range, then the next day down to 60%. The first day I kept dipping a little low and eating a few carbs to compensate, and the next was the opposite.
I feel like I still have so much to learn (especially when eating pizza or macaroni cheese...).

claire mccann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve actually just reset my basal with the diabetic team as mine was well off. Thank you for reassuring me it’s not just me who has these completely random days, I had myself convinced I was doing something wrong!

Reactions: Antje77