Finally seeing clear success

JayAmerican

I finally "broke" the barrier of glucose my body kept dumping even when I reduced my carbs. Although not a scientific way to explain what I think is going on but I literally think my liver is running out of stored glucose to dump into my system between meals.

5 weeks ago I was hovering near 300 mg/DL, actually tested above 300 after a meal first visit to the doctor who basically told me I had a problem. The first week after that I thought I was doing what I should to but then a fasting test after 1 week showed me at 259. That's when I really changed the diet and went pseudo-keto as I learned what to eat and then now currently almost 100% keto - I say almost because I am still learning of food alternates and need to make sure I am properly balancing -- for example eating a lot of nuts full of Omega-6 I need to balance that out with Omega-3 which basically means: more fish. In the meantime I've added Omega-3 supplements and brought back in more regular Berberine as a supplement. At night when I know I may have trouble sleeping, I am taking melatonin as a soft way to induce me to not experience insomnia. Vitamin D as well but I don't think it helps unless I increase it dramatically (I'd rather just get more sun). I will be able to stop the melatonin once I'm back to a predictable sleep schedule. I have also been trying to calm my thinking and not fall into my stress triggers.

I was seeing my morning fasting blood still be in the 180-190 range until last weekend where it finally started to creep down, and now it is averaging 140s. My between-meal levels are in the 120s and 130s. Post-meal, my sugar is also not spiking much and go back to the "new normal" pretty quickly. Keep in mind these are keto meals not carb-rich. I have tracked that if I do eat non-fiber carbs (which is now rare) the blood sugars do spike but since I am avoiding that like the plague right now I'm not sure how high nor how quickly it would go back down.

I have started light workouts with a friend, and trying to fit in walking after every lunch during my work week. I will also be supplementing my light workouts with at-home calisthenics until I can do proper resistance training: planks, pull-ups, push-ups, crunches, squats, lunges. I will be looking at rowing machine as something to do when I get home before eating dinner.

My goal originally was to get to an average of 140s and get my fasting levels down. Once I am clearly staying in the 120-130 range average m next goal will be normal levels (under 100 average and a least 120 or lower morning fasting levels).

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm rather skeptical to supplementation treatments. My opinion is that they are rather a money grab. Anyway nothing will beat diet and excersise.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Congrats on the progress, that's great news. Good to see the reduction in numbers. You must be pleased with things so far.

JayAmerican

I'm rather skeptical to supplementation treatments. My opinion is that they are rather a money grab. Anyway nothing will beat diet and excersise.

I agree though my methodology is: I'm at war right now, I need as much ammo as possible. Once I win the main front and need to send y troops deeper into enemy territory I can test removal of some artillery. I know that most supplements are like ground leaves in a capsule, it doesn't hurt. If I burn a $200 for a couple of months as I see what helps or doesn't, it's worth testing for my health.

Reactions: Auto E and jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I finally "broke" the barrier of glucose my body kept dumping even when I reduced my carbs. Although not a scientific way to explain what I think is going on but I literally think my liver is running out of stored glucose to dump into my system between meals.

5 weeks ago I was hovering near 300 mg/DL, actually tested above 300 after a meal first visit to the doctor who basically told me I had a problem. The first week after that I thought I was doing what I should to but then a fasting test after 1 week showed me at 259. That's when I really changed the diet and went pseudo-keto as I learned what to eat and then now currently almost 100% keto - I say almost because I am still learning of food alternates and need to make sure I am properly balancing -- for example eating a lot of nuts full of Omega-6 I need to balance that out with Omega-3 which basically means: more fish. In the meantime I've added Omega-3 supplements and brought back in more regular Berberine as a supplement. At night when I know I may have trouble sleeping, I am taking melatonin as a soft way to induce me to not experience insomnia. Vitamin D as well but I don't think it helps unless I increase it dramatically (I'd rather just get more sun). I will be able to stop the melatonin once I'm back to a predictable sleep schedule. I have also been trying to calm my thinking and not fall into my stress triggers.

I was seeing my morning fasting blood still be in the 180-190 range until last weekend where it finally started to creep down, and now it is averaging 140s. My between-meal levels are in the 120s and 130s. Post-meal, my sugar is also not spiking much and go back to the "new normal" pretty quickly. Keep in mind these are keto meals not carb-rich. I have tracked that if I do eat non-fiber carbs (which is now rare) the blood sugars do spike but since I am avoiding that like the plague right now I'm not sure how high nor how quickly it would go back down.

I have started light workouts with a friend, and trying to fit in walking after every lunch during my work week. I will also be supplementing my light workouts with at-home calisthenics until I can do proper resistance training: planks, pull-ups, push-ups, crunches, squats, lunges. I will be looking at rowing machine as something to do when I get home before eating dinner.

My goal originally was to get to an average of 140s and get my fasting levels down. Once I am clearly staying in the 120-130 range average m next goal will be normal levels (under 100 average and a least 120 or lower morning fasting levels).

Your certainly on the right path down @JayAmerican

I took the liberty of putting the scores in mmol
liberally i'll admit.
so you start at 16+
average FBG now 7.8
and now are running sub 7's+/- between meals...Nice work..:D

I read the At WAR Posting..Liked it.

Do however still agree the supplements probably make more sense to the manufacturers then us,
but hey, if someone is willing to try ...and comes back with good reports,
who loses out..not you if your ok with that..:)
hope they add as much as possible for you.

I did find for myself i thought i was healthy enough until i wasn't and just put that down to age.
almost the entire 50's spent trudging along with various aches and ailments that in some cases made walking difficult

So the diagnosis was a shocker, but probably not THAT unexpected that something was wrong, if i'm honest.

To whit i went gung ho, dropped the carbs started running, hit the gym..then ran out of motivation to go out into the cold wet nights after work or trundle down to the gym..:rolleyes:

So bought weights & bench for indoors
and the piece de resistance was running on the spot..LoL

Music on, running shoes on, nice bit of carpeted area,
and a tablet with some 1st person pov running videos,
hung up in front to me.
ran VR beach/promenade areas personally, but hundreds out there to choose from

Inventive, maybe ..and not the triathlete i'd like to be, but it all helped me

Good luck with your own training regime.

Best wishes for your journey,
onward & downward &
may the numbers tumble in your favour

Reactions: DumfriesDik

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JayAmerican Hey, well done! That is a great reduction. Your persistence has paid off. :D

@Wojciechu for some of us supplements make a significant difference. My body seems unable to achieve adequate levels of B12, magnesium and Vit D without supplements. Deficiencies in those can lead to immune issues, neuropathy, heart disease, further blood glucose dysregulation and (in my case severe insomnia). Wonderful things, supplements, for those who need them.

JayAmerican

Yes I read that metformin should always be supplemented with B-12 and although I'm not on metformin I am taking Berberine as a supplement which I believe the same underlying need for extra B-12 would be there. Also, since I tested with a low vitamin D on my blood test, I am taking that as well. Those are the 3 primaries.

I am also taking turmeric about 2 times a day with meals as it's supposed to be an anti-inflammatory which might help as inflammation in the body increases insulin resistance - and it is a whole lot better than taking a motrin (OTC drug which is an NSAID and not good for the stomach). Lastly I am temporarily taking melatonin shortly before bed time to help me sleep and reduce insomnia.

I will eventually stop the melatonin and probably if my next A1C comes back good I will take out the turmeric as well. Vitamin D I can just be sure to get more sun and maybe addressing blood sugar levels might help my body to produce it more readily on its own.

I have stopped needing to wake up and pee in the middle of the night. That was happening quite often, sometimes twice a night, up until a month ago. Now it's rare, and only if I drank a lot of water before bed.

Reactions: jjraak

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So happy for you! This is so cool to see that you can change your health. So great.

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I read that metformin should always be supplemented with B-12 and although I'm not on metformin I am taking Berberine as a supplement which I believe the same underlying need for extra B-12 would be there. Also, since I tested with a low vitamin D on my blood test, I am taking that as well. Those are the 3 primaries.

I am also taking turmeric about 2 times a day with meals as it's supposed to be an anti-inflammatory which might help as inflammation in the body increases insulin resistance - and it is a whole lot better than taking a motrin (OTC drug which is an NSAID and not good for the stomach). Lastly I am temporarily taking melatonin shortly before bed time to help me sleep and reduce insomnia.

I will eventually stop the melatonin and probably if my next A1C comes back good I will take out the turmeric as well. Vitamin D I can just be sure to get more sun and maybe addressing blood sugar levels might help my body to produce it more readily on its own.

I have stopped needing to wake up and pee in the middle of the night. That was happening quite often, sometimes twice a night, up until a month ago. Now it's rare, and only if I drank a lot of water before bed.

Are you still Using Berberine? Did you notice any side effects? Reason i am asking planning to supplement Berberine.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JayAmerican Hey, well done! That is a great reduction. Your persistence has paid off. :D

@Wojciechu for some of us supplements make a significant difference. My body seems unable to achieve adequate levels of B12, magnesium and Vit D without supplements. Deficiencies in those can lead to immune issues, neuropathy, heart disease, further blood glucose dysregulation and (in my case severe insomnia). Wonderful things, supplements, for those who need them.
Hi, have you tried the Vitamin B Methylated. Some people can take all the vitamin B going but the body cannot process or convert it.. Have it Methylated gets it past that process and absorbed by the body.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, have you tried the Vitamin B Methylated. Some people can take all the vitamin B going but the body cannot process or convert it.. Have it Methylated gets it past that process and absorbed by the body.

Thanks, yes, I’ve been on methylated since I first identified the problem.
Very useful reminder though - I should be mentioning the form when I talk about a supplement. Especially with things like magnesium and B12! :)