Gliclazide is it that bad?

JohhnyHachoo

Am sure i have misspelt that!! If I can't get my HBAIC down for next time (in fEB 2010) the DN said we may try a very small dose of that as I cannot tolerate Metformin in any form at a level that makes any difference.

However, some posts on here have really scared me as they more or less state its nothing short of poison and buggers your Pancreas up.

Now, I don't know if that's the case or not but it isn't very helpful and puts the fear of god into fairly new bods like me.

Can anyone enlighten me without scarey remarks?

Chrissie
Hi

I have been on glickazide but gone off of it because of severe abdominal pain and nausea

I never had problems with hypos while on it but my morning fasting blood sugar was slowly increasing. Most mornings it was between 8 - 9.5

Chris181

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been able to reduce my glicklazide to 15 mg per day. Together with 1000mg per day of metformin, my HBAIC is 6.2. I have read that glucose toxicity is what kills beta cells when BS is above 7.8 mmol/L.

Nick78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Am sure i have misspelt that!! If I can't get my HBAIC down for next time (in fEB 2010) the DN said we may try a very small dose of that as I cannot tolerate Metformin in any form at a level that makes any difference.

However, some posts on here have really scared me as they more or less state its nothing short of poison and buggers your Pancreas up.

Now, I don't know if that's the case or not but it isn't very helpful and puts the fear of god into fairly new bods like me.

Can anyone enlighten me without scarey remarks?

Chrissie

Nick78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was put on gliclazide the other year it stopped working for me after a few months know I find it harder to control my sugars,the longer I was taking it the harder I found it to keep them where they should be,I eat pretty much the same everyday and take same doses of insulin but my sugars are all over the place somedays keep going low then days when they are perfect then other days carnt get them down does my head in doesn't help when they don't know what type of diabetes I have was initially diagnosed with LADA know they saying some funny type of type 2 despite the fact my antibody test came back type 1 when I was initially diagnosed,haven't had much luck with meds they put me on tresiba it brought some weird allergy to water out in me if I got wet I came out in welts all over my body looked like I had small pox same drinking inside of my mouth and throat swelled up this all stopped when went back on lantus

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
@Nick78 have you been tested for MODY? (I know nothing about it other than it is not T1/T2 and is genetic). I can totally believe that a LADA person would find gliclazide ineffective long term though, as it depends on stimulating the insulin production by your pancreas. As for reactions to insulin, the different varieties have different preservatives, so you may just have been unlucky with tresiba. (Disclaimer, I am not a doctor, that is just a wild guess).

Don't give up, even long term T1s (52 years for me) find that their insulin needs vary. There is a long standing joke on the T1 forums that the colour of your socks varies your insulin needs.

Nick78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Nick78 have you been tested for MODY? (I know nothing about it other than it is not T1/T2 and is genetic). I can totally believe that a LADA person would find gliclazide ineffective long term though, as it depends on stimulating the insulin production by your pancreas. As for reactions to insulin, the different varieties have different preservatives, so you may just have been unlucky with tresiba. (Disclaimer, I am not a doctor, that is just a wild guess).

Don't give up, even long term T1s (52 years for me) find that their insulin needs vary. There is a long standing joke on the T1 forums that the colour of your socks varies your insulin needs.
This is the issue I was diagnosed with LADA now they are trying to tell me I am ketosis type 2 or summat despite no further tests being done received a letter from hospital stating I was some where between 1 and 2 what kind of diagnosis is that,I have been reading up on it there are rare forms linked to autism of which I am I reckon I have one of these types as alot depends on my state of mind trouble is hospital won't look into it had massive row with one of the diabetic nurses over my diagnosis personally I think they have just put me in a box and that's that to make things easier for them my original test came back 100% as type one based on antibodys

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems to be quite helpful actually
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC3310990/
Although it is a sulphonylurea drug, it is a stage 2 progression, and does not suffer the same burnout problems that the others in the family are claimed to exhibit. I think it was only the very first ones that did have problems, and they were withdrawn ages ago.

according to my heart consultant, glic is also beneficial for the heart.
https://cardiab.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12933-018-0773-1

i have been on it for 8 years now. I am using a low carb diet, and I have dropped my dose from max (320mg) to min (40mg) a day. I have also dropped the Metformin, and my daily sugar level is running at around 6.5 mmol/l which is close to the 7 mmol/l that my doctor wants me to be at. I am low carb, not keto, and the glic allows me to eat bread and potatoes daily.