Sudden cold feet

winter2342343

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me.

I never usually have problems with cold feet, in fact I have been used to wearing socks or just barefoot even around the house in the middle of winter for years. However, I'm now getting really cold feet for no apparent reason, I've noticed this over the past week or so. Yes I know it's cold right now but as I say I never normally have this problem. What's changed? well since mid September I've been low carbing and exercising regularly, running 3 times a week (just for 15 mins) and walking an 45 minutes to an hour every night. I've lost 3 stone as of last week, so it's going well but I'm worried about nerve damage (been diabetic for 5 years). I'm on one metformin a day.

Any advice would be great, I'm due a diabetic foot review in April. I don't really have any symptoms of peripheral neuropathy as far as I can figure out, I can feel both pulses in each foot and appear to have lots of sensitivity.

Thanks,

Neil.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just come back from a zumba class where everyone else was warm. My hands were freezing.!
My feet do get cold now, and I used to hate wearing slippers. Now it's socks and slippers.

I too have lost 3 stone. I put it down to losing the layers of fat as insulation.

I'll be interested to read what other say,

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Both losing weight and lowering blood glucose can cause you to feel the cold more. So it might be as benign as that. :)

Reactions: EllieM

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Since I increased the amount of fat I eat as a part of eating low carb, I tend to run warmer than I did before. I used to get very cols hands and feet due to poor circulation and although I still seem to suffer them more than the average person, i think the extra energy (from fats) in my diet has caused a difference apart from having more energy for physical tasks.
Perhaps my metabolic rate is running faster because I certainly have less body fat than I did before, weighing around 16% less than I did at my maximum.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost a lump of weight and a substantial fat layer since last summer. I now wear gloves (sometimes) when I go out of the house and - horror or horrors! - often wear fluffy slipper socks around the house. I've even been seen wearing more than a t-shirt around the house. This is not the way it used to be, but I reckon I've shed the equivalent of a fur coat or two in natural insulation.

I can't speak to neuropathy, but I definitely need more after market insulation than I used to.

Reactions: Heatherpat