New med regimen and hypos

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I don't think my new med regimen is safe. Woke up in sweats- hypo at 2.9. Hope my drs. will understand if i stop them due to the risk of oversleeping snack intervals.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can recall the reading on a meter or testing device I can't see any way a GP could argue that your medication is not wrong for you - I just showed a nurse my meter readings on four consecutive days explaining 'beans' 'no beans' 'peas' 'no peas' to show that my response to legumes did not match expectations.

Reactions: Ragmar

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If you can recall the reading on a meter or testing device I can't see any way a GP could argue that your medication is not wrong for you - I just showed a nurse my meter readings on four consecutive days explaining 'beans' 'no beans' 'peas' 'no peas' to show that my response to legumes did not match expectations.
I appreciate your "comraderie".

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don't think my new med regimen is safe. Woke up in sweats- hypo at 2.9. Hope my drs. will understand if i stop them due to the risk of oversleeping snack intervals.

I absolutely agree that 2.9 is too low, but what is the regimen? If it was just insulin I'd just have less of it but am guessing this is not an option?

Virtual hugs., I loathe hypos.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I absolutely agree that 2.9 is too low, but what is the regimen? If it was just insulin I'd just have less of it but am guessing this is not an option?

Virtual hugs., I loathe hypos.
Yes, I hate hypos too: they feel like immanent death. I really had to struggle to get out of bed to treat it. I have been switched from lithium to divalproex and Latuda-- both producing remarkably excessive sleep, and both increasing blood sugar and interrupting snack time. Unfortunately, I took lithium for too many years and somehow it became toxic.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I hate hypos too: they feel like immanent death. I really had to struggle to get out of bed to treat it.
Please keep something to treat a hypo right next to your bed!

And yes, if your medication causes hypos, you need to speak to your doctor about adjusting the meds urgently.
What meds are you planning to stop?
The divalproex and Latuda or one of your diabetes medications?
It makes more sense to have the medication for your diabetes adjusted than to stop medication you need for other things.

According to your profile you're on insulin and gliclazide, both can cause hypos, and both can be adjusted in dose.
Please don't just stop the medication you need for your mental health!

Reactions: EllieM and lessci

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Please keep something to treat a hypo right next to your bed!

And yes, if your medication causes hypos, you need to speak to your doctor about adjusting the meds urgently.

What meds are you planning to stop?
The divalproex and Latuda or one of your diabetes medications?
It makes more sense to have the medication for your diabetes adjusted than to stop medication you need for other things.

According to your profile you're on insulin and gliclazide, both can cause hypos, and both can be adjusted in dose.
Please don't just stop the medication you need for your mental health!

Yes, I agree that adjustment would be the best course, which is what I am doing now; cutting the divalproex and reducing the Latuda, as they make me sleep almost all day long with intervals of insomnia at night. I miss lithium very much but more care could have been given for the dose and monitoring (41 yrs. on maintenance dose). As for hypos, I have had them occasionally before, but they are much more difficult to do so when Latuda knocks you out for 8 hrs. of sleep after taking it, and divalproex just makes you have a nap during the day. Future may require a different bipolar med.

Insulin and glyclazide have been steady and easy to monitor on a schedule.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are on Gliclazide and insulin that's unusual as they do a similar job. I would talk to the GP about stopping one of them and adjusting the remaining one. Gliclazide can cause hypos if the dose is too high so that may need reducing. What insulin regime are you on?

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If you are on Gliclazide and insulin that's unusual as they do a similar job. I would talk to the GP about stopping one of them and adjusting the remaining one. Gliclazide can cause hypos if the dose is too high so that may need reducing. What insulin regime are you on?

Humulin N, 42-46 units depending on day's diet and activity. I will mention your idea to my GP; I think you have some insight, but having an extra-insulin med allows for flexibility in the diet. Thank you

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Humulin N, 42-46 units depending on day's diet and activity. I will mention your idea to my GP; I think you have some insight, but having an extra-insulin med allows for flexibility in the diet. Thank you
I would go along with the idea to either reduce the glicizide or the insulin, preferably stop the glic slowly, as if you are getting continuous hypos, there is definitely too much insulin there, there is no other reason for this!
I don't understand why, you are on glicizide and insulin?
Does your doctors believe your metabolism needs both?
because I fear they believe you cannot take control of your BG levels, and are overcompensating.
along with your other meds and possibly not doing enough, is the reason for it.

My wife is disabled, with T2, they suggested glic, but after saying we would try dietary control, then recommended ozempic, this has stabilised her BG levels. When is on various meds, to help with pain issues, and she does sleep too much because of them.

Best wishes,
Stay safe.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would go along with the idea to either reduce the glicizide or the insulin, preferably stop the glic slowly, as if you are getting continuous hypos, there is definitely too much insulin there, there is no other reason for this!
I don't understand why, you are on glicizide and insulin?
Does your doctors believe your metabolism needs both?
because I fear they believe you cannot take control of your BG levels, and are overcompensating.
along with your other meds and possibly not doing enough, is the reason for it.

My wife is disabled, with T2, they suggested glic, but after saying we would try dietary control, then recommended ozempic, this has stabilised her BG levels. When is on various meds, to help with pain issues, and she does sleep too much because of them.

Best wishes,
Stay safe.
I'm sorry your wife is disabled; is the cause diabetes? About gliclazide and Humulin, it may be a result of switching doctors and one not changing a long history of meds. These are tough medical times.

mick808

my bloods were 8.6 this morning. 4 hours later and after a small breakfast and cuppa, driving back home, started trembling. Got home just in time and gone into hypo measuring 3.3.
just seems you cant win with this awful condition sometimes.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm sorry your wife is disabled; is the cause diabetes? About gliclazide and Humulin, it may be a result of switching doctors and one not changing a long history of meds. These are tough medical times.
No, she developed T2, as a result of disability, her spine is crumbling, displaced discs, nerves trapped, in constant pain, they tried to operate, but nought, too much damage!
Just sort out your meds @Erin!
Since coming off my antidepressants, I feel different in a good way!

Best wishes!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
my bloods were 8.6 this morning. 4 hours later and after a small breakfast and cuppa, driving back home, started trembling. Got home just in time and gone into hypo measuring 3.3.
just seems you cant win with this awful condition sometimes.
Hi @mick808 ,
What meds are you on?, because T2s should not get low readings unless on meds!
Has this happened more than once?

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No, she developed T2, as a result of disability, her spine is crumbling, displaced discs, nerves trapped, in constant pain, they tried to operate, but nought, too much damage!
Just sort out your meds @Erin!
Since coming off my antidepressants, I feel different in a good way!

Best wishes!

I hope the doctors are liberal with pain drugs for her.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Lamont, sorry for late reply, I take metformin 500mg x3 and half a tab of 80mg gliclazide each day.

Hi @mick808 , How often are you getting the symptoms of shakes etc?
Glicizide will drive your blood glucose levels down.
If this is reoccurring, you need to speak to your GP, about dosage or coming off them, if your hba1c and control are decent.

Keep safe.

mick808

Hi @mick808 , How often are you getting the symptoms of shakes etc?
Glicizide will drive your blood glucose levels down.
If this is reoccurring, you need to speak to your GP, about dosage or coming off them, if your hba1c and control are decent.

Keep safe.
thanks Lamont, this shakiness is only when glucose drops significantly more or less into hypo. to be fair, this isnt happening much now as I think I have it sorted and now eat properly. I have been diagnosed for 11 months now so I guess medication is a bit trial and error for my doc.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
thanks Lamont, this shakiness is only when glucose drops significantly more or less into hypo. to be fair, this isnt happening much now as I think I have it sorted and now eat properly. I have been diagnosed for 11 months now so I guess medication is a bit trial and error for my doc.

I think that what you are experiencing is called false hypos, this is where, blood glucose drips quickly and you get the symptoms of a hypo!
I would still talk to your doctor!

keep safe.