Thinking about Low Carb & T2

fitbloke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed quite a few years ago with T2 but also take stomach acid inhibitors so most programs and diet plans nearly all include SPICES and they and the various menus suggested, give me problems

Amazingly chinese style food does not seem to upset me but various red meat and tomato based foods do and salad is a difficult food to digest

all I ask is anyone have a similar problem and how do you cope especially if a diet scheme can be followed, for that matter, does the Low Carb Program provide the answer to my dietary problem?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed quite a few years ago with T2 but also take stomach acid inhibitors so most programs and diet plans nearly all include SPICES and they and the various menus suggested, give me problems

Amazingly chinese style food does not seem to upset me but various red meat and tomato based foods do and salad is a difficult food to digest

all I ask is anyone have a similar problem and how do you cope especially if a diet scheme can be followed, for that matter, does the Low Carb Program provide the answer to my dietary problem?

Fitbloke, on the low carb programme you can check a box to say you don't want red meat or whatever included in any suggestions they might make for meals.

In terms of following a low carb way of eating and avoiding red meat or whatever, that's very doable and most of us have things we'd rather not eat, for whatever reason.

D

Deleted member 543160

I eat low carb, and while I don't follow any specific diet plans, I'll sometimes just look at a recipe for ideas of what to do with the ingredients I have or want to use, and omit the rest.

With low carb, all you basically need are protein, fats, and maybe a few carbs; spices & sauces can be considered an optional extra, so it should be possible for you to avoid any spices this way, though the results may be a bit bland.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed quite a few years ago with T2 but also take stomach acid inhibitors
I used to have big problems with my digestion, leading to my taking stomach acid inhibitors. They never seemed to help much. What has helped enormously is starting to eat very low carb. Before, I was eating a very "healthy" Mediterranean diet, with lots and lots of fruit. Nowadays I do miss the fruit but I'm SO glad not to have to deal with the acid reflux etc. Once my indigestion pain was so bad, I ended up as an emergency admission to hospital being tested for 24 hours for a suspected heart attack.
If you were to decide to try out a low carb diet, you might find after a while that you no longer needed your stomach acid inhibitors and could permit yourself spicy food!
Btw I believe PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibitors) are no longer routinely recommended for long term use due to possible bad effects.

Reactions: HSSS

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't eat red meat apart from bacon occasionally - I do fine with chicken, turkey, eggs, cheese and fish (esp salmon) along with cauliflower and loads of green veg, some salad, but also greek yogurt and raspberries.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I used to have big problems with my digestion, leading to my taking stomach acid inhibitors. They never seemed to help much. What has helped enormously is starting to eat very low carb. Before, I was eating a very "healthy" Mediterranean diet, with lots and lots of fruit. Nowadays I do miss the fruit but I'm SO glad not to have to deal with the acid reflux etc. Once my indigestion pain was so bad, I ended up as an emergency admission to hospital being tested for 24 hours for a suspected heart attack.
If you were to decide to try out a low carb diet, you might find after a while that you no longer needed your stomach acid inhibitors and could permit yourself spicy food!
Btw I believe PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibitors) are no longer routinely recommended for long term use due to possible bad effects.
@Alexandra100 I absolutely agree as I also had to have indigestion tablets always to hand BEFORE I went low carb! I never need any at all now :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Alexandra100 I absolutely agree as I also had to have indigestion tablets always to hand BEFORE I went low carb! I never need any at all now :)
@coby Indeed! I still have packets and packets of sugar-free Rennies from BEFORE tucked away in a drawer just in case. Did you know that many different flavours of Renny are available on prescription, but NOT the sugar-free! And I don't believe it is because the NHS thinks artificial sweeteners are bad for us. Rather, the NHS has not yet even cottoned on that sugar is bad for us.

RosemaryJackson

Fitbloke Hi. I've been type 2 since 2009. I have an Hiatus Hernia and had continual Heartburn. I had an Endoscopy which showed an awful lot of inflammation so was put on Lanzaprazole. Couldn't take it, had diarrhea all the time. Tried 2 more, same result. Gaviscon tablets were my buddies, couldn't live without them. Then I found out about lowcarb eating, joined this forum and have never looked back. Since eating low carb, heartburn is a thing of the past. I have learned so much from the wise owls in the forum. Take notice of them, they will help you as they have helped me.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Lansoprazole used to have terrible acid reflux, nearly inhaled vomit whilst asleep several times. amazing how quickly you wake up fully alert, thanks to a first aid course several years ago i figured a way to treat it, i would pull my shoulders forward and slam my back against the wall to expel the vomit, worked a charm but very uncomfortable burning in the larynx. Eating low carb is no problem and i love spices which are also now not a problem. whether this is because of the low carb i don't know. i'm just thankful that spicy food is no problem to me. if Lansoprazole causes diarrhea then that probably helps to balance out my diverticular disease induced constipation, so a double win.