non invasive blood glucose measurements

mick808

Hello all,
I have been reading about Apple,Samsung etc making these watches for diabetics. does anyone have any information on them ?
Last year I recall a statement saying that developments were happening rapidly and we may see prototypes rolled out this year.

I for one cant wait, I hate finger pricking and those Libres are too expensive every month for a T2.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Non-invasive blood glucose measuring has been researched and discussed all the time I have had diabetes which is nearly 20 years. I am sure something will come but I am not sure it will be cheap.

Sorry you hate finger pricking but those of us with Type 1 diabetes have been doing it at least 4 times a day (often over 10 times a day) and just have to get on with it. I hate injecting insulin but would die if I didn't and would die if I took the wrong dose. Finger pricking is the necessary.

M

Member496333

It always seems to be one of those ‘game changer’ technologies that is perpetually ‘less than five years away’ but never actually arrives. Personally I feel that lot of the chatter is out there to help drum up continued investment. Which isn’t a bad thing necessarily, but Apple is worth three trillion dollars and they still haven’t managed to add it to their watch. I’m not convinced there’s anything approaching an accurate system even close to the consumer market. Very happy to be proven wrong, as one day I hopefully shall, but I certainly won’t be holding my breath in the meantime.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It always seems to be one of those ‘game changer’ technologies that is perpetually ‘less than five years away’ but never actually arrives.
Indeed, many of us who have had diabetes for a long time have seen this going on for decades

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's also the consideration that if they do crack it they'll hardly release it as a one off cost where users are forking out 100 quid a month for CGMs.
I could see them making it a subscription feature.

If they were so close to rolling it out then why would Abbott or Dexcom continue investing so much in continuous development of the CGMs.

mick808

There's also the consideration that if they do crack it they'll hardly release it as a one off cost where users are forking out 100 quid a month for CGMs.
I could see them making it a subscription feature.

If they were so close to rolling it out then why would Abbott or Dexcom continue investing so much in continuous development of the CGMs.
Yes, I thought that too. After the initial investment of the machine itself, there is bound to be some kind of subscription. As long as its loads cheaper than Libre, I would look at it.

M

Member496333

I doubt Apple would charge a subscription fee if they ever add it to Apple Watch. For them it would be a capture point to entice more consumers into their ecosystem. I honestly don't see anyone beating them to market with this. They will just buy any company that has the technology. They also have essentially limitless funds with which to lobby for regulatory approval.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do think we are closer than ever to cgms. I had some early watch about 20 years ago but it was never reliable and they went bust!
Will be great to see people eating their 'healthy wholegrains' and jacket spuds and realising that these foods spike them and keep them high.
We are gathering FSL spares in my little group and handing them out for interested parties to try as often you don't need to be testing all the time every day to understand general trends.