Potato milk!

M

Member496333

@Jim Lahey - perhaps you'd prefer the trendily named DUG Barista Potato M*lk version which is what Waitrose are offering us::wideyed:
Water, Potato (9%), Rapeseed Oil, Maltodextrin, Pea Protein, Chicory (Vegetable) Fibre, Fructose, Sucrose, Acidity Regulator (Di-and Mono Sodium Phosphate), Calcium Carbonate, Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavour, Vitamins (D, Riboflavin, B12, Folic Acid)
Carbohydrate 4.8g of which sugars 1.8g

Years ago I believed vegan was fresh, completely natural and healthy - though not really to my liking - but what I'm seeing now is often "vegan" junk food.:yuck::yuck: And @Mbaker, my recent thoughts have been that "Keto" is already going the same way....

:nailbiting:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw it in the paper. Sounds absolutely disgusting!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
@Jim Lahey - perhaps you'd prefer the trendily named DUG Barista Potato M*lk version which is what Waitrose are offering us::wideyed:
Water, Potato (9%), Rapeseed Oil, Maltodextrin, Pea Protein, Chicory (Vegetable) Fibre, Fructose, Sucrose, Acidity Regulator (Di-and Mono Sodium Phosphate), Calcium Carbonate, Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavour, Vitamins (D, Riboflavin, B12, Folic Acid)
Carbohydrate 4.8g of which sugars 1.8g

Years ago I believed vegan was fresh, completely natural and healthy - though not really to my liking - but what I'm seeing now is often "vegan" junk food.:yuck::yuck: And @Mbaker, my recent thoughts have been that "Keto" is already going the same way....
I think it is human nature to gamify a good thing. On "Potato Milk" what a joke, if it were genuine it would be mulched potato and that's it, just imagine how potato only would taste. Why is it called milk, the diary industry should appeal this nonsense, it is a juice, milk comes from a mammalian being. Should we now rename carrot or tomato juice to milks also, don't get me started oat milk - ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 543160

I think it is human nature to gamify a good thing. On "Potato Milk" what a joke, if it were genuine it would be mulched potato and that's it, just imagine how potato only would taste. Why is it called milk, the diary industry should appeal this nonsense, it is a juice, milk comes from a mammalian being. Should we now rename carrot or tomato juice to milks also, don't get me started oat milk - ridiculous.
Waitrose have actually listed it as "M*LK" rather than "MILK" - asterisk is theirs!

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not environmentally friendly either. If you've ever lived next to fields of potatoes, it's frightening how often they are sprayed - fungicide, insecticide, maybe (not sure) growth regulator and possibly other -cides as well. The ones I'm referring to were sprayed once or twice a week all summer.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Brexit is likely to scupper this in the long term.
It is getting increasingly hard to find Eastern Europeans to work the long, hard, cold hours in the fields to milk the potatoes.
:angelic:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was raised in the commons, along with steak and burger and sausage, as to whether these were animal only terms or could apply to vegan products. Our politicians followed the EU and declared that to be so. They also decided that it was not necessary to declare it as being plant based (aka Impossible Burger, and Vegetarian Butcher.) They also decided that vegan food can be displayed alonside animal products in the same freezer/ shelf. But I believe the vegan society kicked baclk on that one.

Our town will shortly have two McDonalds on opposite sides of the road one for meat based fodder, the other dedicated to vegan only.

Going back to the milk product. If it is vegan, then the vitamin D and the B12 will be derived from microbial sludge fermented in a vat just like Quorn products. The problem is that it is very expensive and wastes a lot of water and energy to produce these 'vitamins'. Vegan milk is required to be fortified in the same way our wheat flour is. You will find Alpro and Oat milks have been fortified. They taste foul IMO. And Elmlea is not cream in my view.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Peanut butter is not a dairy product, and was banned years ago here in Queensland from being called butter and had to be called paste.

https://australianfoodtimeline.com.au/peanut-butter-ban/

My local butcher has / had some signs on the walls and his face book page about vegetable based meat products, and advising customers not to enquire about them as they will not like the answer.

He sells real milk and cream from cows as well just to keep my post on topic.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pizza is classified as a vegetable in American schools dinners,
(Quoted in Lustigs Metabolical)
So of course potatoes can be milk..
And crabs can be sticks
What on earth are you all getting confused over?
;)

D

Deleted member 543160

Brexit is likely to scupper this in the long term.
It is getting increasingly hard to find Eastern Europeans to work the long, hard, cold hours in the fields to milk the potatoes.
:angelic:
Unfortunately, DUG are a Swedish based company...

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
It sounds utterly disgusting as do other milk alternatives so I’ll keep to cows milk nothing wrong with that.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

So, this potato "m*lk" or miiiiiiiilk (if one wishes to market it "Red bull" style.)

Anyone actually tried it?

How did your BGs fair on it??

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pizza is classified as a vegetable in American schools dinners,
(Quoted in Lustigs Metabolical)
So of course potatoes can be milk..
And crabs can be sticks
What on earth are you all getting confused over?
;)
Milk of Magnesia! Milk of human kindness? Milking the system? Milky Way! Milky Bar Kid. In my case milky blood stopped a couple of recent blood tests.

Reactions: Lamont D