Slow-healing infected wound

HomerSimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Back in December, during the Christmas holiday, I noticed the cut on my hand had become infected, as it was weeping pus. I immediately called my GP practice, and the doctor put me on a course of oral antibiotics.

I finished the course, but the wound was still large and infected. A nurse then prescribed me fusidic acid (antibiotic cream).

Fast forward to February, the wound has shrunk, but it’s still present and weeping.

My BG is normal for most of the day. I’m just using savlon to treat my wound. Has anyone had a really slow-healing infected wound? How do you treat it?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer apart from raising to your doctors that you are still having issues

Last edited by a moderator:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a infection called Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a wound on my leg (not diabetees related) that is oral antibiotic resistant. It gets treated by a infusion mix of some brew that I cannot think of the names. I get this done at the emergency dept at the local hospital when needed.

I get a swab done every four weeks by my GP, to get tested the pathology mob to see what if it's flaring up again.

HomerSimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a infection called Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a wound on my leg (not diabetees related) that is oral antibiotic resistant. It gets treated by a infusion mix of some brew that I cannot think of the names. I get this done at the emergency dept at the local hospital when needed.

I get a swab done every four weeks by my GP, to get tested the pathology mob to see what if it's flaring up again.

How long have you had the infected wound?

HomerSimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

How long have you had the wound and what do you use to cover it?

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Make sure that you are getting enough Zinc in your diet/through supplementation.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Were swabs taken of your wound so that that causative agent could be identified? A more targeted approach to treatment could be possible.I
Also, a dressing that contains silver might be useful.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @HomerSimpson ,

I had an argument with an angle grinder a couple of years back that went dodgy.. It was treated by a "first aider" at work after I asked for a bandage. Then I was sent off an hour later & sought treatment within 5 minutes at reception at my GP, (mentioning the magic D word.) by a nurse.

The wound ended up getting really angry with green mucas weeping the following morning. I rang work telling them I was heading off to A&E. It was cleaned up, dressed & I was put on a course of antibiotics.

From memory. There was persistent scabbing, but it did heal after a few weeks? (Or so?)

You need to raise this with your GP. Or nurse..

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long have you had the infected wound?
Twenty plus years, after breaking my ankle where a bone poked through the skin and got infected.
How long have you had the wound and what do you use to cover it?
It is cleaned three times a week by private nurses (Blue Care) here at home, they use dressings from this list that I supply:

Protosan wound irrigation fluid
Gauze pads to clean the fluff out of the wound
Prontosan Wound Gel
Sorbect Compress (Some seaweed stuff that looks like green shade cloth)
Carboflex dressings (charcoal based to contain odours)
Cutilin 10 x 20cm dressing
Impervia absorbent dressing 10 x 20cm @ $0.50
Impervia combine dressing 20 x 20cm @ $0.45
Tubigrip compression stockings.

The dressing set me back nearly $200.00 per month from my supplier Independence Australia.
Make sure that you are getting enough Zinc in your diet/through supplementation.
Over the years I have become allergic to zinc cream, I put that on my legs and with hours I have an outbreak of dermatitis.

Jak13

Any wound that doesn’t heal should be referred to a tissue viability nurse for assessment. In the uk, gp’s can refer as can practice nurses. Go back and seek advice from the gp or practice nurses - good luck, healing can be a long journey x

Jigjack

Someone got my comment about turmeric deleted here. I was just trying to help as it has helped me with my wounds. Maybe someone thought I was joking. Trust me I would not joke here as I am here dealing with my own diabetic complication which is way bigger than a wound. Just because I suggested something natural and not allopathic doesnt mean it doesnt work at all. For some it will work and some it won't just like many people here with long standing wound that dont react to antibuotics.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@HomerSimpson have you looked into HBOT (hyperbaric oxygen therapy)? In the UK slow healing wounds in diabetes are one of the conditions it is authorised for. And if the NHS wait is too long, look into your local MS Action centre - many of them offer a (relatively) low cost option to those with approved conditions other than MS (I am currently using it for Long Covid).

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Someone got my comment about turmeric deleted here. I was just trying to help as it has helped me with my wounds.

You have to be careful when posting not to cross the line of saying "turmeric really helped me when I had an injury" and saying "use turmeric it will help you". The latter comes across as a medical instruction which is against forum rules.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
you should always speak to doctor or pharmacy for support in my view first. Especially where you are not healing with normal BG it might need further investigation

My father found some tea tree in his bath helped with healing of diabetic related leg ulcers. Tea tree shouldn’t be used directly on skin and any supplement should be taken with care of course

Reactions: EllieM

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've always been a slow healer that scars easily, and find that hydrocolloid plasters (like blister plasters) help, but I would get it check out if you've already had a infection, just to be safe