Losing 10 per cent of body weight doubles the chance of type 2 diabetes remission

DCUK NewsBot

People with type 2 diabetes who lose 10% of their body weight within the first five years of diagnosis can double their chances of achieving diabetes remission, according to a new study. Research by the University of Cambridge tracked 867 people aged between 40 and 60 who were recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. When followed up five years on, 257 had achieved remission of the condition. Participants who had lost 10% of their body weight were over twice as likely to achieve remission when compared to people who had maintained their weight. Dr Hajira Dambha-Miller, from the university's Department of Public Health and Primary Care, was one of the researchers and said: "We've known for some time now that it's possible to send diabetes into remission using fairly drastic measures such as intensive weight loss programmes and extreme calorie restriction. These interventions can be very challenging to individuals and difficult to achieve. "But, our results suggest that it may be possible to get rid of diabetes, for at least five years, with a more modest weight loss of 10 per cent. This will be more motivating and hence more achievable for many people." Fellow researcher Professor Simon Griffin added: "This reinforces the importance of managing one's weight, which can be achieved through changes in diet and increasing physical activity. Type 2 diabetes, while a chronic disease, can lead to significant complications, but as our study shows, can be controlled and even reversed." The study was published by Diabetic Medicine and funded by Wellcome as well as the Medical Research Council and the National Institute for Health Research. The researchers are now investigating the best ways to help people with type 2 diabetes achieve and maintain weight loss. One of the methods proven to achieve remission and help with weight loss is to follow a low carb lifestyle, which need not involve intense calorie restriction. Research outcomes published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research in 2018 showed that the Low Carb Program is effective in helping people with type 2 diabetes achieve weight loss and remission. The study demonstrated that, after one year of completing the program, average weight loss of participants was 7.4kg and one in four people were able to achieve remission. The new research from the University of Cambridge helps to underline the achievable nature of type 2 diabetes remission, particularly in those relatively recently diagnosed.

Continue reading...

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wonder if me losing more increases my chances too. I'd like to think so but if insulin pathways aren't fixed. Maybe not.
Weight if the cause can be the answer, of course.

Reactions: Diabetesdave1

belfastbiker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being so big I have my own postcode.
I've 66% to lose, so hoping for some improvements beyond the 10% from my initial HbA1C of 107 mmol/L.

Aiming for 10% loss initially after 3 months IF/LowCarb dieting.

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've lost 22% of my body weight so far (well over 7.4kg) and my hba1c dropped from 78 to 39. I have dropped all drugs except Metformin and my finger pricks are averaging 5

I did this well over a decade since diagnosis so yeah... I'd tend to agree :)

My aim in total is 32% loss. I have 11kg to go so hopefully early next year

Stupot1

I must say that I agree with most, after feeling extremely tired and a chat with the docs and some blood test it turns out I was diabetic with a score of 67? After the initial shock and a good kick up the backside I made a special effort, over 4 months with 2000mg of metformin per day my exercise increased, watching what I ate, my wight reduced by 2 stone the next blood test was 41. I can’t tell you how it made me feel, doc’s have took me off meds to see if life style changes only will suffice in keeping the diabetes away or if I am still going to need meds. Give it a try folks the proof is in the pudding lol, so long it’s low carb.