Cateracts!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well, my flabber has well and truly been gasted!
I was perusing YouTube about the best way to halt my small cataract getting worse, and I came across a doctor from the states advising five tips to treat oxidation of the eyes which causes cataracts.
1. Stop smoking! (Normal!)
2. Protect your eyes from direct sunlight! (Seriously, what sun?)
3. Stop eating sugar! Any sugar! Anything containing sugar!
4. Stop eating grains and starchy vegetables! Hang on!............... A doctor who is actually advising no carbs as such!
5. The best bit, which I never thought I would hear .........ever! Stop using vegetable oils!!!!!!!

He then said anything that causes oxidation, or glycaemic loads. Is not good for our health!

Trying to find his take on diabetes! Bumped into a few herbal or vegan or smoothie remedies!!!!!
Dr. KenDBerry.

Best wishes.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, my flabber has well and truly been gasted!
I was perusing YouTube about the best way to halt my small cataract getting worse, and I came across a doctor from the states advising five tips to treat oxidation of the eyes which causes cataracts.

He then said anything that causes oxidation, or glycaemic loads. Is not good for our health!

Trying to find his take on diabetes! Bumped into a few herbal or vegan or smoothie remedies!!!!!
Dr. KenDBerry.

Best wishes.

I am so glad Dr Berry talks sense (aka I agree with him) because with his accent I think I'd listen to anything he had to say.

Interesting stuff about cataracts though, from an unscientific collection of anecdata I was working on the theory that getting them was almost inevitable, it's nice to read that there is some hope of swerving, or delaying, them.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had slight cataracts early last year I could still see well with glasses but I was advised to have them operated on, I had bothe done simple operation and I can now see perfectly with no glasses, I would advise anybody to have surgery but to have the best lenses, not having to wear glasses for the first time for 35 years is great

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’m 59 years of age and have cataracts have been referred for op , my optician told me that diabetics are definitely more susceptible to cataracts at an earlier age .

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Had slight cataracts early last year I could still see well with glasses but I was advised to have them operated on, I had bothe done simple operation and I can now see perfectly with no glasses, I would advise anybody to have surgery but to have the best lenses, not having to wear glasses for the first time for 35 years is great

Just checking (before searching).
If you have cataracts removed do you then have to wear contact lenses?

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That depends what type lenses you have mono lense just near or far distance , dual near and far distance or triple near, far and middle distance, I had triple lance which also cured my stigma in one eye, if you just have mono you may need contact lenses or glasses if you already have them

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cataract-surgery/

This doesn't paint a particularly attractive picture of the results.
However it does answer my initial question.
The lens in the eye (which is cloudy) is replaced with a clear plastic lens.
This is permanent, not like a contact lens which you put in and take out.

Most of the description assumes much worse eyesight than I have at the moment, with only mild cataracts.

Doddy1974

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been dx with cataracts - I had no idea that as a diabetic I was more at risk. I have been told they are right in the middle of my eye. Optician won’t refer me yet but my eyesight is driving me insane. I have had my new glasses remade because everything is blurry - surely my eyesight can’t change that much in the week between eye test and picking up new glasses!

• Hug
Reactions: jpscloud

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have been dx with cataracts - I had no idea that as a diabetic I was more at risk. I have been told they are right in the middle of my eye. Optician won’t refer me yet but my eyesight is driving me insane. I have had my new glasses remade because everything is blurry - surely my eyesight can’t change that much in the week between eye test and picking up new glasses!

Your eyesight can change rapidly (often temporarily) if your BG control is changing.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You can now get lens inserts that are prescription and act as a permanent contact lens they are very expensive I believe.
NHS would only fund the removal of one cataract and will have to be referred again when the other requires removal.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just as an aside in case it helps anyone, my diabetic dad (77 years old) just had his cataracts done; it was pretty straightforward, he didn't find it unpleasant, and he's doing fine now. Hopefully everyone else getting it done has a similar experience!

• Useful
Reactions: jjraak and Lamont D

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I had cataract surgery ten years ago and yes it was straight forward and painless, but I had both eyes done within a couple of months my optician found them and referred me.
But all isn’t plain and simple after surgery your new lenses are made of plastic and when the sun shines it bounces off your lenses and causes glare.You can’t see it is blinding so you need sunglasses with you at all times even on sunny days in winter I was only person walking around in winter sunglasses on.K

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had cataract surgery ten years ago and yes it was straight forward and painless, but I had both eyes done within a couple of months my optician found them and referred me.
But all isn’t plain and simple after surgery your new lenses are made of plastic and when the sun shines it bounces off your lenses and causes glare.You can’t see it is blinding so you need sunglasses with you at all times even on sunny days in winter I was only person walking around in winter sunglasses on.K
Bet you look cool!

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Vince01 You can book an appointment with your Optician who will refer you to hospital they make the decision on what and when you need treatment. Good luck nothing to worry about straight forward op pain free Good Luck K

• Useful
Reactions: jjraak

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Specsavers advised me to add tinted lenses to my new glasses
Hi Southbeds That’s the best thing has even on bright days glare effects your vision, I stopped driving about 3 years ago I just didn’t feel confident enough to drive with the glare making driving very difficult. It was like someone flashing a light in your eyes has you’re driving along I just didn’t feel safe driving so I stopped.
But not a problem for me my husband and I are long retired so he drives, better for everyone really I’ve had Ractolight lenses they help when walking around on bright or sunny days but not when your driving the light changes to quickly .
and ordinary sunglasses wear sometimes too dark vision.K

Reactions: filly and Southbeds

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I’m 59 years of age and have cataracts have been referred for op , my optician told me that diabetics are definitely more susceptible to cataracts at an earlier age .
That's borne out by my mother's experience at the age of 51 in 1971. She had cataracts in both eyes and the ophthalmologist said to her "You're young to have cataracts. Do you have diabetes in your family?"
"Only my second son" (me!)
I'm now 13 years older than she was and have the onset of cataracts.
Happy New Year to one of the most positive people on the forum!