What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D: ended up being yesterday's leftover roast chicken reheated in cream and cream cheese with spinach and plenty of pepper stirred through. Hubby had his with leftover roast potatoes. I just had a couple of spoonfuls. More white wine and 1 chocolate from the expensive box. I'm only having the dark ones. Luckily he likes the white and milk ones.
Happy valentines day everyone

RosemaryJackson

Had a babybel and a coffee with cream for bf because it was the monday lunch club and I knew I would go over my carb limit. I took my bg before I went and again 2 hours later. It was 9 before and 11.6 after. I have no idea why it was 9 because I have been keeping to the lcdiet. I can only think that I am getting distressed because on March 4th it will be a year since my beloved daughter died. Any ideas if this could be the case? My bg has been higher for the last couple of days. Today we had oxtail soup, small portion of meat pie, 2 scoops of potato and gravy with cauli and carrot. For afters it was a trifle made in a glass tumbler. Plus because it was Valentines day they gave us a chocolate. For my tea I had 4 slices bacon and 2 fried eggs with small portion of canned tomatoes.Just taken my level and it is 7.1 and I have heartburn from Hades. Probably deserve it!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you ask him to share how he makes them turn out like this?
You never know, I might be in a patient mood at some point...
He cuts the celeriac into slices (about 1 in thick), and then he trims of the ugly bits. He then patiently cuts them into fries (pretty much all the same size!).
While this is going on, I have a baking tray heating in the oven. 400F or 200C. Put however many skinny fries you want in a bag (I use a ziplock), then add a tablespoon of olive oil or avocado oil, ground salt and pepper. I also add paprika most of the time. Give the bag a good shake/massage to coat then spread the fries on the hot tray. Keep them spread out. Depending on size they take about 20 - 25 mins.
I've done them in the air fryer as well, but I find they are not as crisp.

Reactions: DJC3

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp your Sunday feast sounds great. I Haven’t had white pudding for years. I was introduced to Captain Morgan Spiced Rum recently - absolutely gorgeous! Have you tried it?
Hi @DJC3 , I hope you get better soon. My remedy for bug is a measure of port with a measure of brandy. As for the Capt Morgan, have tried it, but found it a bit too sweet for my taste. I really prefer a good dark rum. Authentic navy rum such as https://pussersrum.com/pages/history
Mainly make do with Lambs Navy Rum, but I am from a seafaring family.;) I limit myself to once a week imbibing, just have slightly more than a tot.

Today I didn’t feel like eating until after 1pm. Possibly due to the Sunday feast. Just had coffee, then evening dinner was romanesce cauliflower with German smoked cheese and salami, mineral water, and will have a glassof coconut milk before bedtime.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox - so sorry to read about your Mum. Hope she recovers soon. We had a similar situation trying to visit SIL. You were to phone the hospital (but only after certain times) to find out if you could visit and, if so, what time you were allowed in.

B. TAG and 2 slices back bacon with 2 fried eggs and 5 santini tomatoes.
L. Coconut milk
D. Repeat of yesterday. Butcher had given me so much fillet it was another 2 portions of stroganoff with celeriac fries (Hubby cut enough yesterday so, they were in a tupperware container in the fridge).

@DJC3 hope you feel better soon. My delivery today was very late. Shortage of drivers but it arrived and, they sent me a £10 voucher for the inconvenience. I also had time to REALLY clean the fridge!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spice my own rum so I can be sure there's no extra sugar in it. Simply put a clove or 2-4 and a cinnamon stick and a vanilla pod or essence into a bottle, and shake regularly for a few weeks. When it's a flavour you like, remove the spices. Orange peel works well too, as does black pepper. We had a commercial one for Christmas that also dried seaweed in. Haven't tried that myself yet.

Reactions: Pipp and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a babybel and a coffee with cream for bf because it was the monday lunch club and I knew I would go over my carb limit. I took my bg before I went and again 2 hours later. It was 9 before and 11.6 after. I have no idea why it was 9 because I have been keeping to the lcdiet. I can only think that I am getting distressed because on March 4th it will be a year since my beloved daughter died. Any ideas if this could be the case? My bg has been higher for the last couple of days. Today we had oxtail soup, small portion of meat pie, 2 scoops of potato and gravy with cauli and carrot. For afters it was a trifle made in a glass tumbler. Plus because it was Valentines day they gave us a chocolate. For my tea I had 4 slices bacon and 2 fried eggs with small portion of canned tomatoes.Just taken my level and it is 7.1 and I have heartburn from Hades. Probably deserve it!
Hug from me I’m certain that emotional distress and anything stressful can contribute to blood sugar rises we are all different but it does for me. There is a biological link between release of cortisol causing your body to release sugar ready for you to take action. Always a good idea at times like this to look after yourself and try and work on some relaxation and breathing - yoga? Mindfulness? Or just taking time to do some deep breathing. Take care

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, small portion of baked beans, mushrooms for breakfast.
Beef and bacon pie without the lid for lunch.
Some sort of a beef and veggie casserole for dinner.

Blue cheese on pepper crackers watching a docco series on Prime Video.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: scrambled eggs (60g egg white plus 1 whole egg), slice of rye toast with hummusa nd tomato salsa.
L: chicken casserole (chicken breast, cauiliflower rice, white beans, mushrooms, mushroom soup, mozzarella)
D: slice of rye toasted with mozzarella, mayo and mustard, roma tomato.
Coffee at each meal - alas without my 35% cream, as I am boycotting the Canadian dairy cartel for raising the price of milk products by 10%. The mozzarella was from what I still had in the fridge!
Needed 20u of novorapid to neutralize the carbs.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spice my own rum so I can be sure there's no extra sugar in it. Simply put a clove or 2-4 and a cinnamon stick and a vanilla pod or essence into a bottle, and shake regularly for a few weeks. When it's a flavour you like, remove the spices. Orange peel works well too, as does black pepper. We had a commercial one for Christmas that also dried seaweed in. Haven't tried that myself yet.

Good idea about the spiced rum. I’ve made flavoured gin and vodka by the same method adding raspberries, strawberries or citrus rind, that works really well and looks really pretty too. Not sure I’d fancy a seaweed infused rum though.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Emotion and stress can very definitely cause a rise in BG. Sending hugs for this awful anniversary.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

So sorry to hear of your loss. Of course your BG will be high at the moment. Stress can do that. Even doing everything you can to control it, there are those other things which you can't control. You will come back to normal though. Do try to relax a bit and not worry about anything extra.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What did you use the leftover yolks for?
In Canada, we get egg whites in cartons:
upload_2022-2-15_6-23-53.jpeg

Scrambled eggs or omelettes with only egg whites is not really tasty, so the compromise to keep my kidney doctor happy. :)

RosemaryJackson

@shelley262, @Annb Thank you. Just to be awkward my fbg was 4.9 this morning! Never been that before! @DJC3 hope you are feeling better too. @Rachox hope your mum soon feels better too.
My bf cum lunch was 4 bacon,1 egg,2 sausages,mushrooms and small portion of canned tomatoes. Dinner will be Baked chicken and celeriac chips as per @maglil55's husbands way of doing them