Libre 2 running out of steam towards the end of 14 days

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've followed the general advice to fit the new sensor a couple of days before activating to allow it to bed in.

However the last couple have started reading very low in the last 2-3 days of the 14 day period.

I'm going to try and fit the new sensor when the old one runs out and see if this makes a difference.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps there’s a sweet spot. Instead of 48 hrs bedding in maybe 24? Were you getting issues activating it immediately? It seems to vary person to person and maybe even insertion to insertion depending on what it does or doesn’t hit.

I’ve not used many but always read about them as I like the idea but can’t quite get over the issues & the costs and as a type 2 a few years in I’m not sure how much I can justify more use.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been giving my sensors more than 48 hours to bed in for years and never experienced them running out of juice.
I think that's a red herring.

Reactions: Sarahlouxoxo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've followed the general advice to fit the new sensor a couple of days before activating to allow it to bed in.

However the last couple have started reading very low in the last 2-3 days of the 14 day period.

I'm going to try and fit the new sensor when the old one runs out and see if this makes a difference.

Hi,

Have you verified thism"low period" against a BG meter?

I'll be honest. I normally give it a crossover period on my libres of 3/4 hours max? (If not just an hour warm up after planting?) Personally, never any issue.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thinking more about this, if a sensor was running out of juice, I would expect functions such as the Bluetooth alerts to stop working. If it is reporting very low, you will be seeing more alerts which require more battery rather than less.

It sounds as if there is problem with the sensor not the transmitter.
The only time I have seen a sensor reporting incorrect low values for a prolonged time (excluding compression lows) is when it has become dislodged. There is not much glucose in skin or fresh air.

@LittleGreyCat Is it possible that the sensor has been knocked/nudged/dislodged? For example when you shower each day, is it possible that as you wipe the area around the sensor, you nudge it slightly?

Beepie

I use these too . What I have noticed is that the reader is taking longer and longer to show my result. It was instant when I started with it 18 months ago but now it takes about 6 seconds for the result to show in the window. It’s not really a problem for me but just a change I’ve noticed .Anyone else noticed this ?

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
On days 13 and 14 the sensor gets almost as inaccurate as it is on the first days.
It seems on day 1 and 2 the readings are higher and on day 13 and 14 lower.

now it takes about 6 seconds for the result to show in the window.
What happens if you push the power button for 30 seconds?

finzi1966

I use these too . What I have noticed is that the reader is taking longer and longer to show my result. It was instant when I started with it 18 months ago but now it takes about 6 seconds for the result to show in the window. It’s not really a problem for me but just a change I’ve noticed .Anyone else noticed this ?

I use a phone not a reader, but I’ve definitely noticed it taking longer - like you say it’s not really a problem as such but just slightly irritating.

I don’t generally seem to have a problem at the *end* of sensor life, apart from one that dramatically failed on me on about day 10, having produced a run of about 5 readings in the 2’s. I do often have high readings at the beginning and I’ve gone from 24 hour to 48 hour early insertion and next time I’m going for 72 hours. This one has been in since Sunday and it’s only just beginning to settle down from reading about 1.5mmol too high.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Morning Beepie. I experience this was well. My way of resolving it is to switch my phone off and then on again. For me that seems to sort things out. It is s recurring problem though.

Good luck

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you verified thism"low period" against a BG meter?

Yes.
When the low BG alarm sounds I check.
Then find I'm still in the 5s.
Then I turn the alarm off.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thinking more about this, if a sensor was running out of juice, I would expect functions such as the Bluetooth alerts to stop working. If it is reporting very low, you will be seeing more alerts which require more battery rather than less.
"Running out of juice" wasn't intended to imply the battery was running down, just that the package as a whole wasn't recording properly any more.
I would suspect the sensor probe in the arm, as the most likely.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
On days 13 and 14 the sensor gets almost as inaccurate as it is on the first days.
It seems on day 1 and 2 the readings are higher and on day 13 and 14 lower.

At least I am not the only one!

Delaying activation seems to improve accuracy on the first couple of days - this last one was spot on when I checked.
However the drop off in performance over the last two or three days is, for me, worse than reading high for the first couple of days.

Perhaps it is a body thing - some reaction with the sensor part which limits the life.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@LittleGreyCat Is it possible that the sensor has been knocked/nudged/dislodged? For example when you shower each day, is it possible that as you wipe the area around the sensor, you nudge it slightly?

I would class this as unlikely as I have never had any issues with the sensor remaining attached.

It always requires effort to peel it off when it is finished.

Also, I would assume that this would show itself soon after a knock, not consistently at the end of the 14 days.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just an update to say that I fitted the new sensor immediately the old one came to an end and activated it immediately.
First finger prick was spot on.

Nick78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have noticed this aswell my latest one doesn't want to give me a reading keeps saying error then after I've scanned it about 10 times it will read,I fitted one before Xmas it only lasted 2 days then said it had expired,not convinced by them to be honest some of the readings don't look right to me at night when I am asleep they are spiking up and down say they went up to 18 they would come back down but then start climbing again,also I've had my alarm go off saying they low say 3.2 etc but after a while start climbing again despite not eating again did a sort of test doesn't seem right my usual graphs look like a heart monitor

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
It is official now:

afbeelding.png

The first 2 days it is about 1.1 mmol/l higher and surprisingly consistent. (the old reader is 5 minutes more behind than the new one, they all run late).

It goes up much faster and further and comes down much slower.
With one exception; if it comes down from exercise that goes much faster.

Fotf effect was ~3 times bigger and so was the dawn effect!