Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1644687197001.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all been MIA for a bit, had my second cataract op and looking at a screen was v difficult in between and not great now until I get new specs. Distance vision is great again though! Also been back & forth for other medical stuff and just been diagnosed with a torn cartilage in my left knee, now have to wiat for GP to get the result of scan and refer me to someone to see if it can be repaired; I'm not terribly optimistic but you never know.

Hope everyone here is well, I may not be around so much until I can see better to use a screen. At the moment, more than five minutes and I start to get a headache, so I'm trying to be sensible. Which is more than diabetes is a lot of the time :hilarious:

Reactions: karen8967

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Afternoon everyone. Very wet and cold here all weekend. Hope you have a nice time with your grandson Becca.

Hope you can get your knee repaired hh1, it sounds very painful! Hope you soon get your new glasses, have missed seeing you on this thread.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@HH If it’s just torn cartilage it usually gets taken care of by laser surgery, at least that's what they did years ago.They actually just shave off the tear. As long as that is the only thing. Unfortunately as we age we wear down the cartilage and if you don’t have enough cartilage then it’s a different story.

I’ve torn cartilage 3 times, twice on one side and once on the other. They say it doesn’t heal, but I took glucosamine and MSM and it did regrow. (I was younger too.) The first time I know because of the MRI and then the surgery. That time my knee kept “locking” up or felt like it would collapse and I was wearing a heavy duty brace. Surgery got canceled 2 times and by the time I got the gumption to try a third time (a couple of years later,) my cartilage had regrown. But it hadn’t healed right because it turned out I had fractured my kneecap and the roughness of the bone kept tearing up the cartilage and it was catching. That turned out to be a surprise. They ended up having to smooth the bone and cut off the cartilage anyway. None of that showed up in the MRI.

The other times my knees had hurt a lot at first but by the time I got x-rays and then an MRI my knee wasn't hurting hardly so I waited it out. In my case I never had any issues later with it. But I knew that I had healed that first time and it felt different and not that bad after a few months plus.

I hope everything goes smoothly. It really was a pretty simple surgery. I just really hate surgery.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. Bad start, sensor failed at day 4 after my swim. Just when I needed it for checking that arrow direction. Plus as I’m now only allowed 50 strips a month, it is seriously denting my supply. Grr…!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, rang Abbott, new one on the way. Took old one off. When I put it on on Friday it bled (not unusual) but that night I couldn’t lie on it. No wonder, stonking bruise underneath. No wonder it threw in the towel.

Last edited:

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got my eye screening results back yesterday which say there are signs of diabetic maculopathy and need further tests. To say I’m anxious is an understatement, I know it’s not best to but I have looked it up more as the letter I’ve been sent isn’t the most helpful but some places do suggest a rapid improvement in hba1c can cause retinopathy signs. It’s predicted my hba1c has improved by around 26 points or 2.6%. I’m hoping this is the case for me and everything will be fine

RVW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Nicola M,

I also had the same results a couple of years ago now telling me i have diabetic maculopathy and can fully understand you`re concern about it, for me they had found bleeding at the back of one of my eyes and had to have regular 3 monthly check ups for a year which at the end i got told it had healed by itself which was a relief and now back to yearly check ups.

I`m sure you`ll be ok and go to you`re check ups.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Nicola M Big Hugs. Scary stuff. But I have also heard sudden changes can cause some issues so hopefully you will be okay.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, many thanks for the good wishes and hopeful messages about my knee. I'll keep you posted!

@Nicola M that must feel very scary, hoping it's your improved resulsts and that all turns out to be okay.

Reactions: Marie 2

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We have had severe winds and heavy rain up here in the north for 4 days now. To say the media is biased is an understatement. Take it us northerners are just a hardy lot.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Not much happening here, I went snorkeling again but the water is incredibly murky for us right now. We have some high surf warnings and the waves were reaching 30 feet and while those were breaking farther out, I think they were stirring up the water closer to shore too. So it was good exercise and sunny, but you couldn't see anything unless it was right in front or under you! That's considered possible shark water when the water is like that, because they can't tell and see what's what either, except there are rarely sharks where we swim. But I'm certainly not as likely to stray as far out!

Last edited: