How many cups of coffee do you have per day?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wait. What? Come again? You make your coffee with a third of the cup/mug/glass being double cream?? Blimey, that is crazy. Each to their own and everything, but that is a bit way out there. You must have to boil the cream first to stop it making your coffee instantly cold :wideyed:

I do too although I use a medium cup....I do have to pop the coffee (plus cream) into a microwave to make it hot though having gone to the trouble of investing in an espresso machine. When we were in Italy and I asked for my coffee that way, they were aghast! They did it though.

M

Member496333

I do too although I use a medium cup....I do have to pop the coffee (plus cream) into a microwave to make it hot though having gone to the trouble of investing in an espresso machine. When we were in Italy and I asked for my coffee that way, they were aghast! They did it though.

Barmy stuff. Well as long as y’all enjoy it that’s the main thing :wideyed:

Reactions: KK123

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If by "medium cup" you mean a normal tea cup size, then a third of a cup of double cream would be about 300kcal. which seems a lot for a drink.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wait. What? Come again? You make your coffee with a third of the cup/mug/glass being double cream?? Blimey, that is crazy. Each to their own and everything, but that is a bit way out there. You must have to boil the cream first to stop it making your coffee instantly cold :wideyed:
In North America, we refer to the % as the fat % of milk or cream. Thus
0% milk
1% milk
2% milk
3.25% milk
10% cream
18% cream and
35% cream

Creams%20%281%29.png

>

Last edited:

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is coffee bad for kidneys?
Apparently there is some substance in coffee that is bad for one if one has chronic kidney disease (CKD). I don't think it applies when one has normal kidney function.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I usually have one cup to start the day.
However that is 3 heaped spoons of instant plus butter and double cream.
I usually also have a black americano at the coffee stop on cycle ride Wednesdays

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm sitting here with my first lovely strong cup of coffee for the day (I was trained in coffee drinking by serious coffee drinkers - the Swedes, so I learnt my limits with that divine drug caffeine as a young woman). (The Swedes by the way, were the first folks to do scientific studies of the effects of coffee drinking, although I am quite sure the peoples who first discovered it made a fantastic stimulant and drink had lively conversations like this one of the effects and personal limitations with it also!)

First of all - @jape - I had a kidney function scare recently (urine test result, as opposed to the egfr). So before I got the re-test results I read up in here and scientific papers online on the effect of coffee on kidneys, and the bladder (it can be an irritant). I am just waking up (yeah - with my Swedish-strength coffee) - so I am will reviist with the papers' links - cos this is good info for us to talk about. I cut down my generous consumption first, just in case, but quickly understood that there is no relationship between coffee and the drink, and kidney malfunction and decline - is my understanding. In fact, adorably - there is at least one paper which suggests coffee has a protective effect! (I was not expecting that either.) it would be interesting to hear why your doctor suggests coffee is contributing to CKD - as in the evidence and all that. Doctors mean well of course - but can jump on the nutrition thing with just the same knowledge as everyone else without disclosing that - and patients can think the doctor actually knows on the subject.... well.

Coffee and tea can be dehyrdrating, so if you are a fan - make sure you aren't drinking it or a lot of it before a standard diabetes check urine test - too much can skew the results. (High summer with high humidity here - so too easy to get dehyrated I discovered - drank a ton of water for an afternoon test, not a first thing in the morning one for the re-test.) (Yes - all normal. Whew!) (the egfr results, from the blood, was the correct one as it was.)

So my two cents worth - coffee not bad for the kidneys, but, it can be a irritant on your poor old bladder! If you have a poor old bladder. (I do! Alas.) So I keep my consumption to 2 or 3 in the morning, and the same with tea. And that helps my bladder issues which I won't go into! Just to say I have them.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hej på dig, @Glyko.

When fasting/IFing - I drink coffee and tea, herb tea, water. Or if necessary - bone broth (if I need energy for instance), and coffee with cream for the same reason. Big thing to remind myself - drink heaps of water. Your body super needs it when fasting and IFing, more than usual, and one can get caught up with life and forget too easily I find. To one's peril!

When Very-Low-Calorie-Dieting (twice for two months a-piece), I gave a gave a - 3-5 calorie I think it was - count for all that plant matter pulversied in my tea pot and in the coffee perculator. And just measured and counted the cream and - I can't remember if I drank bone broth in those days. (i never want to count calories again - ever! Four months of my life was enough.) (But that is just me. I am not a numbers person unless I have to.)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Two big mugs of strong black cafetiere coffee each morning.

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
3 cups one at 7 o’clock one at 11 o’clock then one at 2 o’clock but heaped spoon fulls black coffee tho.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Down to 4 a day, each cup made with 8 grams coffee and 60 grams water via a macchinetta.

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One medium cup of black cafetière coffee in the morning for me - more then that and I get wicked acid reflux